IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious...Has anyone installed an XM radio tuner/antenna in their STi? The reception I get in my STi is, well, horrible. It seems to have a hard time clearly picking up radio stations that are only 10 miles away! I was thinking about going with XM Radio (my head unit is XM-ready). Just today I went over to my local Circuit City to get some of my questions answered. The tech. told me he thought the only place I could place the antenna would be on the trunk, up towards the glass. He said he didn't think I could install it on the roof because it looks like you can't get the wire through the windshield properly. After he suggested putting the antenna on the trunk, I asked him if the rear wing would cause any interference. He said, "Good point." Has anyone out there installed the tuner/antenna? If you have, could you please let me know how you did it? Pictures would be great, but at this point I'll take just a reply to this post!

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've seen the XM antenna installed on the rear widsheild near the top. Your radio reception problem is most likely that the antenna amplifier has not been wired up. My stereo installer didn't hook mine up, claiming that the STi didn't have an antenna. I'm not all that car savvy, but I got it hooked up correctly in a matter on minutes, and the radio reception improved dramatically. Just hook up the power antenna lead from your head unit to the wire going back to the antenna amplifier (a blue wite in most harnesses, connects to a white wire on the car side of the harness).

·
Registered
759 Posts
Crazytrain is right. You don't have the antenna amp hooked up. They did the same to my car. I have XM and love it. I don't listen to local crapola anymore. I have a few pictures here. http://home.kc.rr.com/cerberus/index.html

My wing just misses the antenna when putting the trunk up. The antenna is adjustable{and huge} so you will have no problem with fitting it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually going to install a low profile antenna that mounts on the roof. So you're saying I can definitely do that, right? I'll be able to feed the wire through the glass by the roof line? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

·
Registered
759 Posts
bigman32 said:
I was actually going to install a low profile antenna that mounts on the roof. So you're saying I can definitely do that, right? I'll be able to feed the wire through the glass by the roof line? Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.
NO.
I don't know anything about a roof antenna. Mine is on the top of the glass. I KNOW the glass mount is fine. I cannot help you with a roof mount.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a picture of your antenna so I can see how you did it? You've got some really great pics on your site. I love what you've done with the car. It looks sweet!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
bigman32 said:
Can you post a picture of your antenna so I can see how you did it? You've got some really great pics on your site. I love what you've done with the car. It looks sweet!!
I have pictures of the final product. I did not do the job. What you see is what you get. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
hang on hang on a second here... there is no such thing as a stealthy external install. mine is sitting on my back deck, inside the car, under a tinted rear window, and it works perfectly.

to be more clear - XM radio uses a repeater system, so the vast majority of the time (as long as you're near a populated area) you're NOT getting the signal from the satellite, but rather from ground-based repeaters. Sirius, on the other hand, uses few if any repeaters and is mostly based on the signal from above, so it's necessary to externally mount the antenna. this is not the case with XM. i've had the antennae in trunks, roll hoops on convertibles, rear decks, and on the rear strut bar of my 350Z.

so, sweat not. put it where you like - the only thing i recommend after all this experience (having owned 5 cars with XM in them) is to install somewhere the antenna can 'see' the sky.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i bought a cool looking pioneer shark fin antenna a long time ago for my xm. it's on the leading edge of the trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Thanks for that bit of info Lightning, it is good to know. I am still on the fence about satellite radio, about ready to fall off in the direction of getting it. My Alpine headunit is already setup for XM I just need the module or something. I am glad to know that I can just put the antenna on the rear deck instead of mounting it somewhere on the exterior of the car.

M

·
0 Posts
just FYI, Sirius also has terrestrial antennas, :)

But XM is still betta in my opinion.

mist

·
Registered
30 Posts
WTS: OEM speakers/sub and foglights/surrounds (silver)

I really like the way that stealth antenna looks...I am considering that route.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just hook up the power antenna lead from your head unit to the wire going back to the antenna amplifier (a blue wite in most harnesses, connects to a white wire on the car side of the harness).
This solved my poor radio reception issue. I already went back to my installer because of another issue, and I wasn't willing to have my car with them for another day.

The radio side of the harness they installed did not have the blue/white wire so I hooked the antenna power lead (blue wire on my Apline) up to the white wire on the car side of the harness.
Much better. Thanks alot crazytrain!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey MKIV - I have an Alpine HU as well (7998) and also have XM installed. Wanted to give you a heads-up. Alpine requires an "XM Tuner" unit in order to receive the XM signal and send it thru. My install shop had a HELLUVA hard time procuring one. If you check Crutchfiled they're backordered till Nov. 15th or something ridiculous (last time I checked). So if you're GOING to install XM I'd advise starting to try and find one ASAP....so as to minimize any delays. And for the antenna question - I have the same XM antenna as JJ, in the same exact spot. If I ever lose my XM signal it's approx. 1/2 of a second of mild static, then it comes right back on. It looks nice and low-key back there too.....I get a lot of questions as to what it's for (till the brainiacs see the "XM" on there anyway). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Bitabur - thanks for the heads-up. I was letting MKIV know that Alpine HU's require a XM specific tuner in order to work.....I'm sure there are lots of HU's that come w/built in XM tuners....but since both he and I have Alpine and he's considering adding XM I thought I'd give him a heads-up on Alpine specific XM feasibility. I may not have been very clear in my original post.....my apologies if so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts