IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Will the GTX 2860 Gen 2 be enough of an upgrade over a VF48? Just looking for better spoof and slightly better top end
If that's all you're looking for then yes, that will be enough but the 2867 would be a better choice to allow some more power in the future and it still spools nearly instantly.

That compressor wheel has been pushed into the low 400s on pump 94 with better than stock VF spool (3200rpm range).

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
That 660 is very interesting to me. Can't wait to see some results.
Yeah I'm really interested in it as well. With the 0.9 a/r housing some quick math says it should be good to max out the pump gas capabilities on my 2L around 530-550whp. But it will be interesting to see how it performs whence it gets out into the public.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Will the GTX 2860 Gen 2 be enough of an upgrade over a VF48? Just looking for better spoof and slightly better top end
I would opt out for 3067. Best compromise for a street car. And she breathes efficiently everywhere at the same boost levels.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yeah I'm really interested in it as well. With the 0.9 a/r housing some quick math says it should be good to max out the pump gas capabilities on my 2L around 530-550whp. But it will be interesting to see how it performs whence it gets out into the public.

2 + 2 is 4 - 1 that's 3

Quick mafs.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I would opt out for 3067. Best compromise for a street car. And she breathes efficiently everywhere at the same boost levels.

Absolutely agree with this. This turbo (hybrid 28/30R) works so well on these engines it's almost like it was made for them. We've seen them so some VERY impressive numbers, even in restricted Rally. Not only that they outspool the VF turbos too. The big problem is finding one, because Garrett discontinued them :( You can still find them at some retailers who had decent inventory.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
ATP still has some stock in their stock location versions and the super core kits last I checked a couple weeks ago. I've been trying to get a hold of a 67mm Gen 2 wheel to put on my Gen 1 3067 but so far no dice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Build is done but I'm still not up to full boost. Very happy with the turbo but the atp kit sucked my tuner said for the price the fittings were garbage.

On e85 i had it up to 22 psi and it made 400whp 475wtq. Were going for close to 30 psi come spring

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that's all you're looking for then yes, that will be enough but the 2867 would be a better choice to allow some more power in the future and it still spools nearly instantly.

That compressor wheel has been pushed into the low 400s on pump 94 with better than stock VF spool (3200rpm range).

2867 Gen 2 would be my choice but a lot of people are recommended the Dom 1.5 8cm over it when i said i want better response than stock turbo with more top end

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
2867 Gen 2 would be my choice but a lot of people are recommended the Dom 1.5 8cm over it when i said i want better response than stock turbo with more top end
I would only go with the Blouch if your budget doesn't allow for the Garrett. If you can afford the Garrett I would go for that over the Blouch all day any day. Its more reliable and the performance is better (the Dom 1.5 is bigger than a 2867 but makes the same if not less power at a cost of spool time as well). But that my opinion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would only go with the Blouch if your budget doesn't allow for the Garrett. If you can afford the Garrett I would go for that over the Blouch all day any day. Its more reliable and the performance is better (the Dom 1.5 is bigger than a 2867 but makes the same if not less power at a cost of spool time as well). But that my opinion.

Ive run both. I still have both. Same e85, same weather, same dyno. If we are talkin stock location, the blouch out performed the piss out of my X2867. And that was with a smaller hotside. Spool was identical and the dom carried the torque much farther and the iat's were much better with the dom. Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Could be due to the E85. Up here we can't get E85 at the pump so all of my judgements are based off pump gas. On pump gas we find the Blouch turbos to loose efficiency after 20psi or so. One of my friends had his V9 spec C 207 max out the efficiency of a 1.5 with an 8cm housing at 375whp at 20 psi to the point it made the exact same hp/tq at 24psi but with higher IATs offsetting the increase in airflow, which probably could have been taken care of with a larger IC but that's for a different discussion. It is larger than the 2867 so it would make sence that it would make more power if you could find a way to keep it efficient in the upper RPMs and higher boost levels. Which is probably what you're seeing with your E85.

On our pump gas the 1.5 usually taps out around 370-390. We've run gen1 2867s into the low 400s on the same gas. But generally they end up around the 360-380 mark unless the motor has a bigger exhaust, higher compression, or bigger cams. I can't say as to what a 1.5 would make with those cause no one around here bothers with Blouch on a build that extensive. But again differing results could be largely due to pump gas vs E85.

I've also personally seen too many catastrophic failures of Blouch turbos and no failures of Garrett's so I don't trust Blouch turbos....so I'm biased in that regard so take my Blouch comparisons with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For anyone that comes to this thread looking to go a similar route, I would strongly recommend waiting to see how these G-series Garretts perform. They have made some significant improvements across the board with this series and offer turbos that should fit right into the needs of most STi enthusiasts building a fast daily. Both the G25-550 and G25-660 replace GTX28 size turbos, but offer wayyyyy more peak flow. The 660 could be the absolute sweet spot for a mean daily with some track duty.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
For anyone that comes to this thread looking to go a similar route, I would strongly recommend waiting to see how these G-series Garretts perform. They have made some significant improvements across the board with this series and offer turbos that should fit right into the needs of most STi enthusiasts building a fast daily. Both the G25-550 and G25-660 replace GTX28 size turbos, but offer wayyyyy more peak flow. The 660 could be the absolute sweet spot for a mean daily with some track duty.
^ we are on the fast track with Garrett to get these integrated into our kits ASAP. Garrett was already ahead of the game with the Gen II, so I'm really looking forward to how these G-Series turbos perform.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So for those of us still sitting on the fence, how does this compare to the 3576 gen 1 and 3576 gen 2? Asking for a friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgot to update you Maz about my gen2 3576r. I went ahead and did cams and larger valves and she made 644/595whp vs the previous 565/530whp. The big version of the g series is supposed to be just slightly below our size but picks up earlier.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Sounds like a straight upgrade to my Gen 1 and perhaps more daily friendly. Might be the right choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 93 Posts