IW STi Forum banner

1801 - 1818 of 1818 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have a 2016 STI with ETS FMIC, ETS TBE, ETS CAI, DOM 1.5XTR, ID 1000 injectors, Fuel pump, Flex Fuel kit, and the IAG AOS. It's been protuned and has been running just fine for the last 9000 miles.
Just last week I noticed that there is light white smoke coming out of the IAG AOS breather hose. No other symptom currently displayed except for the white smoke.

Any ideas?

Guys - For the 1,700 of you logged onto this post. - Feel free to chime in anytime.!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I only have a respectable 374WHP and have the same issue... so the issue is caused by something else likely and not power levels.

please let me know if you've found a solution.

Hey Guys ,

Heres to stay along the same thread ( Sort Of )

I have just rebuilt my complete set up using a IAG stage 3 Tuff Block with a new Precision Turbo 6466 Snail

All broken in and tune and whacking out a respectable 730whp @ 26 PSI.

I am however after a small Drive/run even on part boost started to put out big white smoking on idling when car comes to a standstill. I am told by my Tuner and also IAG after contacting that it is my Crawford AOS causing the issue. After these emails i pulled off the bottom port pipe of the Crawford unit that should send this oil back to the motor and DAM - WTF , Loads of oil came spilling out. The oil is not getting back into the engine port as designed . This leads me to believe that the Crawford unit cannot handle the WHP i am putting out.

Obviously IAG want me to ditch the Crawford and fit their AOS but im advised by others to use the Morosso Breather Tank unit. Has anybody installed and used the morosso unit so i can get a reference

Need to close this issue ASAP before i sell car

What is the best way to allow the engine to BREATH with this amount of WHP.?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
155 Posts
maybe not
should be semi fixed, original part referenced is somewhere on the fixed link page
Now there is a possibility that they're not pulling out fast enough from the crankcase but why to the exhaust.? And that also doesn't explain the oil build up in AOS as oil should still be draining back into the block

I cant see how connecting it to the Exhaust would help it.? , What else could it be connected to so that it sucks out the gases faster.?

What about those Morroso breather filter things but not got a lot of room left now as you can see.?

http://Image Link
do yourself a quick test, since you are already VTA this should be easy. disconnect all the crankcase and head breather hoses from the crawford and go for a rip. if the crawford "t"s the head breathers, un "t" them. leave the coolant lines alone. does it still smoke?
I just had a horrible thought.

The crankcase outlet that connects to the AOS pipe originally has a PCV valve that flows air only one way from engine out. What if my mechanic has left that in.? - OR should it be left in.?

In the Crawford AOS set up one pipe ( the pipe that is currently full of oil and crap ) is the drain pipe from the AOS that goes back to the crankcase via the same hole that relieves the pressure.

If my Mechanic has left in the PCV valve then of course the oil cannot drain back into the engine causing a back up.

But this still doesn't / Wouldn't explain how im getting smoking on idling unless somehow the oil back up is blocking the Gas escape but then also i put my hand over the top outlet on the AOS ( which is the normal pipe back to intake) i can feel the gases coming out.

And also why only when engine is Hot and not when cold.?

Oooooooooooof .!!!

Is this a PCV Valve as it looks like its extending from the block ( crankcase breather hole )

Image Link
]Image Link
[/URL]
there should be no PCV in your system or it should be capped. USDM PCV is where that crawford engine block t is. JDM and maybe EDM PCV is screwed into the manifold.
I only have a respectable 374WHP and have the same issue... so the issue is caused by something else likely and not power levels.

white smoke is usually burning coolant

·
Registered
350 Posts

Ive narrowed it down i think to 1 of 2 things.

1 , AOS
2 , Turbo

For the AOS im ditching the Crawford unit and TRYING to buy a IAG VTA competition unit ( If i can find anybody with them in stock including IAG )

For the Turbo side it could possibly be as i have the larger Orbit 12mm pump it could be im putting out too much oil pressue on idle as im doing 32-35PSI on idle engine hot whereas ETS Turbos say it should be around 15-20 PSI. Maybe the pressure is forcing pass the seals and they think maybe i need a bigger than stock oil flow restrictor pill thing into the turbo.

Looks like cars gonna be stationary till i get the IAG as i dont wanna damage anything internally then well see if issue goes away. but i got a hunch its too much crank pressure.

Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive narrowed it down i think to 1 of 2 things.

1 , AOS
2 , Turbo

For the AOS im ditching the Crawford unit and TRYING to buy a IAG VTA competition unit ( If i can find anybody with them in stock including IAG )

For the Turbo side it could possibly be as i have the larger Orbit 12mm pump it could be im putting out too much oil pressue on idle as im doing 32-35PSI on idle engine hot whereas ETS Turbos say it should be around 15-20 PSI. Maybe the pressure is forcing pass the seals and they think maybe i need a bigger than stock oil flow restrictor pill thing into the turbo.

