IW STi Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1818 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Those fittings look like they are made for hard lines or fittings crimped to flexible lines, similar to fuel injection lines.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Guys ,

Heres to stay along the same thread ( Sort Of )

I have just rebuilt my complete set up using a IAG stage 3 Tuff Block with a new Precision Turbo 6466 Snail

All broken in and tune and whacking out a respectable 730whp @ 26 PSI.

I am however after a small Drive/run even on part boost started to put out big white smoking on idling when car comes to a standstill. I am told by my Tuner and also IAG after contacting that it is my Crawford AOS causing the issue. After these emails i pulled off the bottom port pipe of the Crawford unit that should send this oil back to the motor and DAM - WTF , Loads of oil came spilling out. The oil is not getting back into the engine port as designed . This leads me to believe that the Crawford unit cannot handle the WHP i am putting out.

Obviously IAG want me to ditch the Crawford and fit their AOS but im advised by others to use the Morosso Breather Tank unit. Has anybody installed and used the morosso unit so i can get a reference

Need to close this issue ASAP before i sell car

What is the best way to allow the engine to BREATH with this amount of WHP.?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
111 Posts
......After these emails i pulled off the bottom port pipe of the Crawford unit that should send this oil back to the motor and DAM - WTF , Loads of oil came spilling out. The oil is not getting back into the engine port as designed......
Is it possible that your return oil line is pinched, kinked, or plugged somehow ?
Oil should flow back to the engine via gravity.....especially when the engine is off...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is it possible that your return oil line is pinched, kinked, or plugged somehow ?
Oil should flow back to the engine via gravity.....especially when the engine is off...
I Checked the lines and they all look ok. Is there any kind of filter going back into the crankcase.?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I Checked the lines and they all look ok. Is there any kind of filter going back into the crankcase.?
I don't know of any AOS units out there that use a filter in the drain.

I would definitely check for a clog. You can do this by ̶p̶u̶n̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ pinching all the lines except for the drain, and apply compressed air pressure to the oil fill. Remove the AOS line that would go to the turbo inlet and make sure you have decent unrestricted flow. I would apply ~15psi to start off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't know of any AOS units out there that use a filter in the drain.

I would definitely check for a clog. You can do this by ̶p̶u̶n̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ pinching all the lines except for the drain, and apply compressed air pressure to the oil fill. Remove the AOS line that would go to the turbo inlet and make sure you have decent unrestricted flow. I would apply ~15psi to start off.
Ok Noted for the filter.

FYI , I never plumb back any lines back to the turbo intake as i dont believe in routing possible oil back to the intake system.

Heres what i have as a set up - Very dirty Engine bay sorry and needs a serious clean.!!

http://

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your lack of vacuum may be the issue.

Route the vapors to the exhaust using vacuum. I plan to try this on my NA rally car to start.
Now there is a possibility that they're not pulling out fast enough from the crankcase but why to the exhaust.? And that also doesn't explain the oil build up in AOS as oil should still be draining back into the block

I cant see how connecting it to the Exhaust would help it.? , What else could it be connected to so that it sucks out the gases faster.?

What about those Morroso breather filter things but not got a lot of room left now as you can see.?

http://

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just had a horrible thought.

The crankcase outlet that connects to the AOS pipe originally has a PCV valve that flows air only one way from engine out. What if my mechanic has left that in.? - OR should it be left in.?

In the Crawford AOS set up one pipe ( the pipe that is currently full of oil and crap ) is the drain pipe from the AOS that goes back to the crankcase via the same hole that relieves the pressure.

If my Mechanic has left in the PCV valve then of course the oil cannot drain back into the engine causing a back up.

But this still doesn't / Wouldn't explain how im getting smoking on idling unless somehow the oil back up is blocking the Gas escape but then also i put my hand over the top outlet on the AOS ( which is the normal pipe back to intake) i can feel the gases coming out.

And also why only when engine is Hot and not when cold.?

Oooooooooooof .!!!

Is this a PCV Valve as it looks like its extending from the block ( crankcase breather hole )

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thee valve is meant to keep positive pressure going the other way, thus preventing your AOS from pushing gasses out of the top as you said. Maybe you are missing it and need it.

Also, you said you do not want to plum the oil vapors back to the intake. So the other option is the exhaust, using a E-Vac scavenger kit, Vibrant performance makes them. Part number (VIB 1189)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thee valve is meant to keep positive pressure going the other way, thus preventing your AOS from pushing gasses out of the top as you said. Maybe you are missing it and need it.

Also, you said you do not want to plum the oil vapors back to the intake. So the other option is the exhaust, using a E-Vac scavenger kit, Vibrant performance makes them. Part number (VIB 1189)
Looks like it works looking at their website but would this also send oil into the exhaust and thus block up the silencers over time.?

- Looking Further - Vibrant recommend this unit not having silencers. ?

JEGS Performance Products 52210: Crankcase Evacuation Kit Not for use with mufflers | JEGS

Any ideas

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
No Problems on fully tested daily road use many boost scenarios or track use only.?
All of the above. Testing was done for over a year on three cars 2005 STi (600-760whp), 2012 STi (stock block to 450-600whp on flex) and 2015 WRX FA, stock to KBM turbo kit. So a few different power levels on each car, with them all seeing daily driving and events play.

The 2005 STi making 760whp was used for daily, auto-X, and 1/2 mile events for the most part... and maybe some mountain and river road blasts ;) At the highest power levels it was running boost into the low 40s, on E85. I'd love to see it in use on higher powered cars, as I'm looking to find any limits.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well thought id try something else today.

I had put previously after tune Liqui Moli 10-40 fully synthetic and i checked the level and it was just above Max. Decided to change oil so bought some 5-30 Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic ( That i previously used on my STI for years with no issues )

Checked all hoses and pulled out what i though was the PCV valve ( As pictured above ) Its not the PCV valve. Its just a Y piece that goes back into the crankcase hole. Looked up on engine drawings the place for the PCV and its located in the stock Intake Manifold under the throttle body BUT im using the cos-worth Manifold SO i guess i dont have a PCV valve then. Now more head scratching.

Really starting to piss me off now.

Here we are smoking like a steam train.!

Smoking after a run on idle - YouTube

1781 - 1800 of 1818 Posts