IW STi Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2094 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
With the nice weather, I've taken the car out two days in a row to go explore the mountain roads. I've since put on a new map with more boost, targeting 25 PSI in Denver and 27 in Omaha (9xx ft ASL).

My mounting of my GoPro wasn't as good as I had hoped...

I also spent the rest of the day outside, with the garage doors open and cleaning up the garage. Can't wait until we put a paved driveway in...

And this is tomorrows project.

Awesome scenery. I love when it's pleasant enough outside to need neither heat nor AC. What's this "garage" thing of which you speak, though?

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,022 (Edited)
Re: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!

Kevin and I hit the track today... I think he sees why I want to tune his car on the dyno so much because my EFR6758 was just a touch faster than his 7163... Plus gearing differences and after pulling on the scales, I was about 300 lbs lighter (driver + car).

It was a drag and roll race day. I made 3 drag passes and 4 roll races. Right before I left to do my first pass, a guy came up and asked if I had any spare axles. He had a closed deck build doing 500+ at the wheels, but it really wasn't much faster. I was also running 2 degrees less timing, and then for the last couple roll races, just 1 degree pulled.

My first pass, no launch control, not slamming gears: 13.4 @ 108

These are the 2 passes between me and Kevin. On the first race, I had launch control too low and it bogged, then I missed 5th gear... While Kevin was learning how to drive :) I saw the ET and headed right back to the staging lanes. This time, I raised the launch control RPM and made sure I did not miss 5th gear. Kevin decided to get on it too... He tree'd me, but I ran a faster time. His 12.984 @ 109.84 to my 12.478 @ 111.97

DA at Bandimere was 8,700 ft.

My best trap speed during roll racing was 115mph after I had added some timing. I am pretty sure I can turn this up to run in the 11's up here... Overall, I was pretty happy since I suck at drag racing.

Some roll racing against a 500whp 1991 Taurus SHO. Drag racing wasn't even close between us, but roll racing was good. I did not brake boost on him as he has a Vortech blower which don't make power down low.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

At what speed did you you guys take off at on the roll race? Is there a set speed for roll racing or is it more like when you just pass the tree and then take off? Just curious lol

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,024
Generally, it’s a 40 roll and you WOT at the normal starting line. Kevin and I did a 30 roll once and it was when we matched 112mph traps.

I turned the power up a touch on both cars in the day, but 40 rolls should give a pretty close trap speed as just running a drag race.

When we get Kevin’s car on a dyno, it will be faster than my car.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Damn, that looks fun. Lookin' quick man, AND that's at elevation. Impressive. Glad you're getting out there and keeping(using) the car.

·
Registered
955 Posts

I like 30 rolls due to our short gearing. I think at 40 mph I'm around 4500 RPMs in 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,027

I started in 3rd gear when we did the 40 roll, second with the 30 roll.

Looks like I am going to try a 4-port EBCS. I like my current WG spring of 12ish PSI, so I think a 4-port will allow me to make more boost off a lower spring like that. I was basically maxing out my WGDC at the strip, which is why I could not hit target boost.

Yes, I missed 5th gear in that run and had too low of a launch control.

Between than and finally getting Kevin on a dyno, we will probably both run 11's up here at this altitude. I ain't mad...

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,030

I kinda have the bug to run an 11-second time at Bandimere. I don't care if it is 11.999, I built this car to be an 11-second street car (reference the first page from 10 years ago... 11's aren't as "fast" anymore!), which I think it is at sea level.

I'll get this in and tuned and go on a cool night and see what happens. Kevin and will put our cars on the dyno in two weeks to tune them. I want to see where timing fits at this load/baro, which will help me apply to other people's maps since I've got good tuning experience at high and low altitude. My motor has not blown yet, so I have to be doing alright as I exercise it every time I drive it!

·
Registered
723 Posts

I kinda have the bug to run an 11-second time at Bandimere. I don't care if it is 11.999, I built this car to be an 11-second street car (reference the first page from 10 years ago... 11's aren't as "fast" anymore!), which I think it is at sea level.

Image Link

I'll get this in and tuned and go on a cool night and see what happens. Kevin and will put our cars on the dyno in two weeks to tune them. I want to see where timing fits at this load/baro, which will help me apply to other people's maps since I've got good tuning experience at high and low altitude. My motor has not blown yet, so I have to be doing alright as I exercise it every time I drive it!
What is that in the picture?

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,035

Kevin and I went to the dyno yesterday. He wanted to finally bump the power and I wanted to check my tune, which I did in a dyno in Omaha, up at high altitude. I tried some things, but the map I made on the last dyno is what I went back to. My 6758 falls off up top, way up here. It did not help that it was a 90+ degree day. From what I've read, this DYNOmite reads 11-14% lower than a DynoJet, so I am happy with the numbers.

Kevin should be faster than me now. He made a good bit more power than me with his 7163. I ran out of WGDC on his car trying to hold 29 PSI. I believe hell be doing a 4-port now.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,036 (Edited)
Re: yamahaSHO's Street Car - NEW dyno numbers!

What a weekend... Zach, with The Blue Turd drove from Atlanta to Denver to come hang out and run the SHO at Street Car Takeover, still trying for 9's. Zach and I did some test passes on the roll races to see how it would behave up here. From a roll, the big turbo in the SHO didn't spool to well in 2nd gear. He then hit 3rd and boost came on hard and then he screamed by me and let off after hitting boost cut (we removed the second boost target map on the car... Don't know why, and it targeted 34 PSI and our boost cut was 26... Easy fix).

For the first drag pass, Zach said he wanted to run the 9 on the first pass and wanted me to turn it up. We ran 22 PSI, climbing to 24 PSI after 6,500 RPM (we made 830whp at 20 PSI). He got a decent launch with a 1.5 60', but we did not anticipate the clutch slipping... OVER HALF OF THE TRACK.

Next pass was the first round. It had rained for 2 hours and they had to dry an prep the track. It also dropped 40 degrees, so we weren't sure how well the car would hook up. We ended up bogging a 1.8 60'. I had also turned down the boost to salvage a pass with the clutch, running 15 PSI ramping to 17 PSI. After the bad launch, the car screamed to his person best trap speed, at BANDIMERE, no less (I think it was still 8,200 DA).

We found a bearing starting to eat itself, so we put the car on the trailer to salvage the motor for another time. Zach was half tempted to throw thick oil in and go get the 9, but instead, he's got a better clutch coming and will swap bearings if all is okay, and take the car to Indy for Street Car Takeover in a couple weeks.

My car performed consistently hitting high 114mph trap speeds, even as the temps rose well into the 90's. I do look forward to installing the 4-port and going back to the track!

500whp SHO, my STi, and The Blue Turd

Kevin (Leemanfor) came out and although he ran faster than he previously did, he will need to run the second port on his EWG as he still could not hold boost on the track.

We got home at around 1:30 in the morning, unloaded my car and parked everything so that we could leave at 3:45 for the airport, where we spent a few days in Vegas. So much lost sleep, but such a fun time! Street Car Takeover was a shit show again... The gates opened at least an hour after they were supposed to. I didn't get in until TWO FUCKING HOURS after the gates were supposed to open and my class was already running before I got the car off the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,037 (Edited)
Re: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Racing at Street Car Takeover Denver!

A few more races...

Me vs... I can't remember. A loud G8 that I expected more from. I am the pace car since I am on the left, so him starting behind was his fault, but the trap speeds don't lie.

Kevin vs a turbo S2000. He barely lost and would likely have beat him if he was able to hit boost.

Me and The Blue Turd

Me vs a Cobra...

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Good stuff and looked like fun.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

These posts make me want an EFR Turbo but dam the price of entry is high due to be being JDM Twinscroll

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,040 (Edited)

I don't think you'll regret an EFR. For street and track, the response awesome. I get that comment every time I take someone for a ride through the mountains up here.

2021 - 2040 of 2094 Posts