Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
View Single Post
Old 10-28-15, 04:20 AM  
BlueScooby
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 4 (rear diffuser)

So I found myself in the garage last night for a bit. Found out that 1) I have a coolant leak from the thermostat housing gasket, and 2) my passenger front axel has a torn boot and no grease which might explain the noises I've been hearing occasionally...

After deciding to do nothing about those last night (since it was already late), i decided to spend a few minutes on some of the minor aero improvements I want to add.

First off, I added a flexible foam "garage door" gasket to the bottom of the front bumper. I would've taken a pic of it back on the car for better perspective, but I didn't put it back on yet...

Then I added some some rubber the the rear wheel air deflector thingys. The material for this one is from commercial floor molding that goes over carpet. I just cut it up to fit and riveted it on.

While I had the car up, I noticed something interesting. There was some neat "water patterns" under the car. Yesterday it was raining all day so the car was soaked. By time I got under the car last night it was partially drying off. The interesting bit is where the water was under the car. Under the majority of the front part of the car, it was all DRY. But the "phase 3" panels and the rear diffuser were still SOAKED. The drivers side had much more water on it than the passenger side, and that is the side that has the end fence installed on the diffuser. Even though the diffuser still has a lot of work left, and will increase in efficiency from were it is, the water pattern seems to suggest that it is all working! This is probably about as close to a wind tunnel as I will ever see...

If you look close you can see the rear panels are wet and the front are dry

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-03-17 at 09:23 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0