IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Really nice gains! I like how they kept the correction factor on SAE, smoothing 5. I think that gives more realistic numbers in my opinion. I think our power levels are pretty similar considering we have almost mod for mod just different brands. I believe you have more fuel mods than me but I also have EWG. We both made it to 335ftlbs of torque on conservative tunes. Im sure it feels like a rocket for you now!

Yeah once I read that about the KB inlet of having to trim and size to fit, no thanks, glad I didnt wait. The Perrin for what it may be (expensive and silicone) it fit like a glove in 1 shot without any issues for me. Worth it in my opinion since I did not have to remove PS pump or alternator and can do in just a couple hours. As for the ELH, its amazing how the car transforms with those things. Its literally night and day difference in how the car runs and sounds.
Very pleased with where I'm at!
I'm mostly work-from-home these days but it's hard not to jump in the car and take it for a spin right now, just because :LOL:

Yes, I can't say enough good things about my tuner.
I'm glad they didn't pump up the numbers or stretch out the car (or raise the boost target) just to chase numbers.
Car is smooth AF now, it has never been this smooth before, and the power is definitely there.

My only question now is if the instantaneous gas-mileage meter can be recalibrated.
Obviously it works based on IDC in relation to speed, etc. but now that my injectors are a ton bigger, the most I ever see is 60% idc at full-throttle.
That number was in the 90's right after doing the headers, so my fuel economy is stated as being significantly better when I know it obviously can't be THAT good, even if I'm light on it.

And don't get me wrong, the KB inlet is a fantastic piece.
The quality is definitely there, and there is no debating the difference between it and the OEM inlet.
I have seen a silicone inlet before, and the KB piece deff looks like something that could be considered OEM quality on a more expensive car.
It's just a little more intense to install than I expected.

Super glad I budgeted the amount of time I did for all these installs, because it almost wasn't enough!
If I had said 'eh, I'll start on Friday, should be good by the end of Sunday' I wouldn't have even come close.
Looking back, if I had to do it all again, having never worked on a Subaru before to that extent, I probably would have given myself nearly a month to put it all together.
I had a base tune anyways, so if I got it done early, I could have still fired it up and moved it if I needed to.

ELH tho should be on everyone's mod list!
It made a massive difference on the Cobb Stage 2 tune, but now it's just optimized and everything feels smooth instead of peaky.
If you opt to pick up UEL headers instead, you are making a mistake!

Registered
Very pleased with where I'm at!
I'm mostly work-from-home these days but it's hard not to jump in the car and take it for a spin right now, just because :LOL:

Yes, I can't say enough good things about my tuner.
I'm glad they didn't pump up the numbers or stretch out the car (or raise the boost target) just to chase numbers.
Car is smooth AF now, it has never been this smooth before, and the power is definitely there.

My only question now is if the instantaneous gas-mileage meter can be recalibrated.
Obviously it works based on IDC in relation to speed, etc. but now that my injectors are a ton bigger, the most I ever see is 60% idc at full-throttle.
That number was in the 90's right after doing the headers, so my fuel economy is stated as being significantly better when I know it obviously can't be THAT good, even if I'm light on it.

And don't get me wrong, the KB inlet is a fantastic piece.
The quality is definitely there, and there is no debating the difference between it and the OEM inlet.
I have seen a silicone inlet before, and the KB piece deff looks like something that could be considered OEM quality on a more expensive car.
It's just a little more intense to install than I expected.

Super glad I budgeted the amount of time I did for all these installs, because it almost wasn't enough!
If I had said 'eh, I'll start on Friday, should be good by the end of Sunday' I wouldn't have even come close.
Looking back, if I had to do it all again, having never worked on a Subaru before to that extent, I probably would have given myself nearly a month to put it all together.
I had a base tune anyways, so if I got it done early, I could have still fired it up and moved it if I needed to.

ELH tho should be on everyone's mod list!
It made a massive difference on the Cobb Stage 2 tune, but now it's just optimized and everything feels smooth instead of peaky.
If you opt to pick up UEL headers instead, you are making a mistake!
Yup we are pretty spot on once again. Years ago my IDC was in the high 90's with the Cobb ots map on basic stage 2. Once I went protune they dropped alot. My mpg calculation display was horribly off back then. It was saying 28-31mpgs (yeah ok LoL). Even after retuning this February, my IDC's are low 60's at most under WOT. That's with me still running my old school ID 1000's from 7 years ago. As for my fuel economy display, I think my guy may have been able to correct it but im not 100% sure. Id have to really take a look and figure it out. I will say that my mpg has gotten worse in general since I upgraded and returned in February. I definitely think there is more fuel being added now but w.e. as long as its safe for the engine. Fuel economy with large injectors will always be trash lol. These cars were never fuel efficient anyways.

Kudos to you for doing all this stuff yourself. I agree that ELH should be on everyone's mod list. Makes me wonder why I didnt do it earlier. I guess I grew up lol.

Curious, are you on winter tires when you protuned on the dyno?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yup we are pretty spot on once again. Years ago my IDC was in the high 90's with the Cobb ots map on basic stage 2. Once I went protune they dropped alot. My mpg calculation display was horribly off back then. It was saying 28-31mpgs (yeah ok LoL). Even after retuning this February, my IDC's are low 60's at most under WOT. That's with me still running my old school ID 1000's from 7 years ago. As for my fuel economy display, I think my guy may have been able to correct it but im not 100% sure. Id have to really take a look and figure it out. I will say that my mpg has gotten worse in general since I upgraded and returned in February. I definitely think there is more fuel being added now but w.e. as long as its safe for the engine. Fuel economy with large injectors will always be trash lol. These cars were never fuel efficient anyways.

Kudos to you for doing all this stuff yourself. I agree that ELH should be on everyone's mod list. Makes me wonder why I didnt do it earlier. I guess I grew up lol.

Curious, are you on winter tires when you protuned on the dyno?
I think I'll just leave the gauge and try to track mileage on a full tank and do my own calculation to start.
It doesn't particularly bother me, it's just sort of funny to see.

I condensed your 7 year timeline down to like 7 months!
I was stage 1 in January, then came the downpipe mid-winter, and now I'm stage 2+ with ELH, inlet, and fuelling mods ahahah.
I would have been done a month sooner but I was waiting on that inlet due to covid delays.

I am not super concerned with MPG, as my commute is like 6 miles each way IF i need to go in, I just want to understand roughly where I'm at for planning road trips!
Only one chain of gas station in my area has my 94 octane, so I need to be mindful of how far apart they are on road trips so I don't get stuck.

As far as DIY-ing this stuff.
I said after I finished everything that I wouldn't do some of it ever again.
Mainly injectors (on a flat engine), and I'd prob pay someone to swap plugs if that's all that needed to be done.
The inlet was a pain in the ass, but now that I've done one, I could probably do it again way faster.
In contrast to what I have done in the past, I've swapped a broken oil pan, dealt with broken belts, timing belts, ac compressors/ etc. (on a car where it was mounted on the bottom), suspension installs are easy, same with sways, motor mounts aren't terrible, I did the header, downpipe, and trans mount install on the sti too (on jack stands).
I've done everything short of pull a motor or a head, but my next place will prob have a lift so that's not off the menu for my summer car at some point.

Weather here is hovering around 8-10 Celsius, Winters are good when you are consistently below 7, and obv they salt and spray below 0, so I was lucky in that I got everything sorted while I was still on summers.
I'm still on the OEM-size 245/40/18, and my winters are 225/50/17, so they are close, but still prefer the OEM size on the dyno for the ratio.
I hate my winter wheels and am actually pondering the idea of picking up some 17x8.5 RPF1's for some winter-time bling, just can't decide on offset.
I know et40 will fit (seen pics), as it is very similar to my et38 summers too, but I'm pondering the et30 option.
I know the 225's will be a slight stretch on the 8.5's, so they might fit nicer at et30 (and there are more colour options in that size).
First. World. Problems :LOL:
If you have any links on pics of a GR on 17x8.5 et30 wheels, I'm all ears!

Registered
I think I'll just leave the gauge and try to track mileage on a full tank and do my own calculation to start.
It doesn't particularly bother me, it's just sort of funny to see.

I condensed your 7 year timeline down to like 7 months!
I was stage 1 in January, then came the downpipe mid-winter, and now I'm stage 2+ with ELH, inlet, and fuelling mods ahahah.
I would have been done a month sooner but I was waiting on that inlet due to covid delays.

I am not super concerned with MPG, as my commute is like 6 miles each way IF i need to go in, I just want to understand roughly where I'm at for planning road trips!
Only one chain of gas station in my area has my 94 octane, so I need to be mindful of how far apart they are on road trips so I don't get stuck.

As far as DIY-ing this stuff.
I said after I finished everything that I wouldn't do some of it ever again.
Mainly injectors (on a flat engine), and I'd prob pay someone to swap plugs if that's all that needed to be done.
The inlet was a pain in the ass, but now that I've done one, I could probably do it again way faster.
In contrast to what I have done in the past, I've swapped a broken oil pan, dealt with broken belts, timing belts, ac compressors/ etc. (on a car where it was mounted on the bottom), suspension installs are easy, same with sways, motor mounts aren't terrible, I did the header, downpipe, and trans mount install on the sti too (on jack stands).
I've done everything short of pull a motor or a head, but my next place will prob have a lift so that's not off the menu for my summer car at some point.

Weather here is hovering around 8-10 Celsius, Winters are good when you are consistently below 7, and obv they salt and spray below 0, so I was lucky in that I got everything sorted while I was still on summers.
I'm still on the OEM-size 245/40/18, and my winters are 225/50/17, so they are close, but still prefer the OEM size on the dyno for the ratio.
I hate my winter wheels and am actually pondering the idea of picking up some 17x8.5 RPF1's for some winter-time bling, just can't decide on offset.
I know et40 will fit (seen pics), as it is very similar to my et38 summers too, but I'm pondering the et30 option.
I know the 225's will be a slight stretch on the 8.5's, so they might fit nicer at et30 (and there are more colour options in that size).
First. World. Problems :LOL:
If you have any links on pics of a GR on 17x8.5 et30 wheels, I'm all ears!
Ahh I see, I didnt know 94 wasnt available everywhere by you. For me its 93 and its pretty much everywhere in my state. I should actually correct my own mistake. I actually went stage 2 + back in 2013. That intake, exhaust, dp, injectors, fuel pump, ewg, protune ect ect. It wasnt until years later in 2021 that I retuned with ELH and turbo inlet. It took me 8 years to go drop the rumble and go for ELH lol. None the less, just with those 2 mods the car felt wayyy better. I too go retuned in the cold, I think in the low 30 degree range if I remember correctly.

The reason I asked about winter tires on the dyno is because both times I have gone on the dyno, the car was tuned with winter tires on. Both times were Michelin Pilot Alpins which are considered a performance winter on the stock OEM size and OEM wheel. I was told that winter tires may rob us of some power on the dyno when compared to tuning on summer tires. So I was just curious if were tuned on summers, winters, or all seasons.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ahh I see, I didnt know 94 wasnt available everywhere by you. For me its 93 and its pretty much everywhere in my state. I should actually correct my own mistake. I actually went stage 2 + back in 2013. That intake, exhaust, dp, injectors, fuel pump, ewg, protune ect ect. It wasnt until years later in 2021 that I retuned with ELH and turbo inlet. It took me 8 years to go drop the rumble and go for ELH lol. None the less, just with those 2 mods the car felt wayyy better. I too go retuned in the cold, I think in the low 30 degree range if I remember correctly.

The reason I asked about winter tires on the dyno is because both times I have gone on the dyno, the car was tuned with winter tires on. Both times were Michelin Pilot Alpins which are considered a performance winter on the stock OEM size and OEM wheel. I was told that winter tires may rob us of some power on the dyno when compared to tuning on summer tires. So I was just curious if were tuned on summers, winters, or all seasons.
Yea, only 'Petro Canada' has 94, everywhere else has max 91.
And, not every Petro Canada has it either...
There is one less than a km from my house that doesn't have it, I have to drive like 8-10km across town to fill up!

I was originally all about Stage 1, and pondered Stage 2.
Then Cobb had a rare sale at the end of 2020 so I grabbed the downpipe right away for a downpipe-only stage 2.
Then covid boredom set in and with the border closed, I couldn't order the parts I wanted for my project car because I couldn't jump across the border to pick them up.
I'm due to purchase a bumper, but shipping to Niagara Falls, NY is 250$ and shipping to my house (less than 45 miles away) is over 1000$ lol.
When I decided a pro-tune and some supporting mods were on the map, I went to work researching every little item to see what was worth my time.
I wanted power/effect and reliability/dependability for the money, and wasn't so interested in pops and wooshes unless they were necessary to facilitate the power.
That's also why I still have my EGR and TGV.
Maybe there is 5whp or so there, but entirely not worth my effort.
The ELH was a no-brainer because I really didn't care if the sound 'changed', I still have a stock exhaust anyways, and the power and power delivery was obvious.

And ahh the winter tires make sense then.
Yea, I was able to get it done on the OEM size summers, but as the saying goes, dyno numbers are just numbers, it's how the car really drives that matters most.
I can confidently say that the tune I have feels stout and smooth and being more powerful is honestly an added bonus.
The car literally should have come in some form of this state from the factory.
Sure the cat isn't compliant, but put a factory-spec cat on a downpipe of similar design, and give up 10-20hp, so what?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Nice results! Did you meet and talk to Andy? He's quite the character. 馃ぃ

Out of curiosity, do you have a wandering cold idle or any stumble with the larger 1050x injectors? Initially I did and I'm fairly certain it was the FPR because when I swapped out to an aeromotive FPR setup, it's gone.
I didn't get much chance to chat with him, I was working with Shawn (i think) on an injector leaking issue before my tune and I had to leave the car with them, then Andy wasn't in the shop when I went to pick it up the next day.

No stumble issues and the car seems to be running smooth.
I've put a few 100 km's on the car since the tune and pretty well no issues..... except one!

The other day I had an odd occurrence where I got a CEL for a cyl 3 misfire.
I didn't feel it nor was the car behaving weird, and it happened while the car was still colder (above 100F coolant temp, but not at operating temp), so I was being light on the throttle (I don't get on it until the car is hot).
I cleared the CEL with the access-port to see if it would return and so far nothing.

Car has new plugs and coils but I did go one step colder on the plugs, and it was a chilly day outside.
I don't know if that would have caused it but fingers crossed I don't experience further issues and have to switch to new stock plugs and waste more money.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
So, I withheld posting this until the final mod was all wrapped up and I got a chance to shoot the car!
I only got a chance to edit one of the photos for now, but I figured I'd post up anyways!

2 days after wrapping my headlights in the smoke headlight film, this happened...
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Line

Big shout out to Vvivid vinyl for not only disappointing me, but for refusing to acknowledge this was a product defect and reimburse me for the 20$ of wrap!
I've wrapped a number of things and was very careful about applying this; careful surface prep, not to touch the backside, and appropriately wrap and trim the edges.
Shit peeled and contracted by itself in a couple days...
I will now highly advise against this product going forward!
I was in no mood to deal with that nonsense again soooooo
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Car Human body

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Wheel

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Grille Vehicle registration plate

Picked up a set of circuit demon OEMassive retrofit headlights.
They take the OEMassive lights, pull them apart, rewire the C-lights with brighter switchback led's, new projectors with clear lenses, OEM Subaru xenon wiring, bulbs, and OEM Subaru ballasts, and I paid extra for them to black out the side markers.
I then took them to a shop to have them Xpel wrapped before install and they did a fantastic job too.
Finally, I got out for a final photoshoot for the season!
Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

This is just one photo, but I've got a handful more to edit so once those are finished up I'll be sure to post them!
Super pleased with the new headlights!
Car looks 5 years newer, the headlights are brighter with that sharp cutoff, and the c-lights look meannnnn.
I'd love to say I'm done for this year, but I've already got one more thing in process as part of my winter prep!
Stay tuned for photos and one more 2021 update :p

