IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2016 sti, and am planning on installing a turbo back exhaust. Ideally I would install a catted DP and keep the cat back stock, as I'm happy with the sound.. But I don't want the restriction of the stock exhaust. I know it will be louder, but I want to keep the noise increase to a minimum, and definitely no drone on the hwy. Recommendations? TY.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also wanted my car to have stock like sound, its my daily and my s2000 has a 70mm single and i need a break from that sometimes. I have the grimmspeed catted dp and hks legamax premium cat back. I would say it isn't any lounder than stock, you just hear more of the rumble. With the stock exhaust, i had some drone in the cabin during a cold start. That has been eliminated now. Eventually I will add an ELH, and from what I have read it should make it slightly quieter in the cabin.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You're not going to leave a lot of power on the table by keeping the stock catback. I use an SPT single catback with 450whp. People put melon-launchers on their cars because they like them or have a hard-on for Fast and Furious. That kind of flow really isn't needed until you're making a hell of a lot more power.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a catted DP. At one point a Perrin midpipe, now a Nameless Performance midpipe, both resonated. Finishing it off are stock mufflers.

It is slightly louder than stock. The 2 midpipes' sound and power are practically identical.

I also have NP 5" mufflers, but are a bit too loud so the stockers are staying. Stocker drone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Here is some more info that may be relevant.

I'm going to run a Cobb ots stage 2 map for a while. I'm not sure that will be a good idea with the stock cat back. Will it work OK?

Then, I will be doing some fueling mods and a pro tune later on, possibly as soon as this summer. Will the stock cat back flow enough to get the most out of those?

If I will need to install one anyway I'd like to do it at the same time I do the DP. And, a little louder would be fine. I just don't want something obnoxious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry wrong term, not close to stock, it's close to q300 catback only without the dp. But still, it's really quiet for me. I was thinking before to change to a different brand of catback only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Trone- The Q300 ain't quiet!!!

There is no aftermarket exhaust that is truly quiet. It doesn't exist.

Keep the stock exhaust, but maybe replace the midpipe.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I guess maybe I should have said quieter than SPT stock exhaust. I have never heard a non-SPT stock one before but my Milltek with my other mods is definitely quieter than my SPT exhaust that originally came with the car. Plus, I have the EC Approved catted version of the Milltek which is the quieter version.

no it's not. I almost bought a Milltek, and the only thing that is quieter is idle.

As soon as you get above 1500rpm, it's louder.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
COBB is pretty quiet. It's more a purr. I'm running catless and a turbo upgrade. No drone and no neighbor complaints
Sorry, but BS. I absolutely hated the Cobb. Better than SPT, but wow, the low frequency tone this exhaust makes with a downpipe was awful. Cobb refunded me full amount, so I will saya amazing customer service.

It sounded like I had installed the subwoofer on, and let it only play 40-60 hertz.

And then when you got on it, it was quiet. Backwards of a good exhaust. It was well built though.

You should have seen the reaction of the tech when I upgraded to the Corsa.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry, but BS. I absolutely hated the Cobb. Better than SPT, but wow, the low frequency tone this exhaust makes with a downpipe was awful. Cobb refunded me full amount, so I will saya amazing customer service.

It sounded like I had installed the subwoofer on, and let it only play 40-60 hertz.

And then when you got on it, it was quiet. Backwards of a good exhaust. It was well built though.
That is my exact complaint from the STI performance exhaust on my 2017 STI Limited....it's backwards. Resonant low RPM and nice high RPM.

Slightly different frequency 80-100Hz for it.

It starts to purr about 3000 RPM and drives me nuts from 2K to 3K.

You should have seen the reaction of the tech when I upgraded to the Corsa.
[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate? I am looking to do something about mine. Corsa is one
of the possibilities. I have heard that it is nice below 3K when not WOT. Which
is where I do 99.9% of my crusing. But I am concerned a little about peak noise
anywhere in the RPM range.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I really liked my COBB TB pre KB ELH. It had the perfect sound for me but once I switched out the header, it started droning for me and eventually pushed me over to finding something as quiet as possible without going back to stock. I'm actually pretty happy with the sound from my Milltek.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some examples of how my Milltek TB sounds.

Cold Start outside at 1700 rpm idle

Cold Start in car at 1700 rpm idle

1700 rpm idle at 30 ft away

Backing out

Drive by

Driving around (accelerating from 15-50 mph at 3:39 mark. Pretty quiet compared to my old Cobb)

More driving around (sorry, lots of traffic so couldn't really do pulls)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I really liked my COBB TB pre KB ELH. It had the perfect sound for me but once I switched out the header, it started droning for me and eventually pushed me over to finding something as quiet as possible without going back to stock. I'm actually pretty happy with the sound from my Milltek.
That's weird. From what I've heard the Cobb is one of the few exhausts that's supposed to play well with the ELH, like your Milltek.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts