IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my audio setup last week and decided to wire everything up while I was waitin for my speaker spacers. Basically I'm gonna running pce-216's in frt powered by a alpine mrvt-420 and dke 113 rear powered by my alpine 7894 hu.

Since I didn't have the means to install the speakers yet I decided to hookup the dke 113's to see if they work. Basically they sound clear at low volumes, but once I turn up the volume I hear a lot of distortion. I'm starting to think that my hu doesn't have juice to run these speakers, am I rite?? The mb quart recommends I run 35-90 watts rms, while my hu only gives out 60 watts max per channel.

One more thing, is it possible to bridge the hu's 4 channel into 2 channels safely?? Probably not rite?

·
Registered
376 Posts
you should look at the rms value of the hu...that is the important thing to look at, midrange head units....(pricing around 250-300 dollars) usually gives an rms value of 22...i have a kenwood deck givving off 22 rms.. sure the peak is gonna be at 60 but you rarely get that. i dont know about bridging, i would just get a nice 2 channel amp to power you fron speakers....btw are they components or like 2 ways? i know the 2 ways tend to eat less watts so i would just power the front ones with a 2 channel amp (if components) and provide the rear speakers (if 2-way) with the hu power. check ebay for some good 2 channel amps think i found a couple running for 120ish for a 2 channel amp rms value of 80-100 watts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: cel with TurboXS TBE??

Your HU does not have enough power for those speakers. You will need an amp. Bridging the HU is technically possible but highly inadvisable. MAX and RMS ratings are completely different. I only look at RMS ratings. I think the HU you have is fine.....you just need an amp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn thats exactly what I didn't want to have to do, get an amp for the rear fill. Or else I woulda gotten a 4 channel amp instead of a 2 channel
one. I was thinking for the time being to just adjust the fader to the frt so that at higher volumes the rears won't need as much juice. We'll see how that works out, if not I'll get a 4 channel and bridge my current one to power a sub. Damn my Sti just keeps getting heavier and heavier :(

the frts are components and the rears are coaxials btw.

·
Registered
96 Posts
try this drive.

Just a couple of more things to consider. First, the speakers you're installing are probably 6.5" in diameter. When you listen to a small speaker like that in an open air environment, it's probably going to sound like crap. Once you install it in your door however, the bass automatically picks up because now it's in somewhat of an enclosure. Bass loves boxes... Second, 6.5" speakers aren't really designed to pump out a lot of heavy low end bass. Most people use high pass filters to ensure that their smaller speakers aren't burdened with the heavy wattage requirements to produce loud bass. When there's a heavy drain on the amp like that, the speaker starts to distort and everything begins to sound like crap, highs mids and lows. I'm sure if you get a dedicated 2 or 4 channel aftermarket amp, install them in the door, and tune them so that they receive only the high frequency bass signals (80-100+ hertz), you'll definitely think they sound much better. Only problem then will be finding a nice sub to fill in the rest of the missing sound. If you're planning on going sub-less, then get a nice high powered multi-channel amp. 35-50 watts RMS would probably produce great sound.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oldirty said:
Just a couple of more things to consider. First, the speakers you're installing are probably 6.5" in diameter. When you listen to a small speaker like that in an open air environment, it's probably going to sound like crap. Once you install it in your door however, the bass automatically picks up because now it's in somewhat of an enclosure. Bass loves boxes... Second, 6.5" speakers aren't really designed to pump out a lot of heavy low end bass. Most people use high pass filters to ensure that their smaller speakers aren't burdened with the heavy wattage requirements to produce loud bass. When there's a heavy drain on the amp like that, the speaker starts to distort and everything begins to sound like crap, highs mids and lows. I'm sure if you get a dedicated 2 or 4 channel aftermarket amp, install them in the door, and tune them so that they receive only the high frequency bass signals (80-100+ hertz), you'll definitely think they sound much better. Only problem then will be finding a nice sub to fill in the rest of the missing sound. If you're planning on going sub-less, then get a nice high powered multi-channel amp. 35-50 watts RMS would probably produce great sound.
What he said.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys were rite, the speakers sound alot better in an inclosed space. Now I wait til I get my frt components in.

Btw for those of you that installed 5 1/4 speakers in the back how did you guys cut the door openings. I bought some spacers but the mounting holes were pretty much all off, so I had to cut the openings to fit on the passenger side. I dremeled the hole bigger but those damn metal shaving got everywhere and now I have about 100 metal splinters in my hand :cry:.

I have to redo the drivers side now and was wondering if tin snips would be a better chice this time. I got the spacers to work on the drivers side but now 2 of the pushpins in the door don't go back in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm curious, assuming you don't have any desire for a subwoofer would it be advisable to high pass the 6-1/2s I have in the front?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Probably not. If you don't have any subs, high passing the front speakers will kill your bass output. The rear speakers mounts in the STi are 5.25" as far as I can tell. They're not bass machines either. Just go full out, otherwise your system will sound like a cheap pair of headphones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts