IW STi Forum banner
221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Sorry, this has nothing to do with chassis parts:

but dark red seatbelts is totally S206 style, must count for something right? Grip has increased by at least 15% probably :p

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
I know, but they are pretty expensive when bought second hand if even available. A brand new STi costs around 110,000.- euros nowadays (no typo!), they are extremely heavily taxed due to environmental policies. So, this specific model was only sold 25 times here, the new model is not sold once.

Best thing to do is buy a second STi maybe and strip it for parts and resell it. Cars from the UK are a lot cheaper, so importing would be a nice way to get them (together with additional parts maybe). We’ll see.

That’s enough off topic for now, next time I will update on the lateral links I hope. ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Seems like OEM Recaros are expensive due to standards and regulations. Back in the days in Australia, someone stole me mate’s DC2R oem Recaro. The insurer just deemed the car to be a write-off because it would cost them as much as the car to replace the Recaro. So he ended up buying an aftermarket Recaro instead.

Ok back to topic.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
I did test drive with the new S206 flange bolts in place. I decided to go with the ‘OEM’ setup: replace only the two forward bolts of the rear subframe, as in the S206. I was considering the spoon rigid collars bit decided to leave them because of the same reason: making the setup as STi developed on the ring.

I did some quick and slow driving, bumps and uneven surfaces. No noise, no drama. Good. I would like to think the rear is a bit more rigid, but it is really hard to tell actually. Maybe I want it to be more rigid.

Next stop: lateral links.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Now THIS is a new must watch video from STi. They explain the philosophy behind the flexibel parts really well.

Immediately brings up a question: would the VAB model rear draw stiffener (in the boot) fit our 2011 car? The dimensions are the same I think?

I am also looking into the original Bilstein shocks, but import fees make it more expensive than a B16 set. Would it be worth it, or is it basically a B6 set with STi stamped on it? Anyone knows?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Now THIS is a new must watch video from STi. They explain the philosophy behind the flexibel parts really well.

Immediately brings up a question: would the VAB model rear draw stiffener (in the boot) fit our 2011 car? The dimensions are the same I think?

I am also looking into the original Bilstein shocks, but import fees make it more expensive than a B16 set. Would it be worth it, or is it basically a B6 set with STi stamped on it? Anyone knows?
Even if we can install the rear trunk flexible draw stiffener, we do not know the pre-load value required to suit our chassis. It is not impossible, but we are dealing with 1mm increment to dial it in.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
True, the new chassis is about 140 percent stiffer in general. That could make a difference.

It will probably do something because of the characteristics of the design, but it would be difficult to find an optimum setting as you said.

In the meanwhile I am in contact with Bilstein in Germany to find more information about the OEM S206 dampers and springs. I will update when I know more.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Yeah but that is not for GR/GV chassis.
Yeah, sorry. I was only trying to compare the two. The S206 shocks look like B6, but are they? Bilstein only makes the B16 for the GR/GV as far as I know.

It would also explain why the B6 is not available for our model: the bbs ch-r isn’t available in 8,5j 19” for our car either, since they are a exclusive model for the S206.

I contacted bilstein for more info, I hope they can reply with additional information.

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
Reaction Bilstein:

“Please note, that we produce the listed BILSTEIN shock absorbers exclusive for our trading partner Subaru STi OE.
You can order the BILSTEIN OE shock absorbers by your local Subaru workshop.”

The latter is not really true, only a workshop in Japan can order these. It was to be expected since it is a oem product. Shame, since the factory is within driving distance for me. They will not respond about the technical data of the shocks.

But, there is hope. As read here and here people swap their 08-14 setup for the newer 15+ struts. I would not be surprised if the newer shocks closely resemble the S206 setup, (Subaru has a tendency to use items from a S model and integrate it in a newer model. The S206 brakes became the standard for example.)

when this is al true, I can also safely assume that a Bilstein B6 set for the VAB will fit my GVF. Cars have the same weight and dimensions in general, this should work properly. Only thing to worry about is ride height really, to safeguard geometry.

In the previously stated links there are some examples of people using the RCE black springs on OEM 2015 struts. As I understand correctly, the black springs lower the car by about 10mm. This led to another conclusion: why not use the STi pinks on the Bilstein B6? They are available and also have a 10mm drop. Even the color combo will be the same as the S206 setup:cool:

Now the difficult part: what spring to use?
  • Pinks that go on the OEM S206 (=Bilstein) shocks
  • Pinks that go on the OEM 2015+ shocks
  • Pinks that go on the OEM S209 (=Bilstein) shocks

I do have a theory which ones to use, but I am keen to know what anyone else thinks first. Shoot :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Reaction Bilstein:

“Please note, that we produce the listed BILSTEIN shock absorbers exclusive for our trading partner Subaru STi OE.
You can order the BILSTEIN OE shock absorbers by your local Subaru workshop.”

The latter is not really true, only a workshop in Japan can order these. It was to be expected since it is a oem product. Shame, since the factory is within driving distance for me. They will not respond about the technical data of the shocks.

But, there is hope. As read here and here people swap their 08-14 setup for the newer 15+ struts. I would not be surprised if the newer shocks closely resemble the S206 setup, (Subaru has a tendency to use items from a S model and integrate it in a newer model. The S206 brakes became the standard for example.)

when this is al true, I can also safely assume that a Bilstein B6 set for the VAB will fit my GVF. Cars have the same weight and dimensions in general, this should work properly. Only thing to worry about is ride height really, to safeguard geometry.

In the previously stated links there are some examples of people using the RCE black springs on OEM 2015 struts. As I understand correctly, the black springs lower the car by about 10mm. This led to another conclusion: why not use the STi pinks on the Bilstein B6? They are available and also have a 10mm drop. Even the color combo will be the same as the S206 setup:cool:

Now the difficult part: what spring to use?
  • Pinks that go on the OEM S206 (=Bilstein) shocks
  • Pinks that go on the OEM 2015+ shocks
  • Pinks that go on the OEM S209 (=Bilstein) shocks

I do have a theory which ones to use, but I am keen to know what anyone else thinks first. Shoot :)
I guess it possible, but I guess we won't know until we try.

How about talking to Myles from RCE and see if the 2015+ shocks/springs in general will work for 2011-2014?

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
I don’t want the topic to float away from the S206 chassis parts, but I thought this would fit here since it is more of the S206 setup. It would complete the package maybe. So, bare with me for a second.

I did a LOT of research in the last few weeks. I wanted to share, so it is documented for future use. What I found first, was the factory "wheel arch height" of a STi according Subaru Service Manual:

MY/Front/Rear
‘08 / 376mm(14.8inch) / 370mm(14.6inch)
'11 / 371mm(14.6inch) / 365mm(14.4inch)
'17 / 370mm(14.57inch) / 362mm(14.25inch)

Distance= wheel centre - wheel arch. There is a tolerance of +12mm (+0.47) to -24mm (-0.94) for all models.

I don't know if the wheel arches are exactly the same for GR/GV and VA cars, but the suspension bits sure are a lot look-a-like. The lateral links are the exact same part, same for all the stiffener parts. Also in my research i found GR/GV cars on 2015+ struts with black RCE springs were only a bit lower than the stock 2011 setup. This would confirm the strut to be on the same ride height in stock trim. Bilstein offers the B16 set for both models with different serial numbers, but uses the exact same springs for both sets (found in TÜV report). This is another conformation the strut is more or less the same in dimensions. GV and VA cars differ by 5kg in weight, have the same track width, only a 20mm difference in wheel base. So, it would be logical they are identical in fitment. The spring rates and such are different through the years.

