IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gettin' old

yay, i got my blitz sus in, the silencer remover is a pain in the ass considering u have to jack the car up, remove the black fender plastic, remove the sti fog light cover for that screw, but hell it sounds nice
the stock blow off valve makes that star wars toy laser beam sound, i still prefer BOVs sounds tho, which i will put in later when i have a turbo gauge so i can write down the max boost the car can achieve in all gears

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Let us know if/when you get the low end power losses everyone else is experiencing.

And actually the resonator.....just crank the wheels to the right and pull the front lower part of the wheel well housing down. Falls right out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wall Street Journal - 8/8 - STi is featured in Drive Buys

I just put mine in two days ago.
I too am noticing that it seems to be lacking down low. I'm not even sure if its better or the same up top compared to the stock airbox.

I figure I'll give it a week for the ecu to learn and draw my conclusions from there.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
on vacation

Don't expect much...it's becoming pretty common knowledge that no intakes are working well without some kind of ECU work. The best option at this time appears to be using the stock box with the snorkus/resonator removed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i personally thinks it's the sound
u get more sound gain than more speed gain
that's why u felt slower
just like hondas with exhaust

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actualy we found gains from 2000-7000 RPM with the SUS on the dyno. WIth the downpipe it REALLY makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but does the stock ECU figured out how to balance the AF ratio with the intake or intake+downpipe?

coz the blow off valve made it kinda weird, does ran a bit rich right after shifts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You're getting those gains with boost and fuel control though, aren't you Guru?

I'll clarify.....an intake without some kind of tuning is giving people issues to the point they are uninstalling them (see Hummer, etc)

·
Registered
759 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
You're getting those gains with boost and fuel control though, aren't you Guru?

I'll clarify.....an intake without some kind of tuning is giving people issues to the point they are uninstalling them (see Hummer, etc)
I had the Perrin short ram and I was loosing power low and high. The hacked airbox works much better. Like Rob said......it only takes a few minutes. You only need to remove one screw from the fender cover and have the wheels turned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too ended up taking mine out. With the stock airbox back in place, it seemed better than with the SUS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have no other mods...
I wasn't expecting any really big gains, but what I felt I was getting was degraded performance.

Low end power seemed more lacking than normal after installing this filter.

stiperformance said:
wrxnewbfan said:
I too ended up taking mine out. With the stock airbox back in place, it seemed better than with the SUS.
What other mods do you have? I think the intake will provide a gain if you have other mods like a full turbo back system.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
comparison

Quote from 'Import Tuner' Sept Issue Article titled Four Days of STI Stimulation. "We bolted on RSR downpipe and exhaust for a quick pull on the dyne. The car jumped up to 256.0 horses and 292.1 torque. That's a 6.5 horsepower gain and 7.1 lbs or torque. We were able to make 15 to 25 horsepower from 5700 59 6500rpm.
Since we didn't have an after market intake on hand,we decided to see what would happen by removing the filter completely. It turns out the computer (or mass air air meter) doesn't like the additional airflow. We ended up losing 8 horsepower. Once again this all comes down to programing the factory computer. If we are lucky, then the ECU can be flash ROM like the older model." There you go.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I went from stock airbox (no resonator) to the SUS and gained huge power. Over 10 whp easily. THat is with downpipe. The STI gains huge power form the intake unlike the regular WRX. The AF mixtures got a tad leaner BUT they are consistent. In other words, no wierd anomolies or spiking like some of the cold air intakes. NO idea on the Perrin since I do not sell it but I have not found another intake that does better than the SUS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
modifications and ECU

sucks with the SUS or i dunno what causes it to happen
but i hear the wastegate flutters a lot

probably because of the resonance of the hole next to the SUS
should i duct tape both holes and take the snorkel out?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Running rich means incomplete combustion which means black exhaust smoke. Usually there is not enough to see in your rear-view mirror, though someone behind you may be able to tell. Both rich and lean conditions are suboptimal, and you will not be generating as much power as you should, but seat-of-the-pants might not be the best way to evaluate that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that wastegate sound is there whenever the silencer box is not there
it's super annoying

1 - 20 of 21 Posts