IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know that my new company, WRXtra, is now open for business. JJ was kind enough to let me post a note here for those of you who already own WRXs or are planning on buying one. We design and manufacture Subaru-specific performance parts and accessories and are currently developing some really cool stuff, so check us out at www.wrxtra.com.

Thanks!

J.B.
www.wrxtra.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Just bought a WRX, sorta having second thoughts

There are a couple reasons why we decided to go with an intercooler mount. First, the logistics of mounting the guard to the scoop without altering the scoop are quite difficult. There's no way to do it and have it look OK without drilling for mounting brackets. Not OK with most people. Second, by mounting it under the hood, it is a "hidden" upgrade that will not effect the appearance of the car. Most people I have talked to prefer it that way. Third, mounting it to the intercooler keeps costs down. It's not the kind of upgrade that people want to spend $100 on. The cool factor isn't there. :) The kit we're developing should be in the sub-$20 range. Lastly, it is much easier to remove for cleaning by mounting it to the intercooler. Just pop a couple spring clips and it's off.

If you're looking for a scoop mounted guard, drop me a PM or email. We can probably come up with something for you.

J.B.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely. The STi intercooler is very similar in construction to the stock WRX intercooler; it's just larger. Once the WRX one is finished being tested, it should be very simple to make it for the STi.

J.B.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yup, I will probably be interested in one of those guards too. Also, I saw on a pic of an STi once that had mud/stone guards on it They were like mud flaps, but not flaps. Nothing hung down, they were pieces of plastic or something about a foot long that attached under the car right behind each wheel and flared out to prevent stuff from getting flung up the sides of the car. They looked alot better than a traditional mudflap and could probably be painted to match. I wish I had a pic, in fact the pic I saw I think was on here somewhere. I think somone posted a pic of thier STi and it had them. I looked around but could not find the pic. Anyway they looked nice and would help guard against stones and stuff which I would be worried about cause I am sure my STi will see some rallying, whether on my own or a rallycross event. :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
on the topic of ic's i was wondering, w/ all the dings and dents the intercoolers get, especially fmic, do people ever have to replace them like every 10K miles or is an intercooler something you should never have to replace. I just say this b/c i see lots of pics with intercoolers that have numerous dents in them and i just wondered if this was not good.
p.s. would an ic guard rob any air flow to ic?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
chawklit,
Yes, ICs sometimes have to be replaces..especially FMICs. The covers shouldn't disturb airflow much. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine if the holes in the cover are good sized I don't see that it would disrupt airflow much, but even with a cover you're gonna see some dings ever now and then.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chawklit:

As 91TB78 said, they do get dings and dents. But unless you actually breach the tubing, there isn't a NEED to replace it. The dings and dents can effect performance, however. Squashed fins = less air flow = higher intake temp. The idea behind the cover is to provide an inexpensive, easily replacible part so you don't have to replace the IC.

The mesh that I'm currently testing on my kit has an 1/8" opening. It should be an acceptable trade-off so it'll be strong, stop the larger objects, and still allow good air flow. I'll be testing with an intake temp probe to be sure.

J.B.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I am assuming this is some sort of mesh grill IC guard so it would not hinder the air flow. Otherwise I don't want one because it will block the air flow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on some initial testing, we're looking at an intake temperature rise which is barely noticable (less than .2%). Since environmental variables such as ambiant temp and humidity have a significantly higher impact on the intake temperature, the change in airflow and the consequent change to intake temp due to the IC guard should be immaterial.

J.B.

WRXtra.com

S

·
0 Posts
jbhebert said:
Absolutely. The STi intercooler is very similar in construction to the stock WRX intercooler; it's just larger. Once the WRX one is finished being tested, it should be very simple to make it for the STi.

J.B.
Cool! 8) Is your company planning to advertise them here on ImprezaWRXSTi.com ? :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this is very old thread but I placed in order on the website and have not been able to get in touch with WRXtra. Does anyone know if they are still open?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts