IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I am wondering if the new STI stock suspension will fit into 2008 - 2014 STI or not. I've been reading a lot of thread and seems like coilovers for 2014 will fit 2015 + STI, if that is the case I would assume the stock suspension can be swapped.
Can someone help me confirm if stock 2015 sti suspension will fit into 2014 STI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Nope and yes. The 2015+ iirc is one inch shorter, they do mount right so it might be a lowering option. Correct me if I'm wrong, been doing too much forum reading on suspension recently.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im curious to see the benefits of this over say a set of BC Coilovers?

I am considering this route as well, maybe even put on some 2015-2016 RCE springs for added performance.

but no used 2015-2016 struts are in the market. atleast not at the price where i can chose them over a set of used coilovers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what RaceComp said in Nasioc post, it will lower the car by 25mm

RaceComp Engineering:

"I have had BOTH GR STI shocks next to 2015 STI shocks and if you put 15 shocks on your 2008 + you would be lowered by about 25mm ! We haven't tried it, but with the new dampers being significantly better than the previous generation, if the lowering was even front to rear you would have a SOLID set up.

EDIT: 2015 SHOCKS are a FULL INCH SHORTER assembled on the bench than 2008-2014 STI.

With that said it goes without saying that putting 08+ on the 2015 would result in raising the front at least and possibly the rear. "

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bilstein just recently announced full line up for 2015 WRX STI. B6, B8, B12 and B16.

That means if the 2015 shocks is ok, maybe one can combine the B6 + 2015 OEM spring. Or if you want it even lower, go for B8 with up to 50mm drop spring, or just go for B12 pro-kit or B12 Sportline.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I got hold of a 2015 STI set. Will try to put them on my 08 and see what happens. I hope its a direct fit, with an even drop all around
In for results. I think I'm getting old and the coilovers are getting to me.

I'm thinking there might be some potential for rubbing too? 1" drop on the GR with a OEM soft spring would be pretty damn close to rubbing in the front on hard corners I would think? Something to test.

·
Registered
81 Posts
they will be arriving tomorrow.
it might rub in the front as you say, but i am hopeing they dont. the spring rates are said to be much stiffer on these years.

but we will see.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This may be a solid option for 08-14 owners that want a OEM setup with a lower look. It also should handle better as well with the stiffer spring rates.

Thanks for looking into this. Keep us informed of your progress once you get the 2015 setup.

·
Registered
710 Posts
In for results as well. I'd love to keep OE ride quality but be 1" lower than stock...probably need saggy butt spacers for the rear on my hatch but interesting none the less!

Im curious to see the benefits of this over say a set of BC Coilovers?

Results would be immensely better. BC's are an entry-level coil over and provide a very minimal improvement and handling, horrible ride quality and longevity by comparison...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
In for results as well. I'd love to keep OE ride quality but be 1" lower than stock...probably need saggy butt spacers for the rear on my hatch but interesting none the less!

Results would be immensely better. BC's are an entry-level coil over and provide a very minimal improvement and handling, horrible ride quality and longevity by comparison...
Just get the rce yellow Bilstein combo (I just installed mine couple weeks ago), you won't regret it in terms of handling and stock like comfort level plus the rear adjustable c clip removes the need for saggy butt spacers.

It actually end up costing me more to ship the combo from USA than my Cusco 3s coilover (which I've been more than satisfied with in terms of handling) but now my 2013 is in the perfect compromise between handling and daily driven comfort.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just get the rce yellow Bilstein combo (I just installed mine couple weeks ago), you won't regret it in terms of handling and stock like comfort level plus the rear adjustable c clip removes the need for saggy butt spacers.

It actually end up costing me more to ship the combo from USA than my Cusco 3s coilover (which I've been more than satisfied with in terms of handling) but now my 2013 is in the perfect compromise between handling and daily driven comfort.

I actually have them so I guess we will see. Everything I've read suggests that the ride quality is significantly decreased with these vs OE and while I realize that there's a trade and off a 1" drop on struts that should ride the same as the stock struts on my GR is appealing...time will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tackled the project yesterday. I can confirm everything does mount up and drives fine. not sure about hard cornering. but city driving is ok. I would consider this more of a 1/2 in drop once mounted. saggy butt, not too much.

driving feels alot better coming from the 08. more firm and stiff, but not harsh

going to add some whiteline com c hats get an alignment. overall I feel satisfied with the upgrade, but I'm no suspension expert. might be better than some lowering spring swaps out there for the GR chassis, and maybe on par with the gtworx?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I tackled the project yesterday. I can confirm everything does mount up and drives fine. not sure about hard cornering. but city driving is ok. I would consider this more of a 1/2 in drop once mounted. saggy butt, not too much.

driving feels alot better coming from the 08. more firm and stiff, but not harsh

going to add some whiteline com c hats get an alignment. overall I feel satisfied with the upgrade, but I'm no suspension expert. might be better than some lowering spring swaps out there for the GR chassis, and maybe on par with the gtworx?

Nice! Your car looks exactly like mine, hah! Can you do some spirited driving and give us your feedback?

It might only be 1/2" now, but depending on the amount of driving you've done, the springs might settle some more.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts