Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
View Single Post
Old 08-04-13, 05:32 PM  
BlueScooby
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/4/13 Brake Duct/Ram Intake

So I decided to play with the idea of a brake duct setup, but seeing as thats not very relevant for street driving, I decided to build what could become a brake duct, but is used as a "Ram" intake on the road. I do not have the factory air box, so my short-ram intake is just sucking up hot engine-bay air... Now it would've been a good idea to record some intake temperatures before and after to see the effectiveness... but I missed that boat. I may try to find out a little later though (by blocking off the ram air for a control temp).

First I picked up some super cheap, painted, fog-light surrounds on ebay (they are not OEM, but they are darn close), then I went to Lowes for the rest.

I picked up a piping reducer to attach to the fog surround, some JB Weld, a aluminum flexible duct (I was actually looking for a vinyl fabric one...), some window screen material and a piping "pitch pocket" (which i did not need).

Supplies:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-materials-jpg

Test-Fit the reducer/piping/screen material:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-throughshot-jpg

JB Welding the fog surround and the reducer. NOTE, I removed the piping and mesh for this part. After mixing up a ton of JB Weld and liberally applying it, the reducer kept trying to slip off, so I had to hold it on for a good 20 minutes, until i could manage to stack a ton of crap on it while i cured...
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-jbweld-jpg

Fully Assembled:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-finished1-jpg
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-finished2-jpg

Installed:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-bumper-jpg
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-underhood-jpg

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06

Last edited by BlueScooby; 02-26-14 at 05:31 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0