Registered
Wow! Those lights look amazing! Totally changes the way the car looks. Glad you kept the OEM black housing theme. I was always against cheap aftermarket headlights like oem massive but I didnt know circuit demon made an sti conversion and made them better. Now this is definitly something to consider after seeing this. Headlights are such a big thing on our cars. Every single GR/GV ive seen has horrible hazing and fading at this point in their lives. Yes even including mine unfortunatly. Im getting tired of cleaning and polishing them up just to take pictures so they dont look like ass lol. Headlights are definetly on my list along with my 10 year old rusty hella super tone horns.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Wow! Those lights look amazing! Totally changes the way the car looks. Glad you kept the OEM black housing theme. I was always against cheap aftermarket headlights like oem massive but I didnt know circuit demon made an sti conversion and made them better. Now this is definitly something to consider after seeing this. Headlights are such a big thing on our cars. Every single GR/GV ive seen has horrible hazing and fading at this point in their lives. Yes even including mine unfortunatly. Im getting tired of cleaning and polishing them up just to take pictures so they dont look like ass lol. Headlights are definetly on my list along with my 10 year old rusty hella super tone horns.
Very pleased with the way the Circuit Demon pieces turned out!
Ironically, my headlights were in mint shape at the beginning of this season (but chrome).
They also had xpel on them to prevent chipping and damage so that definitely helped.
I would highly recommend getting that done if you decide to replace them.
Here are the ones I picked up:
Obviously you pay to play here, but you definitely get what you pay for.
I paid an extra 45$ for the blacked out side markers, as you can see in my link they are typically orange on this iteration.
With the new wiring they do they aren't functional anyways, so no point in having them.
When you pull the bulb socket for the side markers on the back of the light housing, instead of sockets, there is wiring in their place.
I think Circuit Demon basically uses the housings from OEMassive and everything else is swapped out (including the led's).
Lights come well packed with a layer of industrial plastic wrap over the lenses, and you literally cannot tell someone opened these by hand.
They put them back together so cleanly they look like they came this way from the manufacturer.
Also, they must mount them on a jig and aim them or something, because after install I was expecting to have to adjust them, but the cutoff is even and just below horizontal so no need!
These are the only oem xenon retrofits, but they do offer them with various iterations of aftermarket HID (probably better and brighter than oem, I just wasn't confident they'd be plug and play on an oem xenon car).
They also offer etched lenses, demon eyes, halos, hex halos, and they also offer custom turn signals with bi-xenon mains where the main beams tilt up for highbeams and the highbeam area is replaced with a custom LED panel.
If you went all-out, you'd be paying a bit more, but they come with special LED ballasts, and the demon eyes, signals, and c-lights can all be adjusted for colour individually on an app on your phone.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Car Grille

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Vehicle Car

Photograph Automotive lighting White Light Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Headlamp

Kinda cool, but I'm on the OEM++ train, so that was a step far for me.
Plus they cost another 2-500$ more for these options so that was unnecessary for my needs.
OH, also, if you do pick these up and you don't already have LED high beams, absolutely check that box.
I already have a set that I just transferred over from my other lights, but the ones I have are 100w so when you turn them on, it literally blasts a tunnel of daylight ahead of the car and people on the highway move TF out of the way cause it looks like a train is coming.
Certainly useful for long trips across the province at night!

And last but not least....
Tire Wheel Sky Car Automotive tail & brake light

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just a photo and a tiny update!
With how shiny the sti is now, the current winter wheels weren't going to do it!
Order placed.... that will be changing... 馃槒
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Don't know if it counts as a mod or if it's just maintenance!
Either way, they were due, and on the forums when people asked 'what is best' this seemed to be the only answer from multiple people.
With Black Friday they were on sale so I splurged on both cars!
With winter incoming I definitely expect to be able to test them out! :LOL:
Font Cosmetics Material property Office supplies Jewellery

They DO look nice, I'll give them that!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Can't stop, won't stop 馃幎
Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Mirror Motor vehicle

OLM convex anti-glare mirrors!
Haven't driven with them yet but they do look pretty and the difference is very obvious.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
GR STi Type RA?
Don't mind if I do!
Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Hood

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Just having a little fun editing one of the photos from my year-end shoot!
Believe it or not, this is from the same location as the last one I posted.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Mini bump!
My new wheels finally arrived!
I had ordered them from the west coast a few weeks ago cause the retailer could get ahold of one of the last sets of these wheels in Canada (eta 40+ days from Japan on the next sets).
The wheels showed up to the shop late that Friday, and then that weekend the west coast flooded....
Now that they are slowly getting things back together, the shop was finally able to get them out the door.
Props to Image in Motion out near Vancouver!
He cut me a great deal and has been keeping me up to date through the whole flood fiasco that's been going on.
I could definitely recommend them in the future, as they were able to cut me a sweet deal and took care of me, even when things got crazy.
Package arrived this morning and it was like waking up on Christmas morning!
I'll deff get out for a shoot once these are mounted, but just wanted to bump the progress cause I'm excited!
Oh... and my winter wheels are now nicer than a lot of people's summers 馃槀
Shipping box Rectangle Packing materials Packaging and labeling Carton

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Found some time to do a quick test fit yesterday!
These are getting me super excited :D
Automotive tire Hood Road surface Asphalt Bumper

And one more edit just for fun!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Another edit while I chill during the holidays!
I am starting to get good at these edits, and I'm proud to say that all 6 of the edits I've posted from my end-of-season shoot are edited in completely different styles!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

41 - 60 of 62 Posts