Looks like cars gonna be stationary till i get the IAG as i dont wanna damage anything internally then well see if issue goes away. but i got a hunch its too much crank pressure.

Will keep you updated.
the good old straight up VTA method i posted above is a great diagnostic for the situation you are in, just make sure the hoses wont dump oil onto your exhaust

·
Registered
350 Posts
should be semi fixed, original part referenced is somewhere on the fixed link page

do yourself a quick test, since you are already VTA this should be easy. disconnect all the crankcase and head breather hoses from the crawford and go for a rip. if the crawford "t"s the head breathers, un "t" them. leave the coolant lines alone. does it still smoke?

there should be no PCV in your system or it should be capped. USDM PCV is where that crawford engine block t is. JDM and maybe EDM PCV is screwed into the manifold.

white smoke is usually burning coolant

I did try that although didn't take out the T for the headers - Still smoked - Ill try without a T tomorrow on the drive to mechanics

I know for white smoke maybe coolant but no funny smell and no water levels dropping and its smoke not like steam.

Was also gonna take off an inter cooler pipe to check whats inside but didnt get chance today so will do that also tomorrow when i get to Mechanics

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did try that although didn't take out the T for the headers - Still smoked - Ill try without a T tomorrow on the drive to mechanics

I know for white smoke maybe coolant but no funny smell and no water levels dropping and its smoke not like steam.

Was also gonna take off an inter cooler pipe to check whats inside but didnt get chance today so will do that also tomorrow when i get to Mechanics
oil usually makes blue smoke but its often hard to tell in the rear view. check your turbo's oil drain line. if this is a ball bearing turbo less (compared to stock) oil should come out of it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
oil usually makes blue smoke but its often hard to tell in the rear view. check your turbo's oil drain line. if this is a ball bearing turbo less (compared to stock) oil should come out of it.
Only does it when im idling 2-3 minutes after a drive - even low-no boost then stop. During drive nothing.

Definitely not blue

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well , Found the issue at last.

Turbo Oil seal leaking. Took the down pipe off and full of oil in turbo housing.No back pressure from exhaust on idling so thats why was smoking i think logically

Turbo sent back to Precision Turbo under warranty.Less than 1,000KM with minimal pulls done so lets see what they say. Could have been caused by too much oil pressure but now i doubt it as seals good for 70psi normally and pressure restrictor 0.35 is fitted in the oil feed line.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well , Found the issue at last.

Turbo Oil seal leaking. Took the down pipe off and full of oil in turbo housing.No back pressure from exhaust on idling so thats why was smoking i think logically

Turbo sent back to Precision Turbo under warranty.Less than 1,000KM with minimal pulls done so lets see what they say. Could have been caused by too much oil pressure but now i doubt it as seals good for 70psi normally and pressure restrictor 0.35 is fitted in the oil feed line.
Well , Like Star Wars - The saga continues.

Precision have just shipped back the turbo saying NOTHING is wrong with it even though i found oil leaking exhaust side. They have "Refreshed" The turbo though as they say.!

Should land back tomorrow then refitting time. If it stops smoking now on idle i know they are telling porkies and obviously some issue there was but if it doesn't stop smoking im back to square one.grrrrrr

Lets see in a few days.! -

·
Registered
155 Posts
Only does it when im idling 2-3 minutes after a drive - even low-no boost then stop. During drive nothing.

Definitely not blue
cloud be valve stem seals, but still white smoke is not usually oil. if you have smoke when VTA is is not AOS. you should trust precision knows how to check a turbo unless you can check it yourself. leak down and coolant test strips are your diagnostic route

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I'm in the market for one. I just bought a clean a GR Hatch with Cobb A/P, Downpipe, S/F Intake, & Invidia Q300 with a conservative tune. Car is immaculate and runs great. I plan on autocross and occasional track day. I was leaning towards IAG, but they recommend competition for under 600 HP :confused:. I would hae thought it would be the other way around. Guy had it tuned from a reputable shop in MO, but it's too far away to drive and retune.

Any thoughts to the other brands on market? Perrin, Crawford? Killer B look good too, but it's not heated and pricey compared to others. From what I read nothing else out there needs a retune. I will drive this car all year round in Midwest (IN) which will get cold. Do I need a heated AOS? Just not sure if Street series will suffice for my needs.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I’ve used some different ones since I first got my 04 STi , they only worked so so if at all .
No matter what , with synthetic oil and a High Performance
Engine , you’re gonna burn a bit of oil
I’ve had a “ GrimmSpeed™ *Air/Oil Separator “ since it came out .
because it returns oil back into the crankcase , my oil consumption has been cut in half

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you plan on tracking I would get a AOS. Before install I would get a big cloud of smoke at start up after a run. Thought valve stems or rings but after talking to Andrewtech STI's are known for this issue. So I installed a Crawford AOS on mine and the problem went away. I no longer burn a quart of oil every everyday at the track. Made a BIG difference for me.:lol::lol:

1801 - 1818 of 1818 Posts