IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Now that is is freaking cold weather (5 degrees F) I am starting to hear sounds from my STi when I start it up, only on startup, and only when it's less than 10-12 degrees....If it's any warmer than that, then the noise doesn't appear.

The sound only happens on the initial spinup of the engine (about a second) and sounds like those noise-makers at parties...you know the ones where it's a tube and there's a little spinning fan inside and it increases in pitch the harder you blow on it?

The sound disappears once the engine is fully running. I've tried turning the ignition to the ON position, letting the needle sweep finish and starting the engine, but that doesn't seem to help.

I'm runing synthetic, so I thought that may have something to do with it...just changed out about 3k miles ago (I have 16k on my car right now)

any ideas? is this normal?

any ideas about this? I'm brining it to the dealer tomorrow to replace my brake pads so I'll probably bring this up as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not really sure man. I have yet to hear that noise. I do not think it has to do with your switch over to synthetic.

Out of curiousity are the brakes pads covered under our warranty? When they do replace them do they use the current brake pads that we have? I was under the impression that wear and tear items are not under warranty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Brake pads are not covered under warranty.

How come they're replacing them? Wouldn't be because of a certain noise when you stop while going in reverse, would it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since they are not under warranty they will probably rip you off on the cost. Why not look into some aftermarket pads?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Couldn't it be the alternator's sound?

Talking about annoying rattles, yesterday, while installing my rear strut bar and removed the rear seat, I found 2 quarters and a nickel beneath it. Man, I wondered what an annoying sound came from the back :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a misubishi that would make this exact noise from a fan in the heating system when it was ice cold out... just for a few minutes when I started the car. Where does it sound like the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I repeat... "Do not throw change into the back of people's STi wishing you could have one!!!" :lol:

As for the noise it could just be the turbo spinning up. Can't really say why it's happening in extreme cold and not 5 degrees higher... weird.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't been able to pinpoint it at this point, since I'm usually in the car starting it, and I don't want to sit there starting and stopping the car to try to recreate the problem...:) I'll see what happens tomorrow morning, since it's projected for a high of 7 degrees. Yeah, I find it weird as well...I just didn't want it to be pistons scraping the engine block...

As far as the brake pads are concerned, that's what my dealer said...I've heard conflicting reports from various people on the board so YMMV. They're replacing them because I have like 1mm-2mm left on the pads at this point...

·
Registered
97 Posts
daghdha said:
I just didn't want it to be pistons scraping the engine block...
Rings scrape the cylinder walls all the time... :p

I doubt it's something like that. If you have any kids you might just want to check the intake. It might just be a kazoo stuck in there. :lol:

Also, don't rule out one of the belts. Could really be anything. I'd just get someone to start the car while you're under the hood watching and listening.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TL-racer/STi-driver said:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/warranty/middle.jsp

The pads should be covered under warranty until 3yr/36K.
no, no, no, no. read that again.the pads wearing out from use is NOT covered under the warranty. if you somehow BROKE a pad, that would be covered. if one of your calipers mysteriously split in two, THAT would be covered. worn out pads are normal wear and tear, and aren't covered, nor should they be. if the pads were warranty items, why wouldn't the tires, or the oil/air/fuel filters.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Can a hood scoop mesh reduce performance??

soa did replace my pads and rotors for free at 8700 miles. outside of rotors were fine but, the insides were toast. the pads were about 1/4 worn.

no idea on the noise though

ted

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is why it is under a special "wear item warranty" and not under just the normal manufacturs defect warranty type. Road and Track even got their long term test cars pads replaced under warranty and they even admitted to taking it auto-crossing for a weekend. Subaru is probably pretty nice to the magazines though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i think gas should be a warranty item. i mean... i go through gas so quickly... taht can't be normal...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the group buy still open?

well, it's -5 now, and I got the startup whine again. this time it lasted longer probably 2-3 seconds, and was in pitch with the RPMs. I checked the intake...no kazoo ;) since this only happens when the engine is cold, this is only in the morning (I park in a heated garage at work...thank the Lord) I couldn't rouse my roommates to help me out on this...bunch of delinquents...

Here's an observation. When I start the engine cold, my RPM's stay up around 2k when I depress my clutch. When I let go of the clutch, it drops down to the 1.5k RPM range, which is normal for the 'warmup' cycle...I found this interesting. I thought maybe it has something to do with the clutch, but even after the clutch was released, the sound was still there.

Yeah, I'm glad about the brakes being covered under warranty, since the couple hundred bucks it would be for pads now will go for pinks in the spring. :)

·
Banned
54 Posts
norcal-sti said:
TL-racer/STi-driver said:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/warranty/middle.jsp

The pads should be covered under warranty until 3yr/36K.
no, no, no, no. read that again.the pads wearing out from use is NOT covered under the warranty. if you somehow BROKE a pad, that would be covered. if one of your calipers mysteriously split in two, THAT would be covered. worn out pads are normal wear and tear, and aren't covered, nor should they be. if the pads were warranty items, why wouldn't the tires, or the oil/air/fuel filters.
NORCAL- No, you read it--

Below is a brief description of the Subaru Limited Warranty for 2004 model year Subaru vehicles that is provided to each buyer by Subaru at no additional charge. Your Subaru Dealer has complete details concerning the warranty and any exclusions and/or restrictions that may apply. Please visit your nearest Subaru Dealer for this further information. Click here for optional extended protection beyond the warranty.

When These Warranties Apply
These warranties are made by Subaru of America, Inc. (except in Hawaii) and apply only if the car was imported or distributed by Subaru of America, Inc. and sold to the first retail purchaser by an Authorized Subaru Dealer in the United States. Any and all repairs must be performed by an Authorized Subaru Dealer located in the United States. Every owner of the car during the warranty period shall be entitled to the benefits of these warranties. If the car is sold or otherwise transferred during the warranty period, it is recommended and requested that the new owner promptly send written notice of the transfer of ownership to:

Subaru of America, Inc.
Subaru Plaza
P.O. Box 6000
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Warranty Periods
Warranty coverage begins on the date the car is delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the car was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the car was first placed in such service.

What Is Covered
These warranties cover any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship reported during the applicable warranty period and which occur under normal use:

in any part of the 2004 model year Subaru

in any Genuine Subaru Optional Accessories installed on the car prior to delivery
Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty
This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship which occur under normal use in any Genuine Subaru Replacement Part or Accessory purchased after retail sale of the Subaru vehicle in which the part or accessory is installed.
* See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Wear Item Limited Warranty
Wear item coverage for all models is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades.
*See your Subaru Dealer for complete details."

New Car Limited Warranty
Basic coverage is three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the entire car.

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
Rust perforation coverage for all vehicles is five years regardless of mileage. Since all Subaru vehicles are built to resist corrosion, the use of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not necessary and is not a requirement for coverage under this warranty.

Powertrain Limited Warranty
Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and covers
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake manifold
Oil seals and gaskets
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Transaxle seals and gaskets

Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**

Propeller shaft

*See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

*Some restrictions apply. For complete Subaru Warranty information contact your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of Subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code.

**Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not coverable under warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. The belts are the culprit. It has been very cold here(Toronto) and the first time I heard the "noisemaker" squeal I wondered as well. After now hearing it every morning for the better part of a month, I can tell you...it's just the belts. As they get a little heat in them the noise goes away.

In other words...don't worry about it. :p

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I heard that wazoo sound today, it was like -3F. Lasted about half a second, and the car lurched forward a bit (I was in neutral). W3rd.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It is weird. Whenever I start the car when it is really cold and I pull it out of gear and then let the clutch out and the car seems like it lurches forward like it is still in gear for a moment. Is is slipping out of gear when this happens?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another Canadian here, and yeah, what youre hearing is normal. Those cold winter days always make the STi whine a little bit. The colder it gets, the more sounds it makes. Yesterday it was so cold that when I started it and let my foot off the clutch, the RPM dropped enough to stall it :lol: Have to feather the gas a little...the joys of winter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts