IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, I guess the brands matter then because mine is noticeably quieter everywhere compared to stock. I have a Grimmspeed limited catted DP and aFe ELH with the stock catback. I ran just the DP for a while and it was a little louder than stock, but the headers quieted it back down.
Sorry, but no! Tomei ELH is not going to sound dramatically different than XXX brand on stock catback.

Why don't you record a clip and let us here this quieter sound you speak of.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry, but no! Tomei ELH is not going to sound dramatically different than XXX brand on stock catback.

Why don't you record a clip and let us here this quieter sound you speak of.
Why the exclamations points every time you reply to me? I'm not here to try to win an argument, I'm just telling my experiences, no need to get so excited.

And the Tomei is different than the aFe header because that is a 4-2-1 design with its own uppipe vs. a 4-1 design which I used with the stock uppipe, so I would expect them to sound at least somewhat different. I never said it would be dramatically different, I just said mine is quieter than stock now (and that's not by much). It mainly reduced the low frequency sounds, which are the most noticeable.

If I had any kind of decent camera, I'd make a clip for you. You're comparing a different header and downpipe setup, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. They're similar, but not the same. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

·
Registered
676 Posts
for max quiet with a downpipe: ELH, and stock catback. The headers mellow the exhaust because of the equal pulses, and the stock catback does a decent job of decreasing sound. At least on my GR hatch it did.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Why the exclamations points every time you reply to me? I'm not here to try to win an argument, I'm just telling my experiences, no need to get so excited.

And the Tomei is different than the aFe header because that is a 4-2-1 design with its own uppipe vs. a 4-1 design which I used with the stock uppipe, so I would expect them to sound at least somewhat different. I never said it would be dramatically different, I just said mine is quieter than stock now (and that's not by much). It mainly reduced the low frequency sounds, which are the most noticeable.

If I had any kind of decent camera, I'd make a clip for you. You're comparing a different header and downpipe setup, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. They're similar, but not the same. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to.
Use your phone to take a video. You have increased the airflow with bigger piping, and yes maybe some of the lower frequencies are gone, but the overall sound is much louder. In fact, I hated the way it sounded on a OEM catback. Way too tinny around 3k.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
for max quiet with a downpipe: ELH, and stock catback. The headers mellow the exhaust because of the equal pulses, and the stock catback does a decent job of decreasing sound. At least on my GR hatch it did.
GR hatch is a different exhaust (catback and muffler setup) so really hard to compare.

I actually believe the big muffler on the hatches do a lot better job than the dual mufflers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the Fujisubo Legalis R catback with cobb catted downpipe on my 09 sti hatch, it is very close to stock. I wonder how this exhaust is on the 2015+ STI

·
Registered
263 Posts
Use your phone to take a video. You have increased the airflow with bigger piping, and yes maybe some of the lower frequencies are gone, but the overall sound is much louder. In fact, I hated the way it sounded on a OEM catback. Way too tinny around 3k.
I wasn't lying when I said I didn't have a decent camera, I have a LG Octane phone from 2011. I think I might be the only mechanical engineer in this country without a smartphone.

I know the car was louder than stock when I just had the DP, but I noticed right away that the ELH made it quieter, especially at idle. You have to remember that you're comparing headers and downpipes with somewhat different shapes and diameters and those things produce slightly different sounds.

There's gotta be a video with a 4 into 1 ELH, Grimmspeed catted DP, stock uppipe and catback somewhere out there for you to hear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
TheLegend,

I am interested in the Madad Whisper but their website
says "Note: We have not tested on a 2015 model yet but anticipate a few minor changes are needed. We will announce official 2015 fitment soon.".

I emailed them a few weeks ago but got no reply.

Do you have information that it fits the 15+ STI?

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
TheLegend,

says "Note: We have not tested on a 2015 model yet but anticipate a few minor changes are needed. We will announce official 2015 fitment soon.".

