IW STi Forum banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Silly boys. I am sure he got my tone just fine knowing me personally. I just like to tease the tip a little ;)

I removed the pump on my first clutch change. Figured you would too since you track her as well long ago. Weight savings, parasitic loss and turbulence from the air ways and such :]

I am sure the motor feels better with a fluid dampned pulley at higher RPM's, my personal experiences in my car were smooth as well using a Kartboy Pulley, Beatrush Alternator Pulley and OEM PS. A/C Belt removed for track days.

And let's be real, friends or not, how many people say 'sure you can try my car out and high RPM's to see if you notice a difference in a pulley'

Yeah sure, toss me the keys brah :lol:

<3 Chris

PS. As the Internet says, Fuji Heavy Ind. doesn't have a factory dampned pulley

refill please

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
i never said you could drive mine :]

Subaru never made a pulley with dampener function? I don't know about yours but mine has a little ring of rubber separating the outer from inner. I'm pretty sure that has some dampening effect.

parasitic drag? How so? It's electric pump that runs only at start up.
weight reduction? sure, maybe 5 lbs or so
turbulence? ok, sure.
Sure, I still yanked it out when I did the build...which is also the first time I changed the clutch.

I believe the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have a few that do not. EJ253 pulley on the shelf is all metal and hollow. EJ251 was more solid. I think my 07 STi OEM one has some rubber... didn't last long before the upgrade

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, a damper is all about what YOU can feel...

We have dampers that go on the GT350 Mustang... Has nothing to do with vibrations "YOU" can feel, it's because when that beautiful 5.2 is run at peak torque for extended periods, the engine will resonate itself unto pieces.

Anyway, you clearly know more better than me, so I won't bother with facts.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Hello again, IWSTI. It's been a long 3+ years.

What have I and my car been up to? Since the last update:
  • finally installed an upgraded oil cooler
  • took out the old worn out Sparco and put in a Recaro Speed sport seat
  • developed a weeping leak in the Killer B oil pan. :( Leaking from a weld seam. Between our cracked windage trays and my leaky oil pan, my friend, my mechanic, and I just don't trust all of Killer B's products any more. Their oil pickup still gets a thumbs up from me though.
  • tracked the STI and got my PB at BW 13CW :)
  • bought another car, a 2003 M3 6-spd
  • sold my '87 E30 325is
  • changed jobs
  • moved to NorCal
  • got engaged
(Man, does life come at you fast...)

The STI has turned into my project/weekend car. I'm now daily driving the M3 while the STI sleeps in a storage unit most of the time. It's tough living in an apartment and having 2 cars.

I'll admit I've contemplated selling the STI a few times. It feels bad to have it sit there, not being driven. The exhaust is loud and the clutch is heavy. I've driven other cars that are just as fast but do it with less effort. The oil leak is annoying because it's not a easy fix I can do on my own. Whenever I drive it, it feels like I'm waiting for that ref ticket.

But whenever I get the chance to fire it up, those thoughts of selling it get drowned out by the hiss of the turbo.

"Maybe I'll find another exhaust that's quieter."

So for now, I'll keep it locked up safe in the storage unit.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts