IW STi Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,101
Nice! I dread cutting my hood.

I did take the car out for about a 30 min cruise through my area... Most of it was driving like you see here. Currently on spring pressure, it's about 5-5.5 PSI tapering to 3.4-4 PSI and it's fun! And that's with quite a bit of timing removed (waiting to get it on the dyno) and 8k+ft ASL!

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Yeah its pretty nerve-racking cutting in, the initial cut is the worst. Try not to put too much heat into the paint, I had some issues with the paint coming up right at the edges.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Yes, also a dremel for the smaller stuff. If I had to do it all over again, I might try to do it all with the dremel. Theres just better control and smaller mistakes with a smaller cutting wheel. It will take longer and eat through a ton of dremel cutting wheels though. I also used a hole-saw drill bit to get nice arcs in the corners.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Haha I was joking about how fast that little scooter pit bike is.

Can't imagine the nerves having to cut a perfectly good part. Are you going to apply a bunch of painter's tape and draw out the template to cut through or what? I agree the dremel might be the best bet for precision, it will definitely cost more / waste more wheels but particularly if you have the dremel extension you can almost hold it like a pencil and have a ton of control since you aren't fighting all that weight and the gyroscopic effect. I could see it burning the paint so I would definitely keep the wheels changed out and be careful about what speed you select. Hopefully there's a small lip to the vents that you bought that would conceal slight imperfections at the edges? The s2000 looks great, I bet that thing is a blast as small and light as it is.

I did struts (and a few control arms) on my wife's car, I guess I should be relieved I only had to fight three frozen fasteners, but I don't want to see a reciprocating saw, dremel, or an angle grinder for a while :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,106
Sorry, I wasn't following since any pit bike wouldn't have been ours. :)

I will start with the angle grinder. It does pretty quick work. The vents will cover a lot of potential damage. Honda S2000 Fender Vents

I got tired of the dirt/dust that settled on the car, so I took my power washer to it. I also cleaned out the interior as I had a window left open the whole time it sat as well. It still cleans up nicely! I am ordering a seat mount and will order a Recaro Pole Position for the passenger. The SPG, which I have on the driver's side is what I would like to put in, but then lots of people can't ride with me as it is extremely snug. My wife asked me how I fit in the seat after I asked her to pump the brakes for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,107
Got the hood out of the basement and cut it up last night. I placed the vents on and one conforms to the hood a lot better than the other. TrackSpec is sending me out a new one, but prior to install, I am touching up rock chips and a quick buff prior to wrapping it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Really thats good to know, I want to turbo mine and besides the obvious reasons for wanting a turbo on it, another reason is people have told me in the past that turbo kits seem to reduce the drone. Congratlations on getting it drivng! Is that the SOS V-Mount?

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,113
You're doing vinyl wrap? What color
I originally bought an Anthracite color, but it's too dark for me. I just picked up some Smurf Blue, which will be here in a week or so. I almost did red, but with the blue interior, I figured I'd keep it blue.

Really thats good to know, I want to turbo mine and besides the obvious reasons for wanting a turbo on it, another reason is people have told me in the past that turbo kits seem to reduce the drone. Congratlations on getting it drivng! Is that the SOS V-Mount?
Yeah, these cars definitely drone with an exhaust. When NA, my car was louder with the top up. I used to have an HKS single exhaust, which had a muffler and resonator. I would have kept it if I didn't damage it. Now I have a custom exhaust with a single Borla XR-1 muffler and the turbo.

Yes, that is an SOS V-mount.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,114
Got the S2000 on the dyno today and all went well. I made exactly the power I was wanting. My track tune is 8 PSI and ~380whp. I did push it up to 10 PSI to see what it would do, but it did fall off towards the top. I might have been able to preload the IWG actuator a little more (I have 7-8mm now... the recommended 2mm has never worked for me on any car) and it could be partially due to altitude and it starting to lose some steam up there. I will have some graphs emailed to me tomorrow... They'll be my track tune, 10 PSI tune, overlaid with the NA AP1 we had on today, and overlaid my STi graph.

For now, this is what I have:

Log from that pull:

I didn't take any video, but the shop did take video and interviewed me, so when that is released, I'll post it here.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,115
I had the graphs sent to me today.
10 PSI tapering to 8ish:

8 PSI flat, track tune:

Compared to my STi that had an EFR 6758:

Vs NA AP1 (intake and exhaust):

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,118
It seems I am rarely on forums anymore these days... I'm staying pretty busy! One the plus, I am pretty much retired from the military now. Officially, it will be Jan, but I don't have to put in any more points for retirement. I've been doing more and more tuning, taking on all kinds of makes, models, one-off's, etc. I've even started tuning Polaris UTV's, because I picked some up to play with. I bought a RZR 900 S for myself/wife and an Ace 570 for my daughter after she outgrew here Ace 150 in about 6 months. I specifically opted not to go with a turbo as I know what would happen, and I'd rather just be on trails.

https://www.youtube.com/v/N6kNtwlEM-8

I don't think I ever posted it, but we did have another 1320 Video feature with the Taurus.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5BeA9tWbgE8

I had another pretty blue GD on the dyno a couple weeks back. I look forward to when I get the go ahead to give it more boost!

I also had a good buddy of mine finally ask me to tune his turbo S2000 track car. I love how easy these are to make power with. My 10 PSI dyno overlaid his 14ish PSI dyno with similar sized turbos.

I am actually taking my S2000 to the owner of the above S2000 to have some nice bolt-in heat shielding fab'd up and the plan is to get it on track soon. But, since the last time I posted it, it got a few things:

Passenger seat:

Removable steering wheel:

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,119
Finally, I have been up to some quarantine work. I always hated the high mantel in my house and wanted to redo the fire place. So... I built a mantel that is also a center channel speaker.

Size comparison, for any that know what a Klipsch La Scala is:

And this is where I am currently at...

I also started finishing my garage speakers, which will go in the shop when it is up (almost ready to start building... Long story, but it's been a pain). These are a set of 1982 Klipsch Heresy 1 speakers. I am also upgrading all the drivers and redoing the crossover onto a smaller board and new capacitors.

Before... They had never been finished.

Current progress:

Original crossover that someone hacked some capacitors into.

My new boards with better capacitors... Still have to solder:

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Nice work!

Find some air cores (or make em ! :) ) like the ones in your mantel - yes the existing E-core might be high value - air core they should be.

2101 - 2120 of 2122 Posts