IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No tunes in your new sti? Possible free Adapter solution

This is a long story so bear with me. I woke up at 5 am and left the house about 6:00 am for St. Louis. 10:00 am and I am at Axis in St. Louis. FIRST things....Ron busted his butt all day on my car and he did a great job. I highly recommend them. Now back to the story. Ron pulled my IC, Intake, and turbo. He then ported the waste gate on the turbo. Next was pulling my egt probe from the down pipe and putting it in the manifold. After that he hooked my turbo gauge and corrected a miswiring of my gauges which was killing my battery. He then reinstalled the turbo and downpipe. He got all of this done in less than 3 hours and then we had a delightful lunch.

2:00pm Alrighty then....now is where the REAL fun started. Ron pulls out the XEDE and the color code instructions from Vishnu for the pin outs were wrong. Vishnu would not answer the phone today so we{Ron} were on our own. He got them all wired correctly the first time. The next step was was to fire it up. Vishnu did not load the STi stage 1 maps{or any maps for that matter}. Every map was zeros. Ok...no problem...Mike and I go to his place for internet access and he downloads the sti maps from the Vishnu site and burns them to disk. We then go back to the shop.

4:00 pm Got the maps, put them in the Xede. The is running......good sign. Time to head to Ron's other place for the dyno.

4:30 pm Oh look outside...it is so pretty....it's snowing! This is getting exciting with me, the STi and the stock tires. I don't know where I am and it's snowing....Yea!

5:30 ish {losing temporal cohesion} OK...On the dyno we go and I have 200 WHP. SWEET! Ron scans the info and I am running 9 PSI max boost. Hmmmm.............Vishnu is still not answering calls.........Ron determines that the STi stage one 93 boost map is horribly wrong. Ron then had to fix it.

7:30 ish 15 pulls on the dyno. The car is tuned and the throttle body is hot.. Nobody wants to wait around an hour to cool and do it again.

8:00 ish leaving Illinios and heading home {the roads were pretty clear}.

11:59 Home - 3 beers, 30 emails, and off to bed.

Here is the dyno info......Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer
Max WHP was 257
Max Torque was 280

This was a 3rd gear pull running 93 reformulated winter gas.
The dyno is here. http://home.kc.rr.com/cerberus/xede_and_dyno.htm

The max boost on the final dyno was 15 psi. It might need more tweaking or it might be the heat. I should know soon. I didn't push it on the way home because of the weather and I was tired.

Thanks again Ron and Mike!

Edit: I took the car out this morning and I hit 16.5 PSI in 3rd. There is a noticable difference with the XEDE in power and torque.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the great info and the good documentation, Hummer! I am planning to pick one of these babies up as soon as the Plug & Play version becomes available. They(Vishnu) told me June/July '04(if all goes as planned, that is).

Got a few questions:
When you ordered the XEDE, did you request that it already come preloaded with a map?

Are you holding boost pretty solid with the ported wastegate and the XEDE controlling the boost?

Thanks, again
-Matt

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
STiLLWILL said:
Got a few questions:
When you ordered the XEDE, did you request that it already come preloaded with a map?

Are you holding boost pretty solid with the ported wastegate and the XEDE controlling the boost?

Thanks, again
-Matt
Ron ordered the XEDE for me. It was cheaper than buying direct. He requested the maps but it was some how missed.

The dyno shows the boost curve and I don't recall the specifics{EDIT: http://home.kc.rr.com/cerberus/xede_and_dyno.htm } . We really do have a wimpy turbo though. I THINK Ron said the waste gate solenoid was at 98% in 3rd and 99% in 4th. I am going to get a new turbo but it will probably be a year.

The ported waste gate has eliminated the creep. In third gear it pegs 16.5 psi and then no spike{woo hoo!}.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Stuart

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: Wiper Wiper Blades!

Ron sounds like a class act man, I'm really glad you got everything working. That level of support from Vishnu is total crap, you are lucky that you had someone who could pick up the slack. I heard the same thing from someone else - that the wiring was totally wrong.

That sounds great, i.e. 257whp at 16.5PSI. Yummy. I look forward to whatever data you can provide.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hummer said:
STiLLWILL said:
Got a few questions:

Thanks, again
-Matt
Ron ordered the XEDE for me. It was cheaper than buying direct. He requested the maps but it was some how missed.

The dyno shows the boost curve and I don't recall the specifics{EDIT: http://home.kc.rr.com/cerberus/xede_and_dyno.htm } . We really do have a wimpy turbo though. I THINK Ron said the waste gate solenoid was at 98% in 3rd and 99% in 4th. I am going to get a new turbo but it will probably be a year.

The ported waste gate has eliminated the creep. In third gear it pegs 16.5 psi and then no spike{woo hoo!}.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Stuart
That dyno looks nice, A/F looks about right also. Very cool man. So does it pull like a madman or what!? : )

-st

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
AWD Dynos

Congrats on getting it done man! I know you've been talking about this for some time now.

Hey....whataya say we get together for a test drive....how's Sunday? ;) 15 inches of snow shouldn't slow you down at all.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Singletrack said:
1. Ron sounds like a class act man, I'm really glad you got everything working. 2. That level of support from Vishnu is total crap, you are lucky that you had someone who could pick up the slack. I heard the same thing from someone else - that the wiring was totally wrong.

3. That sounds great, i.e. 257whp at 16.5PSI. Yummy. I look forward to whatever data you can provide.

-st
1. Ron is a class act guy.
2. Your call on Vishnu seems correct to me.
3. Actually it was [email protected] PSI. I am currently running 16.5. What would be my HP at 16.5? I talked to Ron again today to update him on my increased boost and lack of any issues. He said 16.5 was perfect and my torque at the wheels would be about 299 with the increased boost.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: in ri

CloNeGTS said:
Congrats on getting it done man! I know you've been talking about this for some time now.

Hey....whataya say we get together for a test drive....how's Sunday? ;) 15 inches of snow shouldn't slow you down at all.
Ha ha. I was so happy that it stopped snowing in St. Louis last night. My car was washed today and it is in stowage as soon as the snow flies.

Saturday is better for me. The earlier the better. :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hmmm .. i was about to say, I thought turboxs alone claimed like 27whp increase? 25X sounds almost stock :(?

Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
staticx313 said:
hmmm .. i was about to say, I thought turboxs alone claimed like 27whp increase? 25X sounds almost stock :(?

Robert~
Approximatly 220 is stock for a STi on a Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer.
Here is Vishnu's.

Dyno Dynamics Dynamometers are not good for magazine racers. They always are much lower than other brands{but typically more consistant}.

As I stated in my post above, this was the 15th pull on the dyno. The throttle body and intake were very hot. I was at 15 PSI max boost{which is .5 above factory SPECS}. I am currently running 16.5 PSI.

Check out the "Great Dyno Equalizer". It's calculations put my car at 360 flywheel HP at 15 PSI. A Dynojet or Dynapack would read 303 WHP at 15 PSI.
http://www.vishnutuning.com/How_Big_Is_Your_Horsepower.xls

I am very happy with the performance. The torque is neck snapingly good.

Was this reply defensive enough? :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol im not criticizing you one bit whatsoever, you have just done a ton of work, and i hadnt seen #s from that type of dyno before. My apologies *bows* ;)

Robert~

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jeeze, how bad does Vishnu suck? They may be OK if you life within driving distance of them, but I'm going to steer clear of them till I hear of a dramatic improvement in customer service. Any 12 year old kid these days can set up a web site, put useless downloads on it, and resell someone else's black box without adding directions or programming.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I've been trying to find an honest answer to that as well. Some people swear by them, a lot of others swear at them.

What seems to work best if buying a stage 1 or other kit/parts from them is to have a local reputable tuner who has worked with their stuff and wrx's before tune everything for you. That's how most people seem to get the most out of their vishnu stuff.

I'm still wondering if I want to get a vishnu stage 1, if I do I'm going to have PDXTuning tune it for me. Certainly not going to drive down to N. Cal. just to get treated wrong by the men themselves.

I'm definitely not impressed with their web site, looks like someone fired up frontpage and whipped it out in about 10 minutes, not to mention the fact that they don't update it - "call for more information"! If I wanted to call, I wouldn't be trying to find information on your web site! How come businesses still don't get that?!

Oh, well... I have time to bide before I do anything anyway.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My opinion is that support from the installer is key. Even great raw product is not terribly useful without someone who can dial it in properly. Converesly, cantankerous components can probably yield a very good result in the right hands.

I can't do this work myself, so I'll probably be relying on one of the shops in Portland. One of the things that got my attention re Vishnu is that (apparently) they work with authorized installers around the country. In any case, I think I'll be looking to prospective installers for advice on products.

I also think the sheep will separate themselves from the goats as staged packages come to market and start seeing real use. This is part of the reason I want to look at the suspension first. This and the fact that the stock suspension is way behind the stock power delivery.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
sciolist said:
I also think the sheep will separate themselves from the goats as staged packages come to market and start seeing real use. This is part of the reason I want to look at the suspension first. This and the fact that the stock suspension is way behind the stock power delivery.
You and I think a lot alike on this issue... my thoughts exactly on all counts.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update : 2/10/04
I experienced detonation 1x while over boosting with the Axis boost map {@ 5F} last week. My max boost was 17.3 PSI. Detonation was detected, timing was retarded, and fuel dumped causing 4 CELs {misfire in cylinders 1-4}. I have now modified the the boost map. I have had a few dozen WOT runs testing out the slowly evolving boost map and it works great so far. I have been using the final {for now} modified map for one week. No detonation or CEL and my max boost is 16.5 PSI. I do have the waste gate ported and there is zero creep. I typically run 94+ octane. I mix 4 gallons of 100 with 12 gallons of 92. Below are my boost maps. Vishnu stage 1 is on the left, Axis map is in the middle, and my current modified map is on the right.

I spoke to Vishnu today and I was told that the factory boost map averaged 50% on the stock STi through 4000 rpm. They are sending me a pdf and a wire for hooking up the IC sprayer to the XEDE. The software menu for the IC spray is below.

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
sciolist said:
You and I think a lot alike on this issue... my thoughts exactly on all counts.
You guys are right on spot. Suspension first. By summer there should be a lot more options power wise.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ERacer said:
By summer there should be a lot more options power wise.
You are correct in that there will be more vendors for engine management. Most likely they will all have their quirks but they will do about the same thing. You can only get so much power with the stock turbo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts