IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone thought about this....i'm only sixteen and out of curiousity, and the fact that sti's are going fast....would an sti turbo/intercooler set up work on a base turbocharged wrx engine....would it be costly....how much power are we looking at??? price??? curiousity.....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you were going to change out the turbo on a WRX, I don't think you'd go for a VF39. You'd probably want to go with a VF30 or one of the more mainstream replacements.

STi IC....done all the time. Very common replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that all i would need, i tried to get some help out of the guys at NASIOC, but all they would do was flame me....thanx for your help

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
depending on $$ in your wallet, there is aftermarket TMIC larger then STi one, im not sure of price differences thou, but the VF30 is a VERY popular turbo, as it offer pretty good down low plus up high also, again there is aftermarket bolt on turbos made by various tuners (APS,AVO, etc) but once again bigger $. visit a site like www.vividracing.com they offer the STi TMIC and aftermarket ones, plus they sell the VF30 and aftermarket turbos too. they also have prices on there to, so u have a rough idea how much it is going to be, but of course shop around. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Canadiab EVO

some advice?

have your parents buy you a weekend of driving school before spending cash on upgrading the turbo and stuff.

when i was sixteen, i was driving a ford pinto.

not intended as a flame. but how much actual SOLO driving experience do you have?

even a pinto can be dangerous weapon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have actualy been driving by myself for a while, but i agree with the driving school idea, just cause i think it would be fun. i'm paying for the car on my own though, so i don't have much money, but i do have a job and saving for a awesome car...i think it's worth it... how much would lessons at a driving school cost, and are there any around like austin??? thanx

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
ldivinag said:
some advice?

have your parents buy you a weekend of driving school before spending cash on upgrading the turbo and stuff.

when i was sixteen, i was driving a ford pinto.

not intended as a flame. but how much actual SOLO driving experience do you have?

even a pinto can be dangerous weapon.
I agree completely. I've been driving for 9 years, autoxed on and off for several and been through a driving school.....but this thing still catches me off guard.

·
Registered
357 Posts
WRB STi in VCU

The VF39 on the STi is similar to a VF30 so unless you find one super cheap just use a VF30. THe STI intercooler is utter junk and only useful as a paperweight. Unless you're geting it for free, don't bother with it. Use a larger TMIC from Turbo XS or APS or better yet a FMIC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
are you driving a wrx at 16? if so your parents are a lot more... permissive than mine were. definitely look into driver's school, and maybe show up for your local auto-x a few times.

the advantage of the VF39 is that if you wait a bit, as STis start to swap out their turbos, the price will probably be good. my plan for my old wrx was to go to a VF34 and a big top mount. that should be plenty for a street car. don't forget to budget for injectors, fuel pump, and engine management. (not to mention suspension and beakes)

good luck and play safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts