IW STi Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2089 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Re: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!

where to start?

- a divorce from wife#4

- a second major spine surgery

- a total knee replacement

- two cataract surgeries

- a 20yo girlfriend

- a 23yo girlfriend

and my current 19yo girlfriend

my sti racecar needs an engine. we were planning an h6. that engine was not forthcoming and (this is news) I'm likely selling or parting out the racecar and maybe the trailer. haven't made up my mind.

meanwhile, the gtr is at Baker performance for an interior freshening, a new long block and another 400hp. we did a complete rebuild of the transmission with a ppg gearset last year.

I'm so lazy and tired from my gf's relentless sexual demands that I'll probably repost this update on my build thread. lol (i crack myself up)

Jesus Christ Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,002

Car already has a PERRIN inlet on it. It’s a blouch 20g XT-R, AEM 320 fuel pump, 1050x injectors, aeromotive FPR, Mishimoto FMIC/Intake, COBB catted DP, and a built motor with Manley H-Tuff Piston/Rods, and a ACT HD clutch.

So yea, really just needs a flexfuel kit/V3/proper tune and it’s good IMO.

You're going to want a bigger fuel pump and bump the pressure, or get bigger injectors for a 20G-XT-R on corn.

I have a customer on a 20G XT with E85 and 23-24 PSI running ID1000's with about 50 PSI base pressure (can't recall the pump, probably a 320) and we've gotten it to 126% IDC. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts

You're going to want a bigger fuel pump and bump the pressure, or get bigger injectors for a 20G-XT-R on corn.

I have a customer on a 20G XT with E85 and 23-24 PSI running ID1000's with about 50 PSI base pressure (can't recall the pump, probably a 320) and we've gotten it to 126% IDC. :)

Image Link

Image Link

I’ve heard the 1050x’s were a way better injector than the 1000cc’s. I can definitely do a bigger pump, are there clip in AEM340’s? Don’t really wanna destroy this fuel pump housing for a Walbro 450. But injectors are probably gonna stay cause I don’t really want to drop $900 on 1300cc for an extra 20-30whp(maybe).

Gonna have to do a little research about that. Either way. It’s very close for the jazjuice(nohomo).

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,004

Lol. The ID1050's are a much better injector, but they are marginally bigger. I've got a set of them in my S2000 and ID1300's in the STi.

For a street car, I don't have a problem pushing injectors past 100%, since it's not actually static and probably closer to 80% of what the injector can do.

Kevin ended up doing the Radium drop-in, which I think helps with surge... Haven't looked at the design in awhile. It also give you a bigger jet pump, which is something I swapped (Radium jet pump) into my car.

·
Registered
907 Posts
yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!

Lol. The ID1050's are a much better injector, but they are marginally bigger. I've got a set of them in my S2000 and ID1300's in the STi.

For a street car, I don't have a problem pushing injectors past 100%, since it's not actually static and probably closer to 80% of what the injector can do.

Kevin ended up doing the Radium drop-in, which I think helps with surge... Haven't looked at the design in awhile. It also give you a bigger jet pump, which is something I swapped (Radium jet pump) into my car.

Yea, I know I wasn’t touching the fuel system at all in the white STI, it was a ID1300/Walbro 450/flexfuel combo. I’m ok with that being the limiting factor in this situation cause I’m still gonna be in the 400whp range.

I’ve seen 400whp 20g STI’s at altitude on a Mustang Dyno, so I’m sea level now. I’m sure it’ll be good.

Also, my problem is, I’m not trying to ball out on parts. Haha, so little things I’m good with. Just not trying to break the bank again. It doesn’t need it currently. Just trying to have a fun DD again.

Also, pretty positive i still have a 450 laying around from last year when I thought my pump died and I snagged that bulk head fitting from you. So that’ll save me some money if I go that route.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,006

Mustang dynos... They're all over the place.

You can get plenty of fun out of that setup. And I can see just how far that fuel system will actually go. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts

Mustang dynos... They're all over the place.

You can get plenty of fun out of that setup. And I can see just how far that fuel system will actually go. :)

I mean, for credibility, my sti made 417/427 on E50 on the same dyno my friends 20g STI made 405whp on E. And my STI ran high 11’s at DA4500 on a shiiiitty track.

Also my car was about 2-3 bike lengths behind tuned 600cc R6’s from 30-100mph. So pleeently fast for SF. Hahaha

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,009 (Edited)

I found the source of my oil leak... I determined it was the fitting the last time I tried to fix it. I replaced it with another fitting, steel vs the aluminum one provided by Full-Race. Both where too long for the flare to seal up on the stock end. I picked up a Blouch oil line with adapter, and used just the adapter as it was clearly a proper fit.

Nice to not smell burning oil when it's nice and hot, anymore.

This may have been more apparent to me if I could actually see in there. :)

I'm glad I utilize map notes as when I went to preload my IWG spring, I could not remember exactly what it was prior. What was set in my head, was not what I posted here. My memory was correct at +7mm preload and I went and took it for a test spin at 9,000 ft ASL and I got it right. I do think I will add another +1mm tonight. It is following target well, as well as my altitude correction. I command ~23 PSI up here, ~26 PSI near sea level (both tested).

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,010

Got lined up for a private track day at Bandimere to do some drag and roll racing. Both me and Leemanfor will be out there to see what the cars do. I am going to go with no expectations as I can't drag race worth a shit and I'm not sure what it will trap.

I also have a SHO coming out that I previously made 500whp on with a stock long block. He swapped in some ID1300's to replace the ID1000's as he was right at the limit, so I have to dial them in prior to the event. I've not run these injectors on a SHO, so I can't just throw in some number and go... And their software is a bit different.

On another note, my avatar has changed... :D

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts

Congrats of sorts . . . :) :) it will be a benefit regardless.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,012

Congrats of sorts . . . :) :) it will be a benefit regardless.
Don't worry, I won't lock your maps. :) It is very helpful to have one software for all the Subaru's I work with vs having the owner get their copy of ATR.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,013

My 45 minute drive today cruising from my house (7,800ft) to about 9,000 ft above sea level was pretty fun. I have been doing some fine tuning of compensation tables for MAF and boost and I'm pretty happy with how the car is behaving.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,014

I have never been very happy with how I had my AOS being vented back into the intake, in any version I had. My first setup, I had the hose Y'd to two ports on the turbo inlet, just to keep up the volume, but it was a mess. When I did the new turbo setup, I tried to clean it up and use one hose, but that required me to reduce the 5/8" hose to something smaller to fit on the inlet. I don't think this kept up as I had some oil seeping out of the cartridge of the turbo. I could also never feel any vacuum on the hose when I disconnected it while the car was running (didn't even change how the car ran with that vacuum leak).

That said, I took my intake off and had a buddy weld up a port in it to not only keep the size of the hose consistent, but actually create some vacuum on the AOS itself. I need to finish taking the powder coat off and repaint it, but here's what I got.

Design is similar to what you would find in a PCV exhaust dump setup (I also did this on my S2000... I should test the flow on it too).

I was curious on how well it would draw some flow from the port, so I blew into the intake and put my finger in the port, and with it wet, I could feel air being pulled in at just the low flow of my breath. I took it a step further and used my air compressor to test...

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015 (Edited)

So this seems to work well... At WOT, my AFR has leaned out by .6. Dipstick is nice and tightly sealed, and no more oil smells. The inlet was ineffective as I could not feel any vacuum/airflow when disconnected at idle. This new setup does have vacuum/airflow at idle and appears to really work once the turbo/motor starts pulling air through the intake.

I would be curious to put a gauge on the crankcase an see if it goes into negative pressure.

Everything else is tracking good at altitude though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

I miss the Cobb Brotuner picture

Kinda impressive how much of a change that makes

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,017

I miss the Cobb Brotuner picture

Kinda impressive how much of a change that makes
I could always change it back. :)

I took the car out to test some of the changes I made (AOS vent, +1 more mm of IWG preload, adjusted the map to bring AFR back in check). The power the car makes after the dyno tuning is noticeable, and I wasn't unhappy with the power before that.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Congrats on everything! I also liked the BroTuner pic :D

I bet the car feels better for sure. I want that ride in July :)

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,019

Congrats on everything! I also liked the BroTuner pic :D

I bet the car feels better for sure. I want that ride in July :)
That is coming up pretty quickly, huh? Trying to get Brandon out here too... Zach should definitely be out, hopefully the SHO is put back together. He upgraded the turbo again, as well as the intake manifold, cams, and coils. It should do 1,000whp soon!

I sat down to do a few different maps for cars the other night and decided to make one for myself, with more boost! :) One of the cars I am working on now is a GT-R, which is exciting. The software (Cobb) seems easier to me than the Subaru stuff and they have a few cool features... Like 9 on-the-fly maps! After a couple days, he ordered ID1300x2's, and fuel pumps to go E85. I will start him out on an E85-only map (actually, progressive with the on-the-fly maps), but hope for him to put in a FlexFuel sensor soon.

Upping my banner game. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020

With the nice weather, I've taken the car out two days in a row to go explore the mountain roads. I've since put on a new map with more boost, targeting 25 PSI in Denver and 27 in Omaha (9xx ft ASL).

My mounting of my GoPro wasn't as good as I had hoped...

I also spent the rest of the day outside, with the garage doors open and cleaning up the garage. Can't wait until we put a paved driveway in...

And this is tomorrows project.

2001 - 2020 of 2089 Posts