41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
its "overbored", as in, the bore:stroke ratio is >1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome post and thank you for the effort you put in because i actually just bought an 05 WRX STi thats pushing about 475WHP and this will help me learn how to manage it. This is my first turbo car and i really want her to last, at least until i pay of the loan :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by my tuner that the upper horsepower limit for reliability of my 2006 STi stock block was 380 at the crank. Huge difference with 400 hp at the wheels!

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
I was told by my tuner that the upper horsepower limit for reliability of my 2006 STi stock block was 380 at the crank. Huge difference with 400 hp at the wheels!
:eek:rly: Who is your tuner?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I can understand 350whp on a low reading dyno, but remember, the number is just a guideline, not an absolute. You can reach 400bhp or crank HP very quickly with these cars.

FWIW, my motor was at 346whp on that low reading mustang dyno when it blew a ringland. It was either a meth leak that caused me to run lean or the stock motor just couldnt take any more.

Regardless, I knew the motor would go eventually, so it wasnt a huge shock. I have yet to get back on that same dyno, but play to this spring/summer to compare. I estimate I am in the 350-360whp on that dyno now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Your answer to "I want 400whp"

None of the "I want 400+ HP peeps will take the time to read this, nice effort though.
they will if they wanna save money and have a 400whp car tomorrow and next year...haha

then again by the time you've invested the research to build a 400whp car and talk to a tuner you damn sure should've learned most of this along the way...either that or you've been talking to the wrong people... I'm in the process of doing a GTX3076 ATP turbo EWG and supporting mods myself...and I fully intend on seeing how long the stock block will run :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
What's the effect of 400whp STIs with regards to being DD? It would be great to have that discussion here too.

I think the Cosworth CS400 is a good goal for daily driven STI's. That should net around 320whp or so?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
What's the effect of 400whp STIs with regards to being DD? It would be great to have that discussion here too.

I think the Cosworth CS400 is a good goal for daily driven STI's. That should net around 320whp or so?
What's the effect? I get a puckered butt hole when I floor it cuz it wants get scwiggly but my tq comes on fast like a 20g-xt on e85. Needless to say it's fun :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
fourseasonsandles...based on your dyno numbers, have you tracked the sti at the drag strip. I'm assuming 360whp-375whp would result in a low 12s to high 11s. I will be purchasing an 08 sti and my goal is to reach 11.8-12.2 ets...

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
fourseasonsandles...based on your dyno numbers, have you tracked the sti at the drag strip. I'm assuming 360whp-375whp would result in a low 12s to high 11s. I will be purchasing an 08 sti and my goal is to reach 11.8-12.2 ets...
If that's your goal. You need around 500-600 horsepower AND it depends on which octane you're getting tuned for.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If that's your goal. You need around 500-600 horsepower AND it depends on which octane you're getting tuned for.
To run low 12s or high 11's I don't think you need 500whp.

I mean realistically 330whp is capable of low 12s, and 360whp should defintely be able to get you into the 11s with skillfull driving. Atleast in my experience.:tup:

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
The Topspeed 2011 STi ran an 11.3 with 443whp a while back.

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
To run low 12s or high 11's I don't think you need 500whp.

I mean realistically 330whp is capable of low 12s, and 360whp should defintely be able to get you into the 11s with skillfull driving. Atleast in my experience.:tup:
If you read carefully, I said horsepower not wheel horsepower. ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Best way is to get forged pistons, bigger turbo, FMIC, or bigger TMIC at least 850cc injectors, 255 or greater fuel pump, Cobb ap, full 3" exauhst and meth. I have a boy that got over 450whp with this setup with no meth but ran e85 on id1000 injectors and twin walbros. I also have another boy that ran a stock block with the above setup and on 91 ran 398whp and with c16 hit 498whp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I have a 2002 WRX. As of right now I have a built PPG transmission and 300whp on my Ej205. I am getting ready to get CNC Engine Dynamics build my Ej257 block to handle 450chp. In terms of mods I already have is: 255 walbro FP, 1000cc DW Injectors, FMIC, UTEC EM, Ported Exhaust Manifold, Rotated Precision 5031 Turbo, Tial 44mm EWG, Perrin EBCS, Catless exhaust. I think thats it. I will be porting my WRX heads, 272 cams and stock valves and springs with ARP headstuds. As far as my block goes, I will be putting new oil and water pumps on, Forged Wiseco 99.5mm stock bore pistons, Eagle Forged Rods, ACL bearings and full block treatment with Gates timing belt and accessories. I should be fine for 450. Maybe not with the turbo I have not but with a 30R, I should be fine

·
Registered
183 Posts
I Never too late to read this great post , Lots of important considerations that helps everyone who like to mod at first time to save money , time and of course right direction. Most of all ... avoid costly engine blown up.... 400 WHP is nice... :)

41 - 60 of 153 Posts