IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
OP, just keep the stock catback and go with an aftermarket catted DP. It is still going to be louder than stock with this setup but there is no exhaust out there that I know of that is as quiet as the stock exhaust.

I'm personally running the Invidia Q300 (still have the stock downpipe) because in my research it was the most quiet aftermarket exhaust I could find. I was just tired of looking at how ugly the stock mufflers/exhaust was and the Q300 hasn't disappointed in any way. It looks great, is relatively quiet, and a great value IMO (I was about to get mine for $723 shipped on Amazon). I'm sure when I go with an Invidia catted downpipe it will be even louder but right now it isn't obnoxious, doesn't drone, and I can easily carry on a conversation in my car (the car itself is still louder than the actual exhaust).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, but BS. I absolutely hated the Cobb. Better than SPT, but wow, the low frequency tone this exhaust makes with a downpipe was awful. Cobb refunded me full amount, so I will saya amazing customer service.

It sounded like I had installed the subwoofer on, and let it only play 40-60 hertz.

And then when you got on it, it was quiet. Backwards of a good exhaust. It was well built though.

You should have seen the reaction of the tech when I upgraded to the Corsa.
So you put a downpipe on and paired it with the COBB exhaust and didn't like it. OP wants a quiet stock like exhaust and you confirmed it is quiet up top, so that in turn gives the OP what he's looking for up top. Mix that in with the stock DP the OP is still on wouldn't that give him exactly what he's looking for??

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
it is not quiet when trying to be quiet. lol. It's absolutely horrible driving around, especially on the highway. All you heard was a low frequency bass note.

It was flat out embarrassing to have anyone in the car. I had never been bothered by such an annoying exhaust.

·
Registered
250 Posts
it is not quiet when trying to be quiet. lol. It's absolutely horrible driving around, especially on the highway. All you heard was a low frequency bass note.

It was flat out embarrassing to have anyone in the car. I had never been bothered by such an annoying exhaust.
Sorry I wan't clear.

What do you think of the Corsa? I am looking at it and my complaint about the STI/P performance exhaust is the same as yours about the Cobb.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Sorry I wan't clear.

What do you think of the Corsa? I am looking at it and my complaint about the STI/P performance exhaust is the same as yours about the Cobb.

It's awesome, but don't be fooled, with a DP, there is noise. It is not drone noise per say, but exhaust noise at all times, and noticeable when on the highway.

At least it is not boomy or bassy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Haha there seem to be such mixed opinions. The absolutes make sense (Q300 is quiet / No it's not!!), but the ones with relativity are hard to grasp (you would think everyone would agree that a certain exhaust is either louder or quieter than stock etc.)

Any advice from this crowd for people with the SPT? I like the SPT overall. I would be bugged a lot more by the supposed drone if the car itself wasn't loud as hell at highway speeds anyway. Wind noise is moderate, but tire noise is horrible on anything but brand new tires. But ultimately down the road I'm looking at a downpipe (catted Invidia or Cobb most likely) as well as ELH. Honestly I already paid so much for the SPT (yes I wanted it, but it wouldn't have mattered b.c it came on the car) I wouldn't mind spending $1000+ on something besides another catback. I don't want something loud, I just want a nice sound (as others mentioned, the SPT really only bugs me that it's so loud on cold idle and when trying to creep quietly through the neighborhood).

·
Registered
263 Posts
No! I had ELH on my stock catback with Invidia catted downpipe, and it added quite a bit of sound, especially from 2-3k.
Well, I guess the brands matter then because mine is noticeably quieter everywhere compared to stock. I have a Grimmspeed limited catted DP and aFe ELH with the stock catback. I ran just the DP for a while and it was a little louder than stock, but the headers quieted it back down.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Haha there seem to be such mixed opinions. The absolutes make sense (Q300 is quiet / No it's not!!), but the ones with relativity are hard to grasp (you would think everyone would agree that a certain exhaust is either louder or quieter than stock etc.)

Any advice from this crowd for people with the SPT? I like the SPT overall. I would be bugged a lot more by the supposed drone if the car itself wasn't loud as hell at highway speeds anyway. Wind noise is moderate, but tire noise is horrible on anything but brand new tires. But ultimately down the road I'm looking at a downpipe (catted Invidia or Cobb most likely) as well as ELH. Honestly I already paid so much for the SPT (yes I wanted it, but it wouldn't have mattered b.c it came on the car) I wouldn't mind spending $1000+ on something besides another catback. I don't want something loud, I just want a nice sound (as others mentioned, the SPT really only bugs me that it's so loud on cold idle and when trying to creep quietly through the neighborhood).
I had the SPT and absolutely hated the droning. So I replaced it with the Nameless mufflerless catback, which sounds epic and somehow got rid of the drone, but there's plenty of volume. If I had to do it again, I would've gone with the 5-inch mufflers to quiet the volume down. Seriously, the Nameless made me regret going through 2 Subarus with the SPT.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lucky you.

Did the welds on your Milltek also look like these? These welds aren't fitting for a $3600 TB system. Plus, I also had fitment issues. I ended up needing to customize the exhaust hangers to get them to fit correctly.

Your build quality sucks ass? Weird. Mine looked better than my Corsa and SPT :/

21 - 40 of 150 Posts