Dave
Don't wait on maddad that posting for 2015 testing has been up for ages, I prev had maddad and it was perfect for me and OP I'm actually tempted to buy the Gd axleback from maddad and have a custom setup welded up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
TheLegend,

Dave
I emaled MadDad about 8 months ago. The reply was that it was not released. That sign on their website has been on there since 2015.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If anyone can find the unicorn exhaust that doesn't drone on the highway with a catless downpipe, let me know. I've researched and searched video clips until red in the face. Corsa seems like its the most promising, but with a catless downpipe, even it seems like it would be too loud.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If anyone can find the unicorn exhaust that doesn't drone on the highway with a catless downpipe, let me know. I've researched and searched video clips until red in the face. Corsa seems like its the most promising, but with a catless downpipe, even it seems like it would be too loud.
I'm Tairy Greene. There's a lot of chatter. CHATTER, not cheddar! Is there cheddar?

A lot of ppl will say the Corsa is not too loud or they even want louder, however many do also complain about drone w that one. It's definitely hard to narrow down given all the combinations of variables plus the relativity of personal perceptions in the first place.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

I wouldn’t recommend Milltek due to an issue I had with crap customer support and warranty issues, but will confirm it doesn’t drone. The Corsa has minimal drone (had it as well) and sounds way more aggressive but was too obnoxious at normal RPMs for me to drive around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend Milltek due to an issue I had with crap customer support and warranty issues, but will confirm it doesn’t drone. The Corsa has minimal drone (had it as well) and sounds way more aggressive but was too obnoxious at normal RPMs for me to drive around town.

Did the issue end up getting resolved? I've heard issues about fit and finish before which is a damn shame given the cost. However, most aftermarket exhausts are geared toward being louder for obvious reasons so the options really are limited. I plan to go ELH so keeping SPT is unlikely an option, but stock is more restrictive than I would like. I wonder what would happen if I just put a shit load of resonators on the SPT :lol:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
So I had the SPT and the drone became outright ridiculous when I added my Spoolinator kit which was catless at the time. I can’t imagine any amount of resonators solving that. The Corsa was way better than that.

No, the issue never was resolved. The vendor who I bought it from was helpful in managing the attempt and got a middle man to provide a replacement piece at cost. I do like the exhaust otherwise. Was a bad weld on one of the tips.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Man, lame. Hate to give a dime to a company with shit customer service, but options are severely limited for this niche category. It's bad enough to pay the Milltek price on top of the SPT price :lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Did the issue end up getting resolved? I've heard issues about fit and finish before which is a damn shame given the cost. However, most aftermarket exhausts are geared toward being louder for obvious reasons so the options really are limited. I plan to go ELH so keeping SPT is unlikely an option, but stock is more restrictive than I would like. I wonder what would happen if I just put a shit load of resonators on the SPT :lol:
I had a resonated SPT that came with the car and it sucked, same issues.

The problem is the way the T is designed and with the SPT it's intentionally meant to drone and be loud at lower rpm and not be too loud at WOT. The T in the SPT is a 90 degree angle which will reinforce sound with the same wavelength or fractional multiples of the wavelength.

The T on the stock exhaust is not a 90 degree angle and it doesn't drone to the same degree vs the SPT.

Aftermarket stuff wants to make more power and it simply can't without being louder. The quietest exhausts add the least amount of power, and loudest add more. I have a Tomei w stock DP and it makes the car more responsive and keeps it from feeling flat over ~5500 rpms. Adds maybe 10-12 hp. It's loud though, no doubt, but it sounds 1000x better vs the SPT!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm sure it's true to a certain degree that you're going to add noise when you de-restrict the exhaust to make more power. But honestly 10 hp in the grand scheme of things is not worth it to me. If it's so restrictive that throttle response is terrible etc okay that's one thing, but if we're just talking about gaining a small amount of power I'd rather cut down on the noise a bit. I guess there's always the Maddad Whisper but some even say "whisper" is a misnomer for that exhaust :-/

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm sure it's true to a certain degree that you're going to add noise when you de-restrict the exhaust to make more power. But honestly 10 hp in the grand scheme of things is not worth it to me. If it's so restrictive that throttle response is terrible etc okay that's one thing, but if we're just talking about gaining a small amount of power I'd rather cut down on the noise a bit. I guess there's always the Maddad Whisper but some even say "whisper" is a misnomer for that exhaust :-/
My car is stock w/ CBE and no tune right now, but I had 2 stage 2 WRXs before and the Tomei has maybe half the effect on responsiveness and high rpm power vs replacing the stock DP with an aftermarket catted DP and stage 2 tune for 91 octane (I'm in CO). I was actually very surprised after install, I was expecting nothing.

41 - 60 of 150 Posts