IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

Thanks! Yeah, I'm riding on the JDM pass seat base and just living with being a little higher. It's not that bad, and I like the more snug base. I just wish there was a way to lower it an inch or two...

Yeah, I want to go driving through the snow so bad! But snow driving isn't worth a busted car. I'll probably just stay in :(

I want to find a cheap winter setup to have on tap for days like today. Even if we only get one or two a year...

usdm driver rails on the jdm slider/cusion will get you back to your stock height and you still get the tightness of the jdm bottom

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

usdm driver rails on the jdm slider/cusion will get you back to your stock height and you still get the tightness of the jdm bottom

Can't swap those on V7 seats. That's why so many go with the V8 seats. I tried swapping a whole USDM drivers seat base from an 02 WRX (only option), but the cushion is wider and a fundamentally different shape. That's why I went back to the JDM passenger base...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

Can't swap those on V7 seats. That's why so many go with the V8 seats. I tried swapping a whole USDM drivers seat base from an 02 WRX (only option), but the cushion is wider and a fundamentally different shape. That's why I went back to the JDM passenger base...
ahh ok. i thought v7 and v8 were the same besides some stiching patterns.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Mishimoto Radiator Installed - Pics! - 1/6/14

ahh ok. i thought v7 and v8 were the same besides some stiching patterns.

No... Unfortunately not. I would've gone with the V8, but the V7 are supposedly more snug, and I'm a small guy... The V8 are much easier to swap the base as you mentioned tho

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Shifter bushings installed!

So I finally got around to putting in my shifter bushings (TIC Holy Shift Set). These things are awesome. The shifter is much more precise and almost feels gated. I love it!

There is a little bit more transmission whine transmitted to the cabin (I really like it actually), but if you are listening to music you'll never tell the difference. Its not bad at all. :)

In other news, the valve cover gasket on the passenger side (near the turbo) is now leaking oil... Guess I'll have to change that out...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Finally Tuned!

Friday evening I finally got my car tuned. I had been running a 3-port boost controller (came with the car) and it never dawned on me to get the car tuned for it until recently. Luckily I didnt have any over boosting issues, so the only real danger was running lean/knocking... but it seems i didnt have too much of that either. I lucked out.

And I did not know this, but even the stock STI will benefit from a Pro-Tune. The only mods (power-wise) that I have are the intake and the intake box with the snorkel. After finishing my tune (Gino at Turbo Time is amazing!) we uploaded the latest data log into VirtualDyno, and it estimated my power at 300 WHP/WTQ (roughly)! I am completely blown away by that! Car is so much smoother on power delivery and really pulls hard! The best part is the torque curve is very flat and has tons of usable powerband. Shouldve done this two years ago when I bought the car...

EDIT: VirtualDyno power estimation:

I need to play around with VirtualDyno to see what numbers I'm getting on other style dynos. 300AWHP on basically stage 1 seems pretty unrealistic... Also, the powerband doesnt look that smooth but that likely has more to do with the road than the actual engine output... It felt pretty smooth.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

update on the wheels front. I think I've finally settled on the set that I want to buy. SSR GTV02 in 17x9 +45. I am planning on ordering them fairly soon and getting them powder coated gold :) Estimated delivery isn't until April or so.

let the drooling begin:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Nice tune and nice wheel choice.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)

Well, got wounded today in a mostly empty parking lot. The driver backed into my parked car... lucky for me the driver was kind and honest enough to come find me and give me her insurance information...

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - flat bottom bumper! (with pics)

I finally got around to making the flat bottom to my bumper! I just cut some sheets of ABS plastic to fit the underside of my front lip and fastened underneath the car. I'm pretty excited about it :)

Tracing it out:

Cutting it out:

Cutting out area for Beatrush Undertray:

Installed!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - flat bottom bumper! (with pics)

Love the bumper idea. I tried the same thing with colorplast but it explodes the second it gets cold outside lol. I never thought of using ABS. Can its corners be heated and flexed into the correct shape?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
BlueScooby's 06 STI - flat bottom bumper! (with pics)

Love the bumper idea. I tried the same thing with colorplast but it explodes the second it gets cold outside lol. I never thought of using ABS. Can its corners be heated and flexed into the correct shape?

Yea, i heated some of the ABS I'm using in the bumper "mouth" area and it worked perfectly. I was able to form it and let it cool just like i wanted :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

update: door is fixed (has been for about a week actually) and good as new.

i have the sparco seat, and the seat base is finally shipping today. I ordered a "Planted" base and they are made to order, so it took some extra time. Shipping estimate says I should have it on tuesday :)

Then heading up to VIR next friday for some charity laps! Super cheap fun on track :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Painted Headlights (Pictures) 3-24/14

So I decided to paint my headlight housings this weekend. Been wanting to for a while so I finally took the plunge. Took some time, but all in all, not too bad. I'm quite pleased with the result :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Sparco EVO 2 Installed - 4/4/14

So I finally got my Sparco EVO 2 installed. I bought it used and it came with a set of side mounts, so I figured that was something I wounldnt need to buy (wrong).

I ordered the Planted Technology seat base and sparco slider thinking I could just bolt all that up (wrong).

The side mounts that came with my seat must be for a smaller seat or something, because the bottom mount holes were wider/farther apart than the widest holes on the Planted seat base. Not to mention the slider is skinny and sits completely inboard of the side mounts. I called OG Racing, and the person I talked to said this was a common problem with sliders, as race cars don't typically use them. I couldve bought different side mounts that may or may not have fixed the problem... Instead I had the local subie shop fab up a bracket out of plate steel to go between the slider and side mounts (just piece of flat metal with holes drilled to bolt to each).

So I finally get it all bolted up together and ready to put in the car, thinking it should fit no problem (wrong). The shoulders on the Sparco EVO 2 are ENORMOUS! They definitely hit the B-pillar. After sliding the seat (on the base) towards the outside of the car so that it didnt hit the center console, and sliding the seat way forward, I managed to get it to actually bolt to the car. Now with the seat pushed back as far as it can go (shoulder is resting on the B-pillar) it is finally bolted in place. Luckily I'm only 5'8" so this just happens to be where I would put the seat anyway.

So, the seat is in the car, where I want it, but I can't move it, and the left shoulder rests on the B-Pillar (when I sit in it). When I'm out of the seat, there's actually about an 1-16"-1/8" gap between the B-pillar and the seat shoulder. Mostly I'm concerned about the fabric wearing, and someone at a shop or something trying to push the seat back more if they need to drive it.

So I might be trying to swap the seat for something like a Recaro Pole position later... we'll see.

The good news, is that the seat is really comfortable...

81 - 100 of 1193 Posts