IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2089 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *PRETT IN PINK!!!

I started installing the coilovers and roll-center/bumpsteer correction kit and realized I couldn't get the conical bushing off the old ball joint without damage. I ordered them from the dealership and received them yesterday. I've only got one corner done, but will finish the rest of the install tonight.

Lots of anti-seize is my friend! I'm glad this car doesn't see winters. I'm still irritated by running over water used to cut concrete roads last summer... You can still see that powdered concrete under my car and on the exhaust. Thankfully, it wipes right off.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *PRETTY IN PINK!!!

Today I was lucky enough to experience the dreaded stripped caliper. I was hoping it wouldn't happen on a garaged car, never driven in winter with 29k miles, but when I went to break the bolts loose on the final front coilover/roll-center/bumpsteer correction kit today, it happened. I sprayed Liquid Wrench and let it sit for a couple days, and then hit it again about 20 minutes before trying to losen the bolt.

Now I'm looking for a good machine shop to drill, tap and insert a helicoil or Time-Sert. I'm an anal bastard, so I'm a bit worried considering I haven't had to use a machine shop since leaving Denver. F00k mi.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *REALLY SUBARU? NO FRIGGIN ANTI-SIEZE?!!

Still waiting on my Heli-Coils to come in, but got some other new 'toys' in the mail that I'll install in the next few days. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Re: yamahaSHO's street build! *MOAR parts from TiC!

Looking good. How do you like the KW V1s with the whiteline RCAs?
I have a similar setup that I just had installed (RCE T2s , Group N tophats, and white line RCA) and love it.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

The car is still on jack stands due to a caliper stripping out. I'll be fixing that tomorrow and then I can give the KW's a test drive.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I cant seem to remember in your Journal if you did the 20g instillation as of yet or still on the work bench.?

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Nope, it's not installed yet. I'm taking it in steps. I got the caliper fixed yesterday, so I'm going to finish up the front and move to the back. After suspension, I'll move on to fuel needs, then the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

I just got my rotors turned yesterday and I'm having a tough time deciding on pads. I originally was going to go with Hawk HP+ as I run them on my SHO and they're great (but not noisey on that car), but on these brakes, I've read they are loud and dust a lot.

Currently, I am trying to decide between StopTech Street Performance and StopTech PosiQuiet pads. The PQ's peak my intereset ONLY because I'm tried of bronze wheels (stock gold wheels) up front. The problem is, I like knowing that when I get on the brakes, they're going to be there; bite hard and take heat. This is where the SP's come in, they seem like a 'decent' balance.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,832 Posts

I have heard the StopTech PosiQuiet are loud. No first hand experience and that is all I have to contribute lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

posiquiets- i run them. no noise, no bite, hardly any dust :)
The "no bite" will probably annoy the crap out of me. I've used good pads on crap rotors before and it was greasy when slamming on them from 80mph +. I think I'll research the SP's a little more. THANKS for your input!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

No problem. Wouldnt want you get a set of pads and expect something from it which doesn't exist :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Just purchased a set (F/R) StopTech Street Performance Pads. These will be with used with resurfaced stock rotors. Hopefully it's a decent match! When I start tracking this car, I'll buy track pads.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

I wish I had some new progress on the car, but I've been too busy working on one of my other projects.

And the room next to it....

It all started out like this:

41 - 60 of 2089 Posts