IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yazel's 2004 STI - Sponsored by Turn in Concepts​

My Sponsors:

Greg, Tony, Eric, Clint, and Kent have all been a huge help and the main reason I can get away with enjoying my car to the fullest! Without there help on parts, help on installs, and general knowledge I would not be where I am now. Thank you guys so much! I also can't forget to thank Brad for all of his help when he was still at the shop!

JRZ Suspension Engineering

JRZ Suspension have been so grateful to help me out with my racing endeavors. Bryan is an awesome guy and the customer service has been nothing but top notch since the first e-mail I sent out! Thanks guys! All of JRZ's products are available at Turn In Concepts and they have all of the resources to fully service all of JRZ's products as well.

Quick History:

I bought my STi in the spring of 2010 completely stock. I wanted the car to be as unabused as possible and wouldn't settle for anything less than a purely bone stock car, so it took awhile to find it. It was one of the super raw '04's with no floor mats or radio, but the previous owner ordered that stuff from the dealer after purchasing the car. I soon got bit by the autocross bug and fast forward one year I was starting to prep the car slowly for competition in STU after spending the year before learning to drive with the car completely stock.

The car has had some fairly good success in SCCA autocross and I plan to continue to develop the car into a more road course worthy track machine as the years go on and life allows me the opportunities to do so!

Below I have left a current mod list that encompasses the known modifications that will be seeing their way onto the car this year! Everything is up to date as of December 2014!

2004 Subaru WRX STi - Current modifications list for 2014​

Note:
Black - Installed Currently
Red - Soon to be installed with updates following
Green - Plan to purchase

Engine:
STU Tune (stock boost) by Johnson Tuning
3" Custom Catted Downpipe
APS 3" Catback
APS Split Pulse Equal Length Headers
Kartboy Exhaust Hangers
Kartboy Lightweight Crank Pulley
Deka Lightweight (10lb) Battery
Killer B Oil Pickup
TiC Engine Mounts

Driveline:
Group-N Tranny Mount
TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings
TiC Rear Diff Bushings (Race)
Kartboy Outrigger/Rear Diff Bushings (Race)
Kartboy Aluminum Pitch Stop
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Motul Gear 300 75w90 Tranny Fluid
Motul 90PA LSD Fluid

Suspension:
JRZ RS Pro Dampers w/race series sealed upper perches
Swift Main/Helper/Tender Springs
Ground Control Race top mounts front and rear
??? Front Sway Bar
Whiteline Rear 22mm Sway bar
Kartboy F/R STi Endlinks
TiC Lateral Link Bushings (Race Stiffness)
TiC Trailing Arm FORWARD Bushing (Race Stiffness)
TiC Trailing Arm REAR Bushing (Race Stiffness)
TiC Front Control Arm Rear Bushing (Race Stiffness)
Whiteline Plus Front Control Arm Forward Bushing (Race Stiffness)
Race Alignment

Wheels/Tires:
Enkei RPF1 - Race Setup (17x9.5 +38 Bright Silver)
949 Racing Locking Valve Stems (Silver)
BFGoodrich G-Force Rival (245/40R/17)
Stock Silver BBS - Winter Setup
Blizzaks - 225/45/17
Steel Open Ended Lugs
ARP Extended Wheel Studs (Front)

Brakes:
Centric Premium Rotors
Hawk HP+ Front/Rear Pads
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motul RBF600 Fluid

Interior:
Sparco Evo Driver Seat
Sparco Evo Passenger Seat
Sparco 4-point Harness Belts
Subaru OEM Radio Delete

Exterior:
Unknown Front Lip Spoiler (Comes off for National Events)
Wingless Trunk Lid

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Yazel's 2004 STi STU Build - Sponsored by Turn In Concepts

Contents: Photos, Videos, and Updates List​

Photos:

Videos:

2013 Peru Match Tour STU Class winning run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

The last points event of the year for me.

These are my and my codriver's fastest runs at the 2012 Subaru Challenge. He is first and I am second. I come in at about 0:42. I was FTD in PAX and 2nd raw at the end of the regular event and ended up 2nd overall during the PAX/SuperStar/Class Winner challenge at the end of the day against Andrew Pallotta (past STU national champ) in Bill Cook's STX prepped BRZ! Really fun day!

Updates List:

Announcement of JRZ Partnership for 2013
ZII's have arrived!
JRZ's and ZII's are on the car!
Fuel Filling Up Problems Cured! Fix Write-Up!
Video of Faulty Charcoal Canister

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I plan on linking my mods in the modifications list to Turn in Concept's website pages for those specific items when their new website is hosted. It will be very nice when it is finished!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yazel's 2004 STi STU Build - Sponsored by Turn In Concepts

Glad to hear things are going well with the car!! Whatever happened to the Ohlins??

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Well I got them and was super excited to get them cleaned up to put on the car, so I got a manual and actually took that one damper apart and ended up fixing it all up with new parts. But during the process of getting the new parts I had a couple shops I used to source parts advise me to try to get rid of them at a decent price because the parts I received were basically the last parts available in the country. Outside of basic rebuilds, Ohlins isn't producing replacement parts or offering any other services. So if I was to wreck or something and damage one of the dampers.. I would be stuck in high water!

Luckily Turn In Concepts offered me a good deal to test the new AST dampers a month or so after I got the Ohlins from you, which really encouraged me to give them up, as much as I hated to. The Ohlins went to a local guy for his swapped GC coupe build and I sourced as many replacement parts for them as I could which included two brand new rear dampers and all of that went to the new owner. They actually cleaned up very nice with minimal work!

Hope things are all good for you guys out in CO! I saw the weather out there on my phone this week and lets just say I am a little envious. :mad: :lol:

edit: Looks like my videos are showing up? Are they showing up for anyone else? I guess I'll work on that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

I think we bought the same car. I bought mine in spring of 2010 100% stock as well :lol: Awesome looking car, of course ;) I ran in STU for my first few events and kinda wish I had stuck with it and didn't upgrade the turbo. I can see all of my money being thrown in to my car now that I'm in SM :scurred: Let me know how you like those AST's. I was contemplating getting those over buying the RPF1's and R comps. Just gonna stick with my RCE blacks and koni yellows for now until I decide to start using the excuse,"If I had coilovers I would have had him!" :lol:

edit: to embed youtube vids you need the last part of the desktop link past the = sign wrapped in the youtube tags

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just gonna stick with my RCE blacks and koni yellows for now until I decide to start using the excuse,"If I had coilovers I would have had him!" :lol:
:lol: It will happen eventually!

That is awesome we have such a similar story... kind of odd really lol I will definitely be updating this with my review and lots of photos of the new AST's. And the Enkei's will fit perfect on that setup! What tires do you plan to use?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

edit: to embed youtube vids you need the last part of the desktop link past the = sign wrapped in the youtube tags
:bow::bow::bow:

Thank you!! Videos are fixed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

For now I'm gonna run 245/40 Hoosier A6's or Kumho V710's. The hoosiers are so damned expensive but offer a little more grip it seems. Are you planning on sticking to STU with this car?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

For now I'm gonna run 245/40 Hoosier A6's or Kumho V710's. The hoosiers are so damned expensive but offer a little more grip it seems. Are you planning on sticking to STU with this car?
That size sounds good for either tire, but I agree the hoosiers offer more grip and slightly less life. Just the opposite for the Khumo's. They don't call hoosiers the purple crack for nothing!

And yep, the car will continue to be an STU car this year. The plans after this year are definitely up in the air as I may be moving out of state for grad school. But anyways, for this year my co-driver and I plan to hit up as many of the closer national level events as we can. Tentative schedule now is the Wilmington Match Tour, Peru National Tour, Wilmington National Tour, and the Toledo Pro Solo! Maybe more if we find the time between school and work!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I am not and I always beat myself up after test n tunes and fun events for not trying it out. I have practiced my braking a lot and learned a technique that requires a very odd/smooth pressure input to keep the car from diving too much heading into corners. But that was with the fixed perch strut/low spring rate lowering spring combo.

The new damper/spring combo should help to take care of the diving problems the car had previously. The car would dive pretty horrifically even just going from WOT to off throttle with the previous setup. But that is not to say the previous setup wasn't GREAT for what it was (Dspecs/RCE Yellows).

I need to practice left foot braking this year. I do it on the street all the time, but I always forget when I am in the seat ready to take a run at events.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have had a few instances where the pedal fell surprisingly far to the floor before anything happened (which is what I am thinking you are referring to as a knockback situation). This was before the Motul Fluid and Stainless lines though. Yet I don't know if changing the lines and fluid are supposed to help with knockback directly. It has never been a worry of mine as I only experienced it a few times a year.

The knockback hasn't returned much if at all honestly, not that I can remember specifically.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Lucky! I got pretty bad knockback at the autocross. I had to tap the brakes with the left foot to get some pressure on the pads. It was annoying at first, but I'm glad that it forced me to learn. I now have a great appreciation for anyone that auto-x or track an 04 STi.

Nice build BTW!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Lucky! I got pretty bad knockback at the autocross. I had to tap the brakes with the left foot to get some pressure on the pads. It was annoying at first, but I'm glad that it forced me to learn. I now have a great appreciation for anyone that auto-x or track an 04 STi.

Nice build BTW!!
Interesting... kind of glad it hasn't been a problem for me :lol:

And thanks! Here in the next few months I should have some good photos posted of the new dampers and various other stuff going onto the car as well as reviews!

·
Registered
625 Posts

With the 04 you'll get knockback eventually. Ketchup bought my old car after 4-5 yrs. of axing.
The knockback taught me how to left foot brake as well.

Left foot braking is so ingrained that I automatically do it even in my GR. It can really help smooth the transition from braking to throttle as both feet are already on both pedals. It does take some forethought when/if you need to downshift as you'll have to return to right foot heel toeing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yea I can see how left foot braking is very functional and beneficial. But like how you said you are ingrained with left foot, I haven't yet had the time to break the habit of my left foot being stuck on the dead pedal lol I plan to try it out this year, although I am okay with right foot braking for now.

Also with the car sitting at 99,500 miles as of today and it is still not experiencing very much knockback if at all. That is even after 2.5 years of racing every other weekend at a minimum in the warmer months. I don't foresee it being a problem :lol: (dang that was one long run on sentence)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

I had the pedal go to the floor (or so it seemed) once while auto crossing at my first event in the sti. It hasn't happened since and that's about 48 runs later since I have a co-driver. What's happening exactly when this pad knock back occurs? I've never heard of it

1 - 20 of 371 Posts