IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1196 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Random Suspension Question...

So I've got a random question. We get strut clunk in the rear struts as a result of the grease pushing out, which is supposedly a kind of common issue with the inverted strut design.

My confusion comes from why its only the rear struts though... Are the front struts NOT an inverted strut? Anyone know why they don't develop strut clunk also?

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts

Length? Rears are a lot longer.
Just a guess, I don't know.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Length might have something to do with it. The sideload on a damper that long probably makes the damper shaft rub against the housing with more force in the rear than in the front. I'm not sure either.

But yea both front and rear dampers are inverted.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #205

Sounds reasonable. Im wonder if anyone actually "knows" the answer, or if speculation is as close as we will get...

This is plausible enough to satisfy my curiosity at least. Sometimes my mind wanders a bit... Haha

·
Registered
815 Posts

The best explanation I have read, now that I remember and have thought about it, was that is was due to a simple design flaw in the rear dampers where the grease is actually pulled away from the bushings that end up making noise over time. Probably dries them out or something.

Maybe my explanation regarding side loads based off of what I call my "idiot intuition" (i.e. no data at all :lol:) also has something to do with it. Probably not... :)

·
Registered
159 Posts

When I pulled mine apart I noticed more wear on the backside of the strut. If you look at the rear of the vehicle it is at a slight angle to increase stabilization while driving (Engineered fancy stuff).

Like so...

With that in mind and a stationary position (compared to the fronts which angles can change based on steering position causing different loads on the seals) I can only assume that the seals eventually stretch, wear and become ob longed creating a minor gap in the seal and strut itself. Water, debris and other foreign contaminants can effect this and reduce the consistency of the grease itself causing inadequate seal and lubrication.

I am just guessing and assuming from what I found with my own suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Combo-Flip Key

So I pulled the trigger on the Flip-key. Parts should be here in the next week or two.

I was debating on whether or not to do it since the trunk button thing has shown no signs of working out yet. But now that I have started my new job, I have a keyfob that was added to my keychain, so the consolidation/space-savings are enough to press onward!

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

So I got everything in. The legacy key came with a immobilizer chip as well, so I got that all programmed. The only problem is the flip key shell I bought. I bought it on ebay, and the "shank" on the key blade is too long so I can't use it :( Also, its cheaply made...

So I bought a new flip key shell from the guy who sells them and wrote the how-to over on nastysock; it should be here Thursday. I haven't heard anything bad about his stuff, so I'm not expecting any issues. I should be able to get the key cut, swap in the guts, and viola!

stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)

Flip key conversion complete!

Had what seemed like a major problem, but it turned out not to be. The dealer said the "shank" on the key was a different length so the key wouldn't line up right with the tumblers in the lock. Got a locksmith to cut it anyway, and it worked like a charm! (Thanks Khunter25!)

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Exhaust Options

I've recently started reliving the idea of an aftermarket catback.

Initially I thought a Cobb DP and stock catback was the way to go (I like the quiet/under the radar thing) but I'm now thinking thats not enough...

So according to the list of catbacks in order of their "loudness" here, the quietest two systems are the Fujitsubo Legalis R and the Maddad Whisper.

The fujitsubo appears to neck down to 2.5" at the downpipe connection, so not a "full 3 inch" system :(

The maddad is full 3"! I have also read tons of good things about it on here/nastysock.

Maddad also makes a pretty cool downpipe as well. The catted V2 is very interesting design. I like that the wastegate tube connects downstream of the cat, so minimal restriction.

So who wants to buy all this for me ;)

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Maddad Whisper Ordered

Well I pulled the trigger on the Maddad Whisper. I'm pretty excited about it; I have wanted a little more exhaust note since I bought the car! I got the dual tip version...

Now once I get it installed, I can pick up the underbody panels project again. I had left it on hold until I finalized my exhaust setup. So I can restart the panel fabbing :) I need to buy some more ABS sheets...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Maddad Whisper Ordered

Fellow Maddad Whisper setup (catted dp and single-tip exhaust) owner here. I've had it on the car for years now, I love it. No qualms. Enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Maddad Whisper INSTALLED! (with pics)

Well, I got the CBE put on this week. Its a beautiful exhaust, full 3" dual tip SS :)

Its certainly louder than stock for sure. Its borderline louder than I wanted to be, but I may have just been used to the stock exhaust... Its definitely tame. Can easily hold a convo inside the car still. Strangely enough, the wife didn't even notice that it was installed... *shrug*

Installed with kartboy extended hangers. Bought both extended and regular length, and just barely needed to go with the extended ones. Fun fact for you, it sounds like the kartboy hangers need to be replaced or they will break in about 3 years (according to what they have seen at my shop).

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Maddad Whisper INSTALLED! (with pics)

So apparently there is some "breaking-in" with a new CBE...

I know I'm also getting used to the exhaust but it is definitely quieter... I'm able to hear more of the engine and transmission-whine than I did originally. The car is certainly louder at idle and low rpm, but once I'm driving its really not that loud. Very pleased with how this exhaust is turning out.

In other news, I have two small projects I am working on. I am building a "utility" panel to go behind the backseat in the trunk (to mount tools to and such), as well as picking up the flat-bottom-panels project. Exciting stuff ;)

201 - 220 of 1196 Posts