IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another boost gauge question?

just wanted to let everyone know...what agreat shop :p they took great care with mt sti did great work and treated me and my wife like king's. i would highly reccommend this shop for any sti's out there....thay actually know what they are doing....car was dyno'd....i'm putting down 272hp at the wheels...the car is much faster....quicker spool...and when i get on it...you are literally pinned in the seat....all i can say is JOY :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
OEM Tweeter kit for sale

Yeah, I had my STi dyno'd there and am putting down 256'ish to the wheels. What have you done to your ride, cause your #'s don't = stock. Spill the beans! :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thorn - I should be arriving between 5:30-6:30.....do you recall what we discussed on Saturday and are you in? PM me - wanna ask you something else too. Stu

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...here ya go...gt spec II headers...hks catless down-pipe...defi/omori gauges.....i went just for the gauges...and then ups arrived with their first set of those headers....i couldnt resist...and since i was doin the headers it was easier for them to do the downpipe. the tech there is a guy who really,really knows whats goin on with the subie....11 secs here i come....round two in jan or feb...down pipe back(not sure which exhaust yet)and then just engine management....that i am told is the biggest problem right now...but they think turboxs should have it worked out in jan/feb....can you say 350 to the wheels? i know it's possible now 8)

·
Registered
949 Posts
i emailed them and called them to ask if they would port my turbo wastegate upon my purchase of a tbe, and they said they normally don't do it, and that they would rather see me purchase a vf34 instead!

it seems like most shops i call and ask about the creep issue with tbe's all act like they have never heard of it... what gives?!?!

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
i emailed them and called them to ask if they would port my turbo wastegate upon my purchase of a tbe, and they said they normally don't do it, and that they would rather see me purchase a vf34 instead!

it seems like most shops i call and ask about the creep issue with tbe's all act like they have never heard of it... what gives?!?!
First off, thanks Mark, we were glad your happy with the service and products you had installed.

Secondly, we do not port Turbo's. We have PROVEN a 15awhp loss with running a ported stock turbo housing from "another" manufacturer. This is the reason why we do not recommend running a ported E/housing turbo. If there are companies out there who feel they can make more power without causing the "Boost Creep" issue, then we would love to see the turbo and work they did.

Remember that we DYNO TEST EVERYTHING that enters this shop. Some on stock WRX's and some on our shop car. We like to know what we are selling, and tell the Customer what they are getting. This is why Mark put down better numbers, we sold him parts that we know work. Bottom line.

- Chris

·
Registered
357 Posts
Chris I agree that portig the turbo itself has little effect if any, I do port the wastegate port on the STI VF39's to solve the boost creep problem. If done properly, it does solve boost creep problem very well. If done wrong they may lose boost presure and thus turbo effciency at higher boost levels. As with everything, it also depends on who does the work and not just what parts you use. Salisbury, the stock turbo will NOT support 350 whp. I will finish testing my stage II setup Monday. I expect 320-325 whp on 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guru, i would be happy with 325 whp....car is still running great....cel is still gone...followed staticx313/vishnu ecu reset link....WOW... Thanks Robrt , Chris at xx

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
XXChris said:
chrisfx811 said:

Secondly, we do not port Turbo's. We have PROVEN a 15awhp loss with running a ported stock turbo housing from "another" manufacturer. This is the reason why we do not recommend running a ported E/housing turbo. If there are companies out there who feel they can make more power without causing the "Boost Creep" issue, then we would love to see the turbo and work they did.
How can you lose horsepower by porting the wastegate? With an EBC or MBC doesnt it keep the wastegate shut until it hits the projected PSI anyways (For faster spool?)? I can see maybe the stock BC having some problems *i guess*, but I dont understand how it would hurt horsepower. I can see how if you OVERPORT and exhaust just leaks out , that THAT will hurt performance, but im confused otherwise. If you can elaborate more on that, that would be awsome. Thanks man!

Robert~

I just went back and reread it... lol do you mean porting the housing (like a port and polish job) or porting the wastegate... to fix boost creep giving you a 15awhp loss?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, what i thought was wastegate chatter wasnt....just a couple of bad gaskets on the headers...Chris fixed me up right away, and i also added to my collection a cusco front strut tower brace,and a new optima red top...both were expertly installed.The car just keeps gettin better and better...Thanks again to Chris and Dan @ XXTuning 8)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Awsome sounds good! Did oyu notice anything with the strut bar? I sure did when I put mine on!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the strut brace did make a difference in handling...a bit stiffer...and it looks awesome too....i have all red split loom so the optima red top looks right at home too!! I'm lookin at almost 60 degrees outside so i need to go for a ride!!!!!!!!! Merry Xmas :p

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
DANG 60? Man lol its freezin down here! Well have fun and merry Xmas to you too!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Which Optima power rating did you go with, and what was the weight savings? I'm looking to do this in the spring, but I want to make sure I have enough CCA for the CT winter (but like you said, no need today since it's 60!) Also which front strut did you get? I think Cusco offers Al, Ti, and CF. I have a rear Cusco CF on the way, will order a front bar next. Thanks -

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the optima is 900 cca....the strut brace is aluminum...both make fine additions to the car....i'm about 12-15 lbs lighter too 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
staticx313 said:
DANG 60? Man lol its freezin down here! Well have fun and merry Xmas to you too!

Robert~

Don't we all wish it was still 60 outside.. (Im sure we'll all take that over the 0-25deg. weather that we have had for the past 3 weeks!)

XX Tuning

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
i would have to agree with static, the xxtuning guys know good customer service. bought a few perrin goodies from them earlier today, and they hooked it up with a lil package deal. thumbs up :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks "dmacalot" wait for our new results to follow..

We just took home our brand new Silver STI yesterday from the dealership..
We are gonna go thru her like we did our yellow wrx. Going to dyno parts as we add them on, to give the best results for our customers which are interested in making there STi faster!

XX Tuning

1 - 20 of 26 Posts