IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
Thats it, close the thread.
:rolleyes:

There are too many variables for something like that though. It can be misleading when someone says "XXX on stock block." How much HP? How was it tuned? Aggressively? Conservatively? Daily driven? Raced? Etc.

A local had a 35r on the stock block for years before it finally blew. Want to guess how often the car was driven though?
Yes to this! Also put into account that his car was may be in a ideal environment / condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info man I have been track racing for years and come from a 600 awhp EVOX I loved it on the track, its safe. Most people dont understand that, that much horsepower is not safe on the street I dont care how good you are. Like I said I drove my evo on the track but hardly ever did I drive it on the road, its not you if your good it the other guy. You never know what the guy next to you is going to do. I do lover sti's even though I came from the mitsu world I still have a lot of for the subie world thats why i'm here and looking to buy a new one for a street car. 400 awhp is more then enough for the road and if you don't think so come see me ill show you a great time in my buddies omega ams gtr 1300 awhp on the track. Remember guys what you see on TV is not that easy it takes years to get really good at driving high speeds. I recommend to really learn what you have stock first then go from there. I don't mean driving stock for a month or two and think you are the stig:) I mean a year maybe more then go slow at moding your car start with tbe then part by part learning the affects of each before going to the next step. Have fun and do your research get to know the experienced guys around you to help you learn. if you leave in BAMA let me know Ill see what I can and can't do to help you guys out:) happy driving

·
Registered
124 Posts
I seen a streetable 1200 hp Mustang. There's nothing unsafe about it. It has this thing called a throttle that varies the amount of power that is output to the wheels. Obviously you would not want to drive in the rain with the tires it had on it, but it had these special kind of rims where you could interchange the tires. Crazy, I know.

All smart assiness aside, power doesn't make a car dangerous. An idiot with a short fuse behind the wheel of an 80hp Civic is more dangerous than a guy that invested his heart and soul into his 1200hp Mustang.

Motiva Motorsports

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I agree with you 100% most people don't know how to stay off the throttle when they are young and dumb trying to impress all the cute girls thats all im saying:)

I seen a streetable 1200 hp Mustang. There's nothing unsafe about it. It has this thing called a throttle that varies the amount of power that is output to the wheels. Obviously you would not want to drive in the rain with the tires it had on it, but it had these special kind of rims where you could interchange the tires. Crazy, I know.

All smart assiness aside, power doesn't make a car dangerous. An idiot with a short fuse behind the wheel of an 80hp Civic is more dangerous than a guy that invested his heart and soul into his 1200hp Mustang.

Motiva Motorsports

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Great info man I have been track racing for years and come from a 600 awhp EVOX I loved it on the track, its safe. Most people dont understand that, that much horsepower is not safe on the street I dont care how good you are. Like I said I drove my evo on the track but hardly ever did I drive it on the road, its not you if your good it the other guy. You never know what the guy next to you is going to do. I do lover sti's even though I came from the mitsu world I still have a lot of for the subie world thats why i'm here and looking to buy a new one for a street car. 400 awhp is more then enough for the road and if you don't think so come see me ill show you a great time in my buddies omega ams gtr 1300 awhp on the track. Remember guys what you see on TV is not that easy it takes years to get really good at driving high speeds. I recommend to really learn what you have stock first then go from there. I don't mean driving stock for a month or two and think you are the stig:) I mean a year maybe more then go slow at moding your car start with tbe then part by part learning the affects of each before going to the next step. Have fun and do your research get to know the experienced guys around you to help you learn. if you leave in BAMA let me know Ill see what I can and can't do to help you guys out:) happy driving
What the hell are you trying to say.. ? :eek2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What the hell are you trying to say.. ? :eek2:
LOL I was a little drunk:) basically I was saying to the young guys stay safe and don't go out and get a sti and think your god. Start off slow and learn the car, and look to the more experienced guys to help you learn your car thats all:) sorry haha

·
Registered
354 Posts
Idk, 400whp on the street is too weak for me... I have over 500awhp and if I wasn't selling her, I'd be going for more. With larger turbo setups it can be a good and bad thing all together when it comes to high hp turbo response. Feels sluggish enough on the road for dd and then when you need it or want to think you need it :) , drop her down a gear or two and wait for it... Holy Sh!t!!!
My honest opinion is, if you aren't keeping up with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Lol

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
Idk, 400whp on the street is too weak for me... I have over 500awhp and if I wasn't selling her, I'd be going for more. With larger turbo setups it can be a good and bad thing all together when it comes to high hp turbo response. Feels sluggish enough on the road for dd and then when you need it or want to think you need it :) , drop her down a gear or two and wait for it... Holy Sh!t!!!
My honest opinion is, if you aren't keeping up with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Lol
...and what does this add?

Lets minimize the clutter. This thread is to guide / help people to get 400whp ; not "400whp is too weak for me" BS talk.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...and what does this add? Image Link

Lets minimize the clutter. This thread is to guide / help people to get 400whp ; not "400whp is too weak for me" BS talk.
I was going off of a previous post where someone stated they had a 600whp EVO and freely expressed his opinion on having a 400whp car. I added my opinion on having a 400whp STI having built mine from stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and now having over 500whp. People obviously learn from others exp. I wasn't trying to add "BS talk" just my BS opinion. Heaven forbid free expression. :busted:

·
Registered
208 Posts
You are wrong about 20g's. A 20gxt with a 10cm hotside easily hits 400whp on efilogics dyno . I'm at 357whp/370tq @. 20psi . Mike at Efi had to taper my 20psi tune because it was hitting 400 whp lol.

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Your answer to "I want 400whp" (or more?!)

First half of this post irks me. Makes it sound like the best way to get 400AWHP is to find the right dyno! Your car has the power it has. A good, properly calibrated/compensated dyno can measure that power. It's not the Dynos fault it is not accurately set up, or that someone provides you with poor information.

Do I believe every dyno is exactly the same? No, but the variation we see regularly here is ridiculous.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You are wrong about 20g's. A 20gxt with a 10cm hotside easily hits 400whp on efilogics dyno . I'm at 357whp/370tq @. 20psi . Mike at Efi had to taper my 20psi tune because it was hitting 400 whp lol.
yeah i can attest to that- our 20g car did 400whp. no it wasnt on a mustang dyno lol. and i can also attest to (being fairly new to the 2.5 boxer motor (2-3 years experience) as our shop specializes in GM, the STI is a hobby of mine) the 400whp and 20ish psi as being the limit to some degree. i road race the car, most of its life on a stage 2+ protune and full bolt-ons, upgraded tmic, etc. it was pushing about 32x whp and ran great. but pushed it up with a ported 20g, nice billet wheel, but kept 8cm2 for the purpose use of the car it just made more sense. i figured at the 400whp level it would blow up on the track at some point, maybe in the next 6 months and ill build it then.

well it blew up while i was giving a customer a ride in it on the street, threw a rod bearing. thinking of doing the Cosworth shortblock, maybe the stroker not sure... any suggestions on the Cosworth??

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Your answer to "I want 400whp" (or more?!)

You can do as well for less. Not familiar with Southern shops though. Start looking at IAG and Element.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
yeah i can attest to that- our 20g car did 400whp. no it wasnt on a mustang dyno lol. and i can also attest to (being fairly new to the 2.5 boxer motor (2-3 years experience) as our shop specializes in GM, the STI is a hobby of mine) the 400whp and 20ish psi as being the limit to some degree. i road race the car, most of its life on a stage 2+ protune and full bolt-ons, upgraded tmic, etc. it was pushing about 32x whp and ran great. but pushed it up with a ported 20g, nice billet wheel, but kept 8cm2 for the purpose use of the car it just made more sense. i figured at the 400whp level it would blow up on the track at some point, maybe in the next 6 months and ill build it then.

well it blew up while i was giving a customer a ride in it on the street, threw a rod bearing. thinking of doing the Cosworth shortblock, maybe the stroker not sure... any suggestions on the Cosworth??
The Cosworth pistons are great for a street/track car. Not as noisey as the 2618 pistons on the market, but super strong. I've had two of the bigger shops around here ask me what internals I'm running because it's so quiet. Going for their full shortblock is unnecessary though, in my opinion. It just costs way too much. I went with Manley H-Tuff rods. Half the price of the Cossie rods and plenty strong. They're on the heavier side, but my motor runs like a dream and the short block will hold more than could be considered safe without sleeves/closed deck.

When it comes to strokers -- skip it. Keep it simple.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts