IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
xotic motorsports PROTUNE STOCK TURBO 306 hp/ 348 tq

stock turbo, TBE, tial 38mm ewg turbo xs mbc

red run was with those mods on 13 psi ( stock tune)

only thing is im having trouble keeping boost up in the first 2 gears but after 3rd the boost goes right to about 19 psi

it feels great and i even have better gas mileage then i did prior to the tune.

if anyone has any insight into the low boost in low gear problem im facing lmk please thanks

( if i turn the boost controller up it makes the boost go too high in the higher gears ( around 20 psi)

i have the line from the turbo to the MBC and then the EWG, i have no other vac lines hooked up on that side, the stock unit isnt hooked up or anything . .

thx

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The low boost thing in 1st and 2nd I believe is pretty much a normal occurance. If it's severe, try a reset and recalibrate your wastegate duty cycle.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Its just gearing and normal. There are ways around it but it takes time and good tuning i.e. low-speed boost mult., avcs, and etc.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
AVCS can be tuned on ecutek and etc. reflash tuning software. A good tuner will fine tune this map for spool (jorge from p&l) and top-end (clark from vivid). I was not talking about getting new heads and cams.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
jason bouchard said:
yea avcs would be nice, but cant fork that much yet i just spend 750 for the ecutek and full day of dyno and street tuning
What were you talking about? Your car already has AVCS and properly tuned spool and low end will be increased dramatically. Thats what I meant

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stee said:
The low boost thing in 1st and 2nd I believe is pretty much a normal occurance. If it's severe, try a reset and recalibrate your wastegate duty cycle.

how do i recalibrate my waste duty cycle ? i have ecutek

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crystal_Imprezav said:
What were you talking about? Your car already has AVCS and properly tuned spool and low end will be increased dramatically. Thats what I meant
"AVCS can be tuned on ecutek and etc. reflash tuning software. A good tuner will fine tune this map for spool (jorge from p&l) and top-end (clark from vivid). I was not talking about getting new heads and cams."

no i dont have have avcs yet, and you said somethign about cams and and heads ? this is getting off topic weird

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
jason bouchard said:
how do i recalibrate my waste duty cycle ? i have ecutek
Basically it involves doing an ECU reset(with the car already warmed up) and going through 4th and 5th gears in every throttle situation, e.g. light load, heavy load, light throttle, full throttle.

If you are lucky enough to find an abandoned stretch of road, start from 2000 rpm and apply full throttle to redline a couple of times(using at least 4th gear, 5th gear is best though ;) ), shut the car off, restart the car, get up to speed and do some more runs again(basically you are almost simulating a road tune). I do this several times until I'm satisfied with my boost levels/curves, etc.

*Disclaimer:
I never do this as I would be speeding. It's all in my imagination.

·
Registered
228 Posts
305sti06 said:
those numbers are pretty high what kind of dyno is it? mustang??
I'm guessing Dynojet based on the graph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Xotic

jason bouchard said:
xotic motorsports PROTUNE STOCK TURBO 306 hp/ 348 tq

stock turbo, TBE, tial 38mm ewg turbo xs mbc

red run was with those mods on 13 psi ( stock tune)

only thing is im having trouble keeping boost up in the first 2 gears but after 3rd the boost goes right to about 19 psi

it feels great and i even have better gas mileage then i did prior to the tune.

if anyone has any insight into the low boost in low gear problem im facing lmk please thanks

( if i turn the boost controller up it makes the boost go too high in the higher gears ( around 20 psi)

i have the line from the turbo to the MBC and then the EWG, i have no other vac lines hooked up on that side, the stock unit isnt hooked up or anything . .

thx
What's up? This is Norris, I talked to you up at xotics.
Your putting down alot of power considering your mods. :tup: :tup:
As for your problem hitting target boost in lower gears. Your going to need something like this http://www.jscspeed.com/univ/boostcontroller/apex_avc-r.htm
It's able to do gear based boost control, and comes with a kickass solenoid valve. The perrin solenoid valves just don't cut it and with a manual boost controller there is no way to adjust "wastegate duty cycle".

And as for anyone getting confused....
All the STi's have AVCS.
And jason bouchard has an STi.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stee said:
Basically it involves doing an ECU reset(with the car already warmed up) and going through 4th and 5th gears in every throttle situation, e.g. light load, heavy load, light throttle, full throttle.

If you are lucky enough to find an abandoned stretch of road, start from 2000 rpm and apply full throttle to redline a couple of times(using at least 4th gear, 5th gear is best though ;) ), shut the car off, restart the car, get up to speed and do some more runs again(basically you are almost simulating a road tune). I do this several times until I'm satisfied with my boost levels/curves, etc.

*Disclaimer:
I never do this as I would be speeding. It's all in my imagination.

hmm interesting, thanks

yea it feels faster with less boost then with more idk its weird

1 - 18 of 18 Posts