I finally found the Bilstein part numbers for the original S206 shocks:
35-197171 for the 20310ZR060
35-197164 for the 20310ZR070
24-197182 for the 20365ZR030 (2x)

Matching springs:
Front: ST20330ZR020
Rear: ST20380ZR080

There are also Bilstein schocks with matching STi pink springs available for the GV chassis.
F4-VE3-F676-T0 for the 20310ZR020
F4-VE3-F675-T0 for the 20310ZR030
F4-BE5-F677-T0 for the 20365ZR010 (2x)

These are NOT S206 schocks, although they look exactly like them (and maybe still are in secret). These were an option for the "normal STi" in Japan.

As said before: they all look a lot like the B6 sets from Bilstein. Biggest difference on the GV chassis is the location of some mounting clips it seems. So, if the 2015+ struts are good for a GV chassis, why not use the B6 set? I did not find the technical specifications of the S206, Bilstein did not want to share them. Or sell them to me.
I find it difficult to believe that Bilstein made a totally different type of shock for only 300 cars, especially because of the great B6 dampers they already have. A B6 was put on the market for the VA, but not for the GV. Why not? Would they - like the B16 set - not be that different?

I am going to buy myself a B6 set to try it, install them together with the S206 lateral links.
35-249467
35-249474
24-249485 (2x)

But wait... what spring to use? Stock VA would be an option of course, but i was looking into a full S206 setup. That is why i will use pink STi springs, the setup will even look te same as the S206 ones. Nice. Funny thing: the ride height of a S206 is 10mm lower than a standard STi, with this combination it would be exactly that.

Springs to decide on:
GV OE: ST20330ZR030 (front) & ST20380ZR060 (rear)
Bilstein: ST20330ZR020 (front) & ST20380ZR050 (rear)

VA OE: ST20330VV100 (front) & ST20380VV000 (rear)
Bilstein: ST20330VV100 (front) & ST20380VV010 (rear)

I think i have to go with the VA springs, since the B6 set is build and set up for the VA chassis. The VA bilstein option (EDIT: they are not from S209) is also possible (they also look like B6 shocks). The front springs are exactly the same, so it is down to the rear. The B6 is a replacement for the VA OE shock, so that would leave me with the pink springs for the VA OE shocks, or are the Bilsteins also B6’s?. i send an email to STi to advise me on this matter. To be continued...

·
Registered
GVF STi
54 Posts
So, a bit more to share. Firstly, my lateral link set arrived from Japan today:

I also made a decision about the shocks. I either stay with stock as is or go for the OEM S206 ones. They will cost me about the same as the B16 set from Bilstein. Every other option previously mentioned will be a wild guess in terms of handling.

Coilovers are no serious option for me: the ride is harsh most of the time, unless you get adjustable ones (the B16 is). But let’s be real: what do I want from the shocks? I am not a professional racing technician that knows how to setup a car. It is very easy to unbalance a car by getting the setup wrong. Ride height is 20-25mm lower at the highest setting, which I don’t like for this car.

I want a predictable handling with good grip and a relatively comfortable ride.

So why not get the S206 shocks? The car will ride only 10mm lower and be comfortable. The shocks and springs were setup at the nürburgring when they developed the ultimate STi. Will I do better fiddling with dampening screws? Probably not. It would certainly be a balanced package now that every other component is already on the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Totally agree regarding coilovers after having tried 7 different suspension setups between my Subarus, I have come to the conclusion that OEM is the best. Suspension is my ... fetish and the first thing I have modified in my cars.
I have a set of S206 takeoffs from a low mileage car (16k km) that I have been humming and harring whether to sell or fit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
I think when you own a car such as STI, EVO, GTR, 911, etc etc, some serious knowledge is required to better the OEM.

So definitely stick with OEM if you don't want to mess around with it. It is not as bad as some may say. And no matter how bad you think the susension is, it is balanced. Sure it may not be the greatest balance, but it is balanced nonetheless. It is far better to change the driving style to suit the way the car wants it to be driven.

Speaking about balance, the DCCD will need to come to equation when dialing the suspension. Another dimension to factor in the whole package. Playful in normal can be twitchy in Minus mode.

221 - 240 of 276 Posts