IW STi Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 11/7/14 VIR Holiday Laps

Finally got around to uploading the video I took at VIR last friday. Sadly I had to leave early so I could only do one run, and didnt even get to hit their kart track :( To me, the kart track is the best part, because you can actually go all out (unlike the parade laps).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Continental DWS installed for winter

Well I put on a set of 255/40/17 Continental DWS for the winter. They wound up being about $140/tire and they come with a 50K mile warranty.

Right off the bat, the first thing I noticed is the dramatically softer sidewalls. Some people complain that the MPSS have soft sidewalls, but I never felt they were soft. These ARE though...

That being said, I'm OK with the softer sidewalls. I didnt buy these tires to take Auto-Xing. They do have pretty decent grip despite the soft sidewalls though, so its not a total loss.

The DWS actually provide a more comfortable ride, which is actually a bonus as we near the holiday season and have trips planned to see relatives. The ride will be nicer with the softer sidewalls.

All in all, i'm pretty pleased with the tires knowing that they are NOT summer tires... Being able to get them in 255 width to get farther from the "stretched" tire look is also a small bonus. Can't have people mistaking me for one of those stance-tards...:lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Continental DWS installed for winter

I had the DWS's on my 2.5i, great tires, best all season you can get.

I just bought a set of used Continental Extreme Winter Contacts for $200, only had 5,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

I had the DWS's on my 2.5i, great tires, best all season you can get.

I just bought a set of used Continental Extreme Winter Contacts for $200, only had 5,000 miles on them.
man, thats a steal! I'm a little jealous right now...

I really hope we get some decent snow this year so I can test out the snow grip on these Conti's. Supposed to be pretty decent :tup: (unlike my super sports... lol)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Strange Radiator Issue RESOLVED!

So I just fixed two issues with my "cooling system" that recently surfaced.

1. I reused the OEM hose clamps when I swapped my radiator (DONT DO THAT) and I just replaced them due to leakage...

2. I had a strange issue of my upper radiator hose being under a negative pressure and squeezing down when the car cooled off... The only thing I could think of, was that the radiator caps were not allowing fluid to come back into the system from the overflow as the system cooled and depressurized. So I bought two new OEM caps (yes I verified the pressures were correct). And low-and-behold, the issue is fixed! I love it when the first thing I try fixes a problem :tup:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

As I found, having the caps switched will also cause that condition. The caps are indeed different. Radiator vs fill tank reservoir.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

As I found, having the caps switched will also cause that condition. The caps are indeed different. Radiator vs fill tank reservoir.

I didn't think about that, but it makes sense!

I was worried when I ordered the new caps that they would simply send two 137KPa Radiator caps, since not many cars have a two reservoir system like the STI, but they got it right :tup:

It helps that one is round and one has the finger-tab-thingys on the sides to turn with. Easy to identify which is which.

·
Registered
159 Posts

man, thats a steal! I'm a little jealous right now...

I really hope we get some decent snow this year so I can test out the snow grip on these Conti's. Supposed to be pretty decent :tup: (unlike my super sports... lol)
They definitely had plenty of grip in the snow, in fact if I remember correctly, they had the best snow/ice grip of any all-season on the market when I bought mine. Not sure if that's still true today but I never had an issue with them.

Hope they work out for you.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Swapping to an Integrated Key from a Legacy?

So, thanks to khunter25, my interest in the integrated key/lock buttons has resurfaced.

The key I would use is from a Legacy:

found one on ebay for about $38 here.

Now I can get that cut to match my current key, and get the shop to program the lock and unlock buttons. That much is straight forward and easy.

The problem is that third button (actually the problem is me), and my pointlessly grand aspirations. To me, for that key swap to be worth it, that third button should be usable! My buddies LGT has the trunk button, and I like that so much better than having to jam my key into the trunk lock...

There are two parts to the issue revolving around the third button opening the trunk:
1 - adding a trunk pop solenoid, and wiring it up
known solutions: aftermarket alarm, or modifying the single/double unlock button
2 - getting the third button to work
known solutions: none yet

I don't want to go the route of an aftermarket alarm, so that leaves the idea of modifying the single/double unlock to: single click = unlock all doors, double click = trunk pop. The problem with that, is that I like having the two unlock options, and this still leaves a third button that is unused (I know its me being OCD, but that really bothers me).

Ideally I would be able to swap a keyless entry control module from a car that has a trunk pop feature, but as I found out today; it appears all "three button" subarus use a fundamentally different system (can bus?) than the impreza, so there is not simple plug-and-play part swapping solution.

I do, however, still think it might be possible to use a "three button" receiver from another car and modify it to work in the impreza. There has to be a way to have a receiver that can be programmed to all three buttons, wired to the car... Although I'm sure it will require an Electrical Engineer (I'm a Mechanical) and some spare parts to take receivers to take apart and play with...

The last option is to figure out what the RF of the third button is and get an aftermarket RF receiver, tune it to that frequency, and use it as a complete separate system for the trunk pop... That is the more "jerry-rigged" way to do it, but it could work. Still not ideal though.

Anyone know an EE with some spare time? :rolleyes:

Am I OCD? I feel OCD...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #194

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - I PASSED THE PE!!!

Congrats!!! :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Cool! Congrats! Time to toast your favorite beverage. I'm going to go do a shot of Sauza XA in your honor.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #200

Not real sure yet, lol

That link just takes me to the NC board home page, and the only thing I found on there said a packet with all my info is being mailed to me...

I imagine ordering a stamp is next. In the mean time Im starting a new job in January. (Same stuff, different place) :)

181 - 200 of 1193 Posts