IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Sparco EVO 2 Installed - 4/4/14

So if I can find a Recaro Pole position, I think I'm going to trade out that sparco seat. Recaro is known to fit much better...

In the mean time, I think my next project will continue the underbody aero i started with the flat bottom bumper i made. Now I want to make the rest of the car a flat bottom. Ive got a few ideas on how to tackle it, but exhaust heat is definitly going to be an issue... I started a thread to ask some specific questions, if any of you have some input feel free to chime in :)

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-exterior/269585-abs-underpanels-vs-exhaust-heat.html#post3992091

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 5/10/14 Auto-X

Auto-X'd at NCCAR this Saturday on their test track! So much fun! I didn't do all that well, but I had a blast. For some reason I was having a hard time focusing, and just went out there flying around... I think the idea of all the run-off area being grass worried me or something :shrug:

My buddy in his Legacy GT beat my time by 2 seconds which means he did a much better job driving his car that I did mine...

Here's a vid of the last run:

·
Registered
87 Posts

Auto-X'd at NCCAR this Saturday on their test track! So much fun! I didn't do all that well, but I had a blast. For some reason I was having a hard time focusing, and just went out there flying around... I think the idea of all the run-off area being grass worried me or something :shrug:

My buddy in his Legacy GT beat my time by 2 seconds which means he did a much better job driving his car that I did mine...

Here's a vid of the last run:
movie
I was out there as well. White gr sedan

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 5/10/14 Auto-X

I was out there as well. White gr sedan

Yeah, i saw you running out there. Your wife said hi on her way over while we were working. Hope you had fun!

Looks like you came in just behind me and my friend in the raw times. Are you stock or modded?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Yeah, i saw you running out there. Your wife said hi on her way over while we were working. Hope you had fun!

Looks like you came in just behind me and my friend in the raw times. Are you stock or modded?
Other then rally armor. I'm 100% stock including oem tires.

Sorry I missed you

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - suspension question

So, since the Auto-X on saturday I have been contemplating my suspension setup. I get that the ideal Auto-X setup is probably not the same as the ideal road course setup, so bear with me a little here.

I noticed saturday under hard braking (a little bit of trail braking) into corners, that the back end would start to feel like it wants to slide a little. By the time it started feeling this way I was at the point of reducing my brake pressure so it felt like a small twitch. I'd like to know from some guru's what that means exactly. Is that good, or does that mean my rear sway is too stiff? I'm wondering if a softer rear bar would yield more traction in the rear and thus push the car harder/faster. Or was I just at the car's (tires) limit? I'm not sure if I was pushing the car to the limit or if my setup is weaksauce... Or is my setup just more ideal for a road course and not an Auto-X?

I'm not competing seriously, so i doubt I'm going to do anything other than maybe change out the rear sway bar for something that fits my "ideal" setup better, but I'd still like to hear thoughts on how its handling vs course type.

As a recap, my setup is:
JDM Pink Springs on OE struts (FEAL revalve)
RCE Lowering Camber Plates in front
Group N tophats in rear
WL adjustable rear lateral links
WL 27mm FSB
Eibach 25mm RSB (came with the car...)
Kartboy endlinks
WL ALK
WL RCK

alignment:
-1.5 camber on all 4 corners
0 toe

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - suspension question

Was it starting to twitch after you started turning or was it twitching before you started the turning? People here seem to like more spring and less sway. But if you were just a slight twitch you could consider loosing a pound out of the rear?

I'm also assuming your talking about hard breaking.

Also keep Iin mind I screw up all the time when I do this. So I'm not the best to take advice from

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
BlueScooby's 06 STI - suspension question

Was it starting to twitch after you started turning or was it twitching before you started the turning? People here seem to like more spring and less sway. But if you were just a slight twitch you could consider loosing a pound out of the rear?

I'm also assuming your talking about hard breaking.

Also keep Iin mind I screw up all the time when I do this. So I'm not the best to take advice from

The twitch part was when i regained full rear traction as i started getting off the brakes. I hadnt really started to slide, then it stopped when i got back on the gas.

I went with bigger sways and milder springs for a more daily driver setup that retains a high body roll resistance. Its not ideal for the track but it does decent.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Hellas and Rally Armor

So, i figured I'd get on the band wagon here. I had wanted Hellas for a while, and also, after driving through a rather pebbly/rocky area, i decided rocks down the side of my car was bad for the paint so i got both Hellas and RA mudflaps.

Just another subaru with mudflaps and those wierd red horns... :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Power Steering Cooler Install

After some discussion with the local subie shop, and just knowing that our PS lines go down to the PS rack nearby the the turbo/downpipe (read: HOTT), I decided to add a PS cooler. Not only does it help cool off the fluid, but it also adds a little extra capacity which is a nice side benefit. Oil degradation should be reduced with the lower operating temps and slight bump in capacity. All good things :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - New Wheels, Power Steering Cooler, Hellas, RA Mudflaps!

Those will look really nice in gold man, classic color combo with WRB.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - New Wheels, Power Steering Cooler, Hellas, RA Mudflaps!

Those will look really nice in gold man, classic color combo with WRB.
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it. To me, these wheels are what the OEM BBS should have been, so it will be pretty sweet to see them in gold. :)

Now to sell my BBS and spacers...

·
Registered
159 Posts

I would say I'll buy them but I already bought a set. Shouldn't take you too long to get rid of them. Try NASIOC.

101 - 120 of 1193 Posts