IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Re: Your answer to "I want 400whp"

Only thing I can add is the HTA upgrade for my 3076r was $600, not $400. Everything else looks really well written and explained. Like someone else said though, people wont read this and will still ask the questions :/ I has the 400whp and I read it :)

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts

Only thing I can add is the HTA upgrade for my 3076r was $600, not $400. Everything else looks really well written and explained. Like someone else said though, people wont read this and will still ask the questions :/ I has the 400whp and I read it :)
I'm adding it to my word document of shortcuts, so every time I see the post I can link and tell them to search more. Forums can be tricky to navigate if you're new to the concept, but it's still annoying.

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts

I'm adding it to my word document of shortcuts, so every time I see the post I can link and tell them to search more. Forums can be tricky to navigate if you're new to the concept, but it's still annoying.
It's a sticky! They cannot miss this, no excuses!

·
Registered
13,089 Posts

What about a billiontity hp? 400hp is for teh suckas!

·
Registered
546 Posts

I have a question about this 400whp limit, and yes i read the first post entirely.

Why is it WHP that everyone mentions for the limit and not WTQ? It seems to me the highest chance of cracking a piston is at lower rpm (where max tq is) and the highest load. It seems the higher the rpm there is also a less chance of detonating. Can some knowledgable folks chime in and answer this?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

I have a question about this 400whp limit, and yes i read the first post entirely.

Why is it WHP that everyone mentions for the limit and not WTQ? It seems to me the highest chance of cracking a piston is at lower rpm (where max tq is) and the highest load. It seems the higher the rpm there is also a less chance of detonating. Can some knowledgable folks chime in and answer this?

Its because usually torque is what will kill your rods, and the STI has fairly tough rods stock, making the pistons the weak point. Pistons will likely give out to HP, which is why people say 400whp is the limit. The stock rods can(should) handle 400wtq.

In a nutshell HP kills pistons, torque kills rods, generally speaking; there are obviously exceptions to this though.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Having a piston that is 99.5mm in diameter sure doesn't help strength. Coupled with Subaru's choice in casting, makes for one weak piston design.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts

1bil / 400 = 2500000

Use the OP with an additional 2499999 turbos for 1 billiontity hp
Phew! Thanks! Math is hard, Barbie said so!

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I don't think its the size in and of itself, but rather the bore x stroke ratio that is important. More important IMHO, is the manufacturing processes and material selection that determine material strength.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts