IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some talk about HID lights and I was wondering if anyone had any idea on whether it is an entire system or just a bulb replacement + interior switch.

I'll be getting the Canadian version of the STi which among other changes means I won't be getting the HID headlights. So would I be able to pick up an HID system from a US dealer and install it - or is this just way too hard?

[rant]I know there was some talk earlier about the legality of HIDs on certain vehicles in Canada but unless every cop car on the road has an up-to-date list of which cars can have'em and which can't then I cannot see this as an enforcable law.[/rant]

This is one option my US cousins will get that I will sorely miss.

Lars

·
Registered
59 Posts
HID systems work in a different way than normal bulbs, so you will have to expect to change the whole system out. There is a special kind of ballast and bulb system that is needed. The system works kind of like fluorescent bulb but on high-pressure gas rather than the low pressure found in normal bulbs. There are replacement kits for other cars that are at least advertised as being fairly easy to install but I have no experience with that. Anybody else have any clue here?
It's too bad the canadians dont get the HID's. I dont get it, especially when I read on another thread that when you take the conversion rate of the US Dollar Vs. the Canadian Dollar, that they are actually charging Canadian STi'ers more for the car. Its too bad because for me the HIDs are just one more thing about the car that just screams "quality".

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I did an HID retrofit on my Celica. You'll have to order a kit based on the proper size of the bulb, but the HID system will add ignitors for the bulbs between your current wiring harness and the new bulb. If that makes any sense......the stock bulb comes out, you run wires from the socket/harness to the ignitor, and then the ignitor runs a wire to the bulb.

It can be done....at what expense and with what bulb fitament issues, that is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Speaker size questions?

I dont understand why we dont get HIDs :(
we are paying a almost $8,000 more then US (after conversion)
DAMN YOU SUBARU...

and yes i know we get
-radio (gonna swap it)
-heated seats (my ass gets hot enough after 5min witht he heat on)
-trunk passthrough (have never ever used it in my current cars

that dosent add up to the price diffrence.
i want hid's damnit : (

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, after nearly a week with the car and several 'outings in the dark' after the kids were in bed I'm pretty happy with the non-HID lights. The low-beams are very passable and the high-beams seem very strong to me.

Now, that's just me and I have not driven a car with HIDs.

Lars

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh....I promise if you ever have a car with HIDs...you'll never go back. There is just no way to convince someone without letting them drive with the lights. Ya know those lights at the ball park....mount a few in the fog holes.... ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got some 3series BMW HID's custom fitted into my 5th gen prelude housing....trust me when I say that there's nothing better than HID's....problem tho, is that most people get those cheap ass HID kits :roll: those produce a lot of glare an don't put out as much light on the road :(

I thought that the STI has HID's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts