IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the General Section as im just about to close out a deal on an 06 STI as soon as i decide the color...You can disregard the short-shift kit question as i will post that in another category (but if you have input there that would be great :D).

I am debating getting the SPT Short throw. Is it that much of an improvement over stock? Would you do it again? The stock throws already seem shorter than my M3, and much shorter than my 325iX. Also, the titanium shift knob, does it feel pretty good in your hands?

I would like to add a CAI intake at some point. Is the SPT intake worth it? If not, which intake offers you the best gains/sound for your money? Would an aftermarket CAI void warranty? I have never modded a vehicle before (even a basic performance upgrade), so I am not sure.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to be a member of IWSTI :tup:!

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
APS CAI is the best IMO

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
+1 for aps cai, i have it and love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blk04sti said:
K&N Typhoon is a good buy...good power gains and doesn't effect the fuel curve too much at all. Same for the SPT...looks like the typhoon (design wise) and holds the warranty.

Christian from cobb did an awesome write up on it here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60461

Thanks for all your responses...so anything other than the SPT will void the warranty, and if so, for which warranty components?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mike M3 said:
Thanks for all your responses...so anything other than the SPT will void the warranty, and if so, for which warranty components?

Thanks,

Michael
Not sure...you would have to check with your Subaru dealer...but I know SPT stuff is full warranty

·
Registered
802 Posts
blk04sti said:
Not sure...you would have to check with your Subaru dealer...but I know SPT stuff is full warranty
More likely than not it'll just be your intake that would not be covered any longer. If they refuse anything more than that and your dealer has problems.

I have the typhoon. You'll hear a lot of people say hot air intake and thrash on SRI's. Do a good search and you'll find both sides to it.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
im bout to sell my typhoon for the APS CAI

·
Registered
876 Posts
stock is best until you upgrade the turbo or injectors

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
APS CAI if you must have an intake on the stock turbo. APS 70 MM intake if your going to be tuned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
STiSubyMan said:
Is the 65 mm APS CAI Good also?
Definately.

Everyone has an opinion about intakes. You'll find that most people on here sway 1 of 4 ways:

1) Stock with stock turbo
2)K&N drop in
3)Cold air aps or injen cold air (more APS)
4)the tyhpoon and now the SPT

CAI in great because it has low intake temps, but needs to be tuned sometimes

RAM air (typhoon or SPT) can have higher intake temps epecially in the hot parts of the country but if you read the results the SPT inatke I posted earlier...they do drop once moving

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
STiSubyMan said:
Is the 65 mm APS CAI Good also?

Yes definitely. You will see more gains from the APS 70 MM CAI though, but it requires tuning!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts