IW STi Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not a new mod, but;

My left side foglight was only 'glowing' and not projecting a beam.
I estimate one or a few of the LED's inside the housing had burnt out, so it was still illuminating, but not really functional.
I gave Prolightz a call (where I purchased the Morimoto's from).
I only had to pay the 10$ shipping and they sent me a brand new light and fresh film for the other side! 馃憣
Props to Prolightz for the fast and easy service, and for including the extra film for the other side without me asking.
If you're in Canada, I highly suggest you check them out!
I've grabbed my fogs, LED high-beams, LED interior lights, LED plate lights, and LED reverse lights from them.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mwahahahahhaha

These babies were packed so damn nicely!
I felt like I was unboxing Porsche parts, had to do a double-take to confirm these were for the Subie!
Apparently these were discontinued semi-recently but Valenti stumbled across a few sets in their warehouse and I was lucky enough to get my paws on a set, EMS Japan direct!
They were quite easy to install and wire up, and are super clean and make the car look 5 years newer.... Very pleased!

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Can't stop, won't stop!

Geeze this knob is heavy! Didn't really register just how heavy it would be!
Shifting is now buttery smooth, and it is definitely a step up from the Cobb knob!
Very pleased with my purchase :LOL:

Oh and...... more power coming, stay tuned!

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Couple small updates!
While I had the car up on stands to bleed the brakes, I decided it was time to put the finishing touches on my shifter package.
I already had the linkage and shifter bushings, and a short shifter, but the shifter was still not super direct and perfect like I'm used to in my other car.
SO, I decided to see if the Group-N transmission mount coupled with the Turn-In Concepts crossmember bushings could put it over the edge...

I can definitely say it made that final bit of difference!
Coupled with the heavy Raceseng shift knob I recently installed, the shifter is no-nonsense.
It just clunks into gear smoothly with no play, so I am very pleased!
The new mounts also contributed no additional NVH as far as I can tell.
I just need to get used to how tight and responsive it is now, as any poor clutch engagement is now made more apparent.
But that is just the small news...

2 weeks ago I picked up a set of Tomei headers for a Stage 2+ pro-tune of sorts.
I also picked up an AEM fuel pump, Cobb EBCS, and Cobb FPR kit.
Then I dropped the headers off to get them professionally Cerakoted for rust prevention and some heat retention.
Colour I chose was 'glacier silver; which is a satin-metallic silver that is rated for 1800掳F
Kinda sad these are going on the bottom of the car as they look fantastic 馃槀
I'm giving them a week to 'cure' before install, but I might take a swing at the AEM in the meantime.
After that I'll bolt them up and then book an appt with a pro tuner to get the FPR + EBCS installed and then get the car thrown on the dyno.
I'm hoping to be able to crack the 300whp milestone on (Canadian) 94 octane gas.
Then only a few small tweaks and a cosmetic mod (or two) that is on backorder right now and I'll be able to say I am officially content with my daily 馃槀

Registered
Hey before you install those headers, would you mind taking some measurements? It would be great to get some actual measurements of the Tomei headers for my thread. ELH Sizes and Specs. Feel free to update it with your findings when ever you get the chance.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey before you install those headers, would you mind taking some measurements? It would be great to get some actual measurements of the Tomei headers for my thread. ELH Sizes and Specs. Feel free to update it with your findings when ever you get the chance.
Absolutely!
I'll measure it up with my caliper late tomorrow afternoon and post my findings in your thread 馃

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
More power on the daily
Chapter 1 of a 6 part series: Fuel Pump
Picked up an AEM 340 to upgrade the stock pump, as my plans for the near future will need it!

This swap is surprisingly way easier than it looks when you're reading instructions and watching videos.
Everything was straight forward and went together nicely.
Drove my car around the block, and then used it to get to the office today.
Starts, runs, and drives the same as before, so I'd say it's a success!
IDC and FP are spot-on according to the Access Port, so looks like I did the job right!

After reaching out to a few pro tuners to plan for the future, it looks like Neetronics is gunna be my go-to tuner.
They are also only 15 mins down the road, so that's a huge plus.
Only problem is they are booked up until the end of September, which is good and bad.
Good that they are obviously well liked and have a strong following.
Bad that I'm just gunna have to wait a bit to get around to installing all my parts.
I'm still going to install a few more parts that are not tune dependant, but now that I have this extra time, I've got two more parts on order to put the finishing touches on the setup before I get the tune!

I'm not 100% on what to expect from the setup I've got planned, but just hoping to maybe (probably) cross over into the 300whp range.
For a daily, I think that would be more than ideal 馃槢

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Chapter 2: Getting Equal

So the last power mod I'm installing before my pre-protune mashup is the headers.
This was definitely one of the most labour intensive installs I've ever done myself, and I did it all on jack stands too! :ROFLMAO:
I've done oil pans, timing belts, downpipes, exhausts, coils, sways, etc. on a variety of cars, but this one definitely takes the cake!
This is probably the last mod I'm doing of this level on jack stands.
I'm looking to buy a place next year and will be scouting a high-ceiling garage and installing a lift!

Onto the headers...

This photo brought joy the minute I laid the pieces out.
The new headers are so much larger, smoother, and substantial than the OEM part.
It's like comparing a baguette to a pretzel.
Also funny story, that oem up-pipe is a pain in the ass!
You have to drop the subframe brace, sway-bar, unbolt the engine mounts, lift the motor, then pull the up-pipe down and twist the hell out of it while you go from above and below the vehicle constantly, bending the heat shield.
It's not thin metal, but I practically crumpled the heat shield into a ball before the up-pipe could be wedged out from under the motor.
I'm glad I didn't pay a shop to do this job cause I imagine the labour rate would have been intense.
I split the job up between Sat and Sun, and went slow and steady, OCDafying every step.
Every bolt is torqued to spec and covered in copper anti-cease, just to give you an idea.
It's a shame they are under the car...

Just running on a Cobb ACN Stage 2 tune for now, while I wait for my protune appt before I install everything else.
Car had 0 feedback or knock learn, and IDC reached a max of 96% the couple times I floored it.
I drove it quite a bit, cause it stinks a bit from the new metals, but once the car was up to temp, I tested it out.
The sound has definitely changed.
Even with the stock exhaust, it sounds more like a boomier Porsche since the UEL putter is gone.
At low/traffic speeds, the car is noticeably smoother.
I'm used to the car being lurchy/jumpy at low speed/rpm when getting on and off the throttle but that appears to no longer be the case.
Even on a Cobb tune, the 0-50(kph) is noticeably more violent, it deff picked up a nice chunk of torque.
While the overall 'power' is slightly better, I can't wait till the pro tune to unleash the beast.
Today's experience was pleasant, but it's even more encouraging knowing 'this isn't it' yet.
The modding for now will mostly go on pause, as my tuner is booked up for over a month, but once that day approaches there is going to be a lot going on 馃槵

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just a mini update!
Car is going in for a tune later next month, so I've got a arsenal of tune-dependant mods to put in right before that happens.
In the meantime, just a few little odds and ends.
Car is currently in the garage with the front end off as I'm doing something cosmetic, so stay tuned for that!
Here was a little something I picked up last week:
Light Black Automotive design Camera accessory Automotive tire

Since I'm keeping the stock airbox and only going with an inlet, I figured I'd maximize that setup for the tune.
Replaced all the corrugated plastic intake piping with smooth silicone pieces!
Can't say I really noticed a difference driving, but every little bit counts come tune day!

Registered
Have you replaced the TMIC red elbow yet? I know mine was pretty swollen and chewed up from the clamp around 70K. The same goes for my turbo inlet. It wasn't broken or leaking but swollen up overtime from the clamp. I replaced both intercooler hoses with Grimmspeed reds and when for the Perrin inlet in black as well. They arent things that are really needed for tunes but like you said, every little bit helps come time dyno tune.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Have you replaced the TMIC red elbow yet? I know mine was pretty swollen and chewed up from the clamp around 70K. The same goes for my turbo inlet. It wasn't broken or leaking but swollen up overtime from the clamp. I replaced both intercooler hoses with Grimmspeed reds and when for the Perrin inlet in black as well. They arent things that are really needed for tunes but like you said, every little bit helps come time dyno tune.
This kit included the piping for both sides of the intercooler; the red pipe and the short coupler to the throttle body.
I also picked up the air-box to inlet pipe (because I'm keeping the airbox... don't need unnecessary whooshing noises).
And don't worry, I'm not done yet!
I've got a Killer-B hard inlet pipe on order, I'm just waiting for them to receive stock and ship.
ETA is early oct now, which is why my tuning appt has been pushed back.
Mid to late Oct I've got FPR, EBCS, injectors, spark plugs, and inlet to install.
Super excited to see the results!
I've read that Cobb Stage 2-> Stage 2+ Header pro-tune is like going from stock -> Cobb Stage 2, so if that's the case, I think I'll be very pleased.
These power mods and one more cosmetic mod (that is backordered till Nov) and the sti will be complete 馃
Now that I'll be finished modding the daily, the project car can finally get some attention (next summer)
馃槀

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
One last cosmetic mod for the season (winter doesn't count).
Went into this thinking it would just be a quick weekend project, but it turned into a bit of a task.
I bought some vinyl to put on my headlights (say what you will), so I had to pull the carbon eyebrows first.
They are held on with 3M VHB.
Obviously there was tape residue left behind, so not thinking about it, I grabbed some goof-off adhesive remover and began to rub off the tape.
Well, my headlights were already wrapped with Xpel protection film, and I was just going to put my new vinyl ontop of that, but the goof off actually etched the lenses right through the xpel and burned an unpleasant haze into the headlights.
After a quick trip to the hardware store, I began to fix that problem.
I peeled the xpel and proceeded to wet sand off all the chemical burn using 800 grit, which took a while.
Then I progressively worked up to 1200-1500-2000 grit.
Then, luckily I bought this earlier this year, I whipped out my new rotary buffer I used to do the tails (before the Valenti's) and proceeded to buff with one wheel/product, and then follow that up with a polish+wheel.
At the end of that little side project, the lenses were probably crisper than they have ever been before.
Finally, I was able to install the Vvivid light-smoke I had purchased, and then I reinstalled the carbon eyebrows.
This >50$ (and multi-day) project was to cure the urge to splurge on a set of circuit demon lights (blowing over $1000 on my daily again 馃槀).
I think it turned out alright, I'm happy!
Car is looking pretty mean now, and after testing, can confirm that the vinyl has little effect on the light output.
Now, time for a wash!
Light Automotive tire Product Fluid Liquid

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Registered
One last cosmetic mod for the season (winter doesn't count).
Went into this thinking it would just be a quick weekend project, but it turned into a bit of a task.
I bought some vinyl to put on my headlights (say what you will), so I had to pull the carbon eyebrows first.
They are held on with 3M VHB.
Obviously there was tape residue left behind, so not thinking about it, I grabbed some goof-off adhesive remover and began to rub off the tape.
Well, my headlights were already wrapped with Xpel protection film, and I was just going to put my new vinyl ontop of that, but the goof off actually etched the lenses right through the xpel and burned an unpleasant haze into the headlights.
After a quick trip to the hardware store, I began to fix that problem.
I peeled the xpel and proceeded to wet sand off all the chemical burn using 800 grit, which took a while.
Then I progressively worked up to 1200-1500-2000 grit.
Then, luckily I bought this earlier this year, I whipped out my new rotary buffer I used to do the tails (before the Valenti's) and proceeded to buff with one wheel/product, and then follow that up with a polish+wheel.
At the end of that little side project, the lenses were probably crisper than they have ever been before.
Finally, I was able to install the Vvivid light-smoke I had purchased, and then I reinstalled the carbon eyebrows.
This >50$ (and multi-day) project was to cure the urge to splurge on a set of circuit demon lights (blowing over $1000 on my daily again 馃槀).
I think it turned out alright, I'm happy!
Car is looking pretty mean now, and after testing, can confirm that the vinyl has little effect on the light output.
Now, time for a wash!
View attachment 63821
View attachment 63822
Hey! Question about fog lights. The fog light kit on the 2008-2010 is different from the 2011 onwards. The latter is a much nicer look (yours :p) do you know if the one 2011 kit would fit on a 2010 ?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey! Question about fog lights. The fog light kit on the 2008-2010 is different from the 2011 onwards. The latter is a much nicer look (yours :p) do you know if the one 2011 kit would fit on a 2010 ?
I don't have experience with the fog-lights on the 08-10, personally.
When I was shopping for my Morimoto kit, I believe I just entered my model year and they came up.
From a quick glance, i see the kit for the 11-14, but on Morimoto's website nothing comes up when I search the 08-10.

You might wana try reaching out to Morimoto themselves, as these foglights are 1000x better than the stock ones, and worth the hassle.
They have a crisp cut-off and I aimed mine, so when it's really bad out, I can turn off my headlights and only run the fogs and it's perfect for the conditions.

Registered
I don't have experience with the fog-lights on the 08-10, personally.
When I was shopping for my Morimoto kit, I believe I just entered my model year and they came up.
From a quick glance, i see the kit for the 11-14, but on Morimoto's website nothing comes up when I search the 08-10.

You might wana try reaching out to Morimoto themselves, as these foglights are 1000x better than the stock ones, and worth the hassle.
They have a crisp cut-off and I aimed mine, so when it's really bad out, I can turn off my headlights and only run the fogs and it's perfect for the conditions.
I actually mean about the plastic itself in the bumper rather than the lights, the way the 2011+ flow with the lines is much nicer than the 2008-2010 bumper fog lights. I don鈥檛 see a reason that it shouldn鈥檛 work though.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I actually mean about the plastic itself in the bumper rather than the lights, the way the 2011+ flow with the lines is much nicer than the 2008-2010 bumper fog lights. I don鈥檛 see a reason that it shouldn鈥檛 work though.
Ahhh okay, yea if you want to use the plastic covers from an 11+ on a 08-10 that鈥檇 be a custom fit for sure. Even if you can make the panels fit, there is no guarantee the fogs will line up with the panels in that position. Personally, I鈥檇 look into an aftermarket/carbon replacement panel for the whole fog/ lower grille surround, or consider picking up a facelift bumper if you really prefer the look. Idk about where you鈥檙e at but here we have a service where you just pick your car and colour and pay and they drop off a freshly painted replacement bumper for not a terrible price. Of course this would only work for some colours, as colours like SWP there is a 90% chance the colour match will be bad

Registered
Ahhh okay, yea if you want to use the plastic covers from an 11+ on a 08-10 that鈥檇 be a custom fit for sure. Even if you can make the panels fit, there is no guarantee the fogs will line up with the panels in that position. Personally, I鈥檇 look into an aftermarket/carbon replacement panel for the whole fog/ lower grille surround, or consider picking up a facelift bumper if you really prefer the look. Idk about where you鈥檙e at but here we have a service where you just pick your car and colour and pay and they drop off a freshly painted replacement bumper for not a terrible price. Of course this would only work for some colours, as colours like SWP there is a 90% chance the colour match will be bad
Thanks man! Any replacement panels you鈥檇 recommend ?

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks man! Any replacement panels you鈥檇 recommend ?
I'm not super up to speed on the pre-facelift GR, but I know Chargespeed makes a version.
Hopefully you can find a rep, because I think the Chargespeed stuff is $$$

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Okay, here is a long one!
The time had finally arrived for my pro-tune this Monday.
I have sort of been leaking what I had planned here and there.

The car already had installed:
  • Cobb Accessport
  • Cobb 3" D.P
  • Tomei ELH
  • AEM 340 fuel pump

Then, between the 16th-24th I had the car in my garage so I could install:
  • Cobb FPR
  • Step-colder NGK spark plugs
  • New Subaru OEM coil packs
  • Cobb 1050x fuel injectors
  • Subaru OEM aux belts
  • KillerB hard inlet pipe
  • Cobb EBCS
  • Subaru OEM intake filter
  • Subaru OEM cabin filter
and an oil change...

Boy, was that a week and a half of literal hell!
I probably put over 45hrs into the car in that 8 days.

Pliers Wood Gas Metal Shotgun

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

First came the FPR, easy enough job! No complaints here.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Auto part

Then came the spark plugs... which were a pain in the ass to get to, but not super terrible to deal with.
It's ironically harder to change 4 plugs on a Subaru than 6 plugs on my Porsche lol

Gas Wood Gun accessory Recreation Gun barrel

While I was changing the plugs, the coils came out looking like this (left).
The metal was rusting and splitting, so I figured now would be the best time to change them.
They are an expensive little item, but I could get them next day at the dealer, so I picked up 4 new OEM coils.
These again, are a much bigger pain in the ass to install than my other car because they are literally 1.5" from the frame rail next to the struts!

Cylinder Gas Auto part Pipe Metal

These are the devil... more on that in a second.
They are a huge pain in the ass to get to, first off, and they are not easy to install either...
The OEM fuel rails are not fun to work with, and trying to work in that tiny space, under the fuel and vac lines, over the cyl heads but next to and between the intake manifold.... ooof

Tints and shades Automotive exterior Bumper Font Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Then comes the KillerB hard inlet pipe. As you can see in the pics, fantastic looking piece, just one of the absolute worst things to install I have done in my life.
You have to pull a million things, including the alternator and the power steering pump, and even then it's a headache to wedge into place after you unbolt the fuel lines so they drop down 5mm to give you more clearance to shove.
Then add in the fact that you need to shove and remove it like 3-5 times to constantly trim away at the silicone coupler to the turbo to get it the proper length and clocked correctly, because it is an offset shape.
And then, to really cap it off (KB will be hearing from me about this one), there is no fittings for the blow-by sensor... which my IAG street AOS still utilizes!
The solution is 'if you buy our AOS, you can delete the blow-by sensor, otherwise the capped hole for it is a 1/4" NPT threaded hole, and you can figure the rest out.'
You also have to bend back the crossover pipe near the turbo to make some clearance for the inlet.
This thing is a literal precision fit operation.
I probably spent over 12hrs on it, and a 2hr trip to the automotive/hardware store, but after much stress, it was finally buttoned up with my custom blow-by solution, which involved a modified NPT barb fitting (that was shortened to clear the intake manifold), 1/2" fuel line, and a custom modified blow-by sensor tube that was cut and trimmed to fit into place.
Glad I got it, because the sound and response is wicked, but next time I would just pay a shop to install this part and swallow the bill tbh.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Then the fun part... After everything was installed, I was planning to spend my final day just doing an oil-change and cleaning up the car...
Like I had budgeted my time for...
After loading the base tune up and turning the key to pressurize the fuel system... I smelt fuel.
Turned out the driver side rear injector was dumping fuel when it was pressurized, so I had to turn my attention to that.
8hrs later, I had the injector fixed (or so I thought) and the oil change done, and I was exhausted beyond belief!
Oh well, I'll go to bed early and wash the car tomorrow....
Then Monday rolls around, and I pull the car out to clean it before my tune.... and I smell fuel again...
The same injector had a leak, a much smaller leak, but a leak!
After signing up for CAA, towing the car to the shop and dumping it there and telling them 'fix the leak, and squeeze me in for a tune when you can' I was so over it.
The shop I had chosen is super popular, so my tuning appointment for that afternoon was up in the air, and the next available appointment was November 20th.
I told them, just see what you can do today, and if you have to hold onto the car for a month, so be it.
I can drive my summer car till it snows...
After all that effort, I was beat.
Then 3hrs later I get an email... "The car is done and ready for pickup".
I had to do a double-take...
"Done as in not leaking anymore, I'll see you on the 20th, or done as in done-done?"
"Injectors are fixed and car is tuned, ready for pickup"
Ho-ly-shit.
Andy and his crew at Neetronics totally came through hard on this one.
Turns out my driver-side injectors needed new o-rings on the rail side, as they got damaged during the install (I wasn't careful enough during my 8-10 attempts to re-seat them prior), so they were able to diagnose that and correct it within an hour, and the car was up on the dyno in no time!
I just picked up the car today on the new tune.
Making a conservative "280whp and 335wtq" on Canadian 94oct.
But holy crap, it's a completely different car now.
Throttle is sharp, exact, and smooth.
No more jittering or lurching at low rpm.
Car actually sounds a bit meaner now with the inlet, despite the stock exhaust/air-box, and the power.... oooo baby.
Dyno curve looks smoooooth:
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

Super happy now with where I'm at mechanically!
I'm pleased to say that once I recover from all this physical stress, it will 100% have been worth the adventure.
Again, big shout out to the crew over at Neetronics.
They pulled through and set the car up fantastic as far as I can tell.
I just drove around for over 2hrs, even in traffic, just to feel the car.
Car needs a nice wash now once it stops raining!
I'm officially done modding the car for now.... mechanically....
I won't be popping the hood any time soon except to check oil, coolant, and do maintenance, but I've still got a couple more items to squeeze in before the snow falls... so while the novel I just wrote might seem like a full story.... stay tuned ;)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Registered
Really nice gains! I like how they kept the correction factor on SAE, smoothing 5. I think that gives more realistic numbers in my opinion. I think our power levels are pretty similar considering we have almost mod for mod just different brands. I believe you have more fuel mods than me but I also have EWG. We both made it to 335ftlbs of torque on conservative tunes. Im sure it feels like a rocket for you now!

Yeah once I read that about the KB inlet of having to trim and size to fit, no thanks, glad I didnt wait. The Perrin for what it may be (expensive and silicone) it fit like a glove in 1 shot without any issues for me. Worth it in my opinion since I did not have to remove PS pump or alternator and can do in just a couple hours. As for the ELH, its amazing how the car transforms with those things. Its literally night and day difference in how the car runs and sounds.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts