IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Willow Springs the other day and began to think about some modifications and I thought I should get some input from those that might now a bit more than myself.

First, what do you think of using some hose and running it from a WRX style fog light facia from the front bumper back to the caliper for cooling. The brakes on the STI get very hot and I thought some additional cooling could help.

Second, what do you think about the same setup buy funneling the air to the area of the intake so the intake definitely takes in cold air. Currently the scoop sits atop the radiator and if you really look at the seals between the hood and front grill you realize that this could have been designed to receive colder air than that which gets sucked in above the radiator.

Third, what do you think about a radiator shield on the STI?

Fourth, what do you think about a grounding kit? I am always getting shocked when I exit the car and I was told this will help.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
gotcha covered on #4 ;)

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3491

Robert~

since no one sees this area of your car, i remember someone doing a write up for a supra on how to use a gutter end (Big V funnel) and running it to their brakes to help cooling.

Also I believe the air intake is already receiving cold air (as it is a "ram-air" scoop to the front of the hood). If you have an aftermarket filter, try using the stock "ram-air" scoop and the silencer bypass (just an elbow). That would throw cold air into your AM filter. Also maybe you could create a box or shield to also aid in this feat.

Radiator shield? Do you mean on TOP of the radiator or in front of it (blocking debris)?

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you take out your intake silencer, take out the ram air piece and block the hole, and remove the foghole cover, it would force air into the fender where the intake sits, creating a cold air effect. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Brake cooling is always a great idea, and you can do it yourself for less than $40-50 and couple of hours of work; or you can buy a pre-fabricated one specifically for STi for about $130 from SubbieGal. If you track regularly, it is a must modification. However, better brake pads and change of brake fluid should also be in your must list.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
staticx313 -- let me know when you finish your ground kit. Did you have one on previously? Did you notice a difference?

And yes the radiators shroud I am talking about is the one on top of the radiator.

Anybody have a link to the Subiegirl item?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Brake cooling is always a great idea, and you can do it yourself for less than $40-50 and couple of hours of work; or you can buy a pre-fabricated one specifically for STi for about $130 from SubbieGal. If you track regularly, it is a must modification. However, better brake pads and change of brake fluid should also be in your must list.
You have a link? I'd like to see the pre-fabbed one so I can make my own : )

EDIT - nm, I found the link:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1622127&description=brake&catid=13029

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Nivek-CA said:
staticx313 -- let me know when you finish your ground kit. Did you have one on previously? Did you notice a difference?

And yes the radiators shroud I am talking about is the one on top of the radiator.

Anybody have a link to the Subiegirl item?
Yes with the 8ga grounding kit from speedmonkee it did fix my idle, and helped power wise, but it just didnt seem like enough (which is why Im doing a full 4 ga kit takinga bout 8-9points). It should be perfect after im done with this. Also I had JJ close the thread until im done (and i will start a new thread) as people were being dumb and arguing endlessly about wiring crap... and it just made me mad so I asked JJ to close it. I will start a thread with only orders of the wiring kit, so that no more useless arguments fill it up and people miss my updates and such.

as for the radiator shroud, there are some out there that do help , as they block air from going over and around the Radiator, but my Perrin is all show... it jsut sits on top and i like it.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Singletrack said:
Nivek-CA said:
Any thoughts on the HKS grounding kit?
I'm sure it works fine, but EVERY major brand grounding kit I've seen is drastically overpriced.

-st
which is exactly why im making mine... $1XX+ +shipping. Whereas mine is $45 +s/h... 4ga wiring and 8-9 grounding points... :) soldered and crimped ends for best conductivity, knu konceptz 4ga OFC wiring, etc :) once I get mine finished I will post it up and start taking preorders.

Robert~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts