IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shopping at Circuit City and Best Buy over the weekend. All the people that I talked to were impressed as hell over the STi, but rolled their eyes at the speeker install problems. All the sales guys seemed to think that the install dudes can do anything, but with all the problems with fitting and depth you guys are having, I'm not sure I trust some 18 year old with a butter knife and a dremmel tool ripping appart the door of my new car. Plus that fact that some speakers need spacers, adapters, etc. that everyone here seems to use to Macguyver the speakers into place. Should I really be worried about all this since there is no way in hell I'm going to attemp to to install them on my own, or should I just assume that the BB or CC people know what they are doing. Thanks in advance.

For background, all I want is a basic HU, 6.5s + tweeters in the front, and some nice 4" in the rear doors. That's it, and hopefully around $500 total, $700 tops. Any suggestions to minimize the chances of a serious install problem? :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
noticed something about the wing

one suggestion....... avoid best buy installations. My family had a van that we took there to get a security system installed. It sucks and doesn't even work anymore. The brain is like falling out from under the dash and everything. Unless we were just unlucky, I will never trust best buy with one of my vehicles ever again.

·
Registered
858 Posts
first, try to avoid installing rear speakers unless you carry people back there almost every time. waste of $$$.

instead, invest it into a GREAT, if not, good 2 channel amp.

then think about a power subwoofer back there...

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I personally like some speakers in the rear to fill in the sound. I did not go all out compared to the front though. I just put a cheap pair in the rear deck. The fronts are the most important.

hayasa, it seems like you already stated a few reasons not to go to BB or CC for an install. Unless there is an older or more experienced person there that you know, I would not trust them with my precious. I did have a stereo installed in an old winter beater, 89 Subaru XT6, at CC a few years ago and really had no complaints. I had one problem with the sound and they fixed it no problem. One other thing is what you pay for an install at CC includes removing everything when you sell the car... at least it did when I had the work done. For major custom stuff though, I would never go to a place like that. If you are just doing direct bolt in then maybe it would be ok. It will have to be your call. BTW, with components I would highly recommend an amp.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far back as I sit, I think my head is closer to the rear speakers than the front. I would never suggest leaving out the rear speakers. Of course I am 6'7".

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used one of the better shops in town and they broke my arm rest extention{clasp MIA} and scratched the bejesus out of the plastic console piece that holds the stick boot. The difference in a good shop and a stereo mill is how they deal with problems. The answer that I received was a sincere apology and replacement of the damaged parts. They did a good install, made a few mistakes, admitted it, and fixed it. I would use them again.

I did the 6.5 component and 5.25 coax rear fill. I am 6' 2"' and I hear the rears quite clearly. They would be missed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did the install myself. Took a hell of a long time cause I've never had to take the door panels off or do all of the custom fitting that the sti required.

Got 6.5" clarion components in the front and mb quart 5.25"s in the rear - both running off of the HU. Will install a tube in the trunk with amp to fill in the bass - still trying to figure out the best way to mount the tube. Nothing too expensive

My advice is to read as many posts as you can to pick up all of the little hints for doing the installing well

·
Registered
4 Posts
funny thing is, I am one of those 18yr old kids that work at circuit city with the butter knife and the dremmel tool. What is really funny is that I installed the entire audio system in my sti myself and you can't. Yet you will come on a forum and take jabs at kids like me. I have actually done the install in two other sti's as well. I think a few of you older people have to realize that you don't have to be old to be experienced.
And before any of you ask, I payed for the car myself.

sorry to go off on a rant hee, but it is comments like those that really tick me off. My friend told me about this site and the first thing I see is this thread. So my first impression is that it is a bunch of middle aged people who think kids are incompetent and not good enough for them or their car.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, maturity comes flying in. Great first post.

All generalizations are.....yup, GENERAL!

There are some Fieros that didn't spark and light themselves on fire...but that's still what they are remembered for.

There have been 10s of shuttle missions launched successfully with great accomplishments, but everyone is sure the shuttle is old and a POS because it has failed now...twice.

Back down with the attitude. We would love to hear that you are a great installer...there are many of you/us. The fact you are doing what you enjoy and are good at....congrats.

All of this does not address the fact...yup FACT...that high volume places which turn cars out like crazy and pay their installers in measurements above minimum wage often do sub-par installation work. Alarms, stereos...you name it. I personally have had shoddy work done before and it will never happen again. Are you calling me a liar?

Congrats on being a great installer and working hard for your possessions as everyone should....your experience and 'rant' change nothing of the reputation behind companies such as the one you work for.

Taking such a statement personally....step one. Firing back....step two. Lashing out at us in a generalization (isn't this what pissed you off?? :roll:) that is horribly mistaken....step three. I see at least 3 steps you need to take towards maturity.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
quiksoob2002 said:
funny thing is, I am one of those 18yr old kids that work at circuit city with the butter knife and the dremmel tool. What is really funny is that I installed the entire audio system in my sti myself and you can't. Yet you will come on a forum and take jabs at kids like me. I have actually done the install in two other sti's as well. I think a few of you older people have to realize that you don't have to be old to be experienced.
And before any of you ask, I payed for the car myself.

sorry to go off on a rant hee, but it is comments like those that really tick me off. My friend told me about this site and the first thing I see is this thread. So my first impression is that it is a bunch of middle aged people who think kids are incompetent and not good enough for them or their car.
Keep in mind that people share their experiences so that others do not go through the same issues that they have. Not all installers at the low end audio shops are bad BUT I will use a local high-end shop to do my install. Why? Well, 4 people work there and they've all been there about 9 years. The installer is not a transient and has a lot of experience. That's what I personnaly look for.

Glad to see that you take pride in your work. You should. Don't get upset over someone's generalizations about your field. Just post supporting info from your point of view and take the higher ground. Welcome, and enjoy your STi and self-installed tunes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am sorry for that first post. It really was immature and I am embarrassed just reading it now. From the few comments I recieved back, I can see that my first impression of this site was maybe a little off. Lesser sites with lesser people would have responded in a "lesser" way. So thank you for that. I agree with you totally on the idea of not letting someone I know is totally capable touch my car. After all it is my baby and where most of my money and time goes.(thats the part my girlfriend really hates :lol: )

Just by taking a walk into one of these high volume places you can tell who is the good installer and who is not. The good one will be the one that doesn't get any actual work done because he is answering everyone elses questions all the time. Good luck to everyone with their installs.

On a side note, I just ordered new speakers again for my car. Stepped it up to the infinity kappa perfects this time. Should sound great. I'll let you all know when I get them put in.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Kinda a dumb question, but i need to know

I just would like to add to suggestions (based from personal experience) to stay away from places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Car Toys, etc. Changes are good that you'll have a poor install (not to mention that they'll take WAY too long) plus you'll get gouged on the price of the item and on the install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts