IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is confirmed. Mitsubishi is bringing the Evo 7 over next january for a price of around 29000. I am afraid to even think about this. I asked subaru representatives what they plan to do to counteract mitsubishi. They said they have no plans of that nature until aleast 2004. The wrx while it is a great car. The evo7 for five grand more with 250+ bhp is just too good to pass up. While i am very loyal to subaru, if they dont bring in the sti in or modify the wrx, i find myself becoming a subaru fan in a mitsubishi. Is there anything that the subaru has over the evo 7 and would it be worth it not to get the evo instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need to figure out what to get now- EVO 7 or mod a WRX

I can buy a EVO 7 in florida for 36k, or I can buy a wrx, install exhaust, brakes, suspension, wheels etc. prob not too much difference in cost. A little concerned about wrx drivetrain. Not sure which interior nicer. Also like to active differerntial in the EVO 7. Would like to spend 30k and have a kickass car(soon!!!) Can wait till fall, but really don't want to if nothing coming. Does anyone know how to get a EVO 7 cheaper, or how to import a wrx sti??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting Game

the evo 7 will be here in january for under 30,000. So if you can wait half a year, you can get one for alot less. As for the WRX, if you have 30,000, just buy the evo 7 when it gets here. Theres just not enough mods for the price to safely get an STi to 280 bhp and not risk seriously damaging the car. Plus the evo has all those toys that the wrx doesnt. And if you cant wait for an evo 7 (or STi) because of car troubles, it might be worth it to buy a cheap used car or lease one, till they come out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Theres just not enough mods for the price to
safely get an STi to 280 bhp and not risk seriously damaging the car
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

State the facts and your source for crying out loud...

JJ

·
Registered
135 Posts
SoD, dude a full scoobysport exhaust is 29-33bhp (from their page) a turboXS unichip is 30bhp(from their page). throw in the dump valve for throttle response and the silicone IC hoses for another 10bhp and thats 300bhp prolly in between 290-300bhp. you wont overheat anything or risk blowing anything, and the unichip from TurboXS is plug and play, not dice and splice. and everyhting can be taken off and returned BONE STOCK without a trace of anything ever being there. heres a price list of my mods to my WRX when i get it.

Scoobysport exhaust: $1236-1296(CEL fix)
uppipe - $225
downpipe - $355 or 415(w/ check engine light fix)
rear-center section - $166
muffler - $490

TurboXS: $1070
unichip - $700
Forge BOV - $190
SAMCO silicone hoses (3) - $180

Total: $2306-2366

additional mods planned:
STi IC - $635 (10-15hp)
WRX to STi IC kit - $156
VF30 turbo - $1595 (20-35hp)
Cryo freeze gears $500
STi Center LSD 20kgf viscous(5spd) - $992
STi Front LSD - $1522
STi Rear LSD - $915
--Total: $6315

way future:
H6 twin turbo

ill get my car dynoed after i break it in and ill post the results here. i should be fast enough to hang next to an STi. or at least be very close. and ill have it when you get your STis so i can pace you. *note yeah i said pace not race, i wont race a fellow subie, as i dont race a fellow dodge or chevy.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
BuddyLee,
Sounds like an extensive list of mods!

Of course this being my opinion I wouldn't mod it that much. If you are looking at spending nearly $25K on the car in the first place you will want it to last long enough. With those kinds of mods the car will not last very long and knowing how addictive the mod game is you will be in debt up to your eyes before you know it..believe me...i've been there and now pay cash for everything!

My buddy has a WRX now and is considering getting the STi when it comes in. Its only a year away and probably about 5-7K more than the WRX.

If you can, wait it out and save every cent! If you figure how much you will pay for the car, the mods, the interest, the labor...the STi will be a deal b/c your planned WRX will run you around $35K+..

If you still want to get the WRX..get these mods and then sell come closer time the STi is here:

turbo timer
clear bra
drop-in air filter not a replacement.

The rest...leave alone..of course since the STi will be here in a little bit you could save and get what you really want. But as a 19 y/o a WRX is AWESOME still...

PS..don't think I am dogging you, just giving you my .02 cents

Todd

·
Registered
135 Posts
Furthering rumor of price

i agree with you except for the fact that for the first two year there will only be 3 at each dealership. i would have been # 5 on a waiting list but i NEED a new car now, i cant drive my 78' dodge around its got 98,000 on it w/out a rebuild. and its a classic they only made 2188 of them. and i cant drive the IROC around everyday cuz its a gas goblin. the WRX fits me better anyway. i can add my special touch to it. i know it wont ever be a STi, but i have never gotten what i want when i want it (cept for that dodge, my gramps GAVE it to me) so the WRX modded will be great.
i've done the accounting on it and i cant afford about 800-1000 in mods a month so im set i think. like i said, the STi is AWESOME, but i cant get one. simple as that. but alas my WRX will be a very very nice WRX.

and i cant afford the insurance on the STi b/c it is considered a sportscar while the WRX is considered a economobile. $200 a month full coverage for the WRX. i know thats high but like i said, i am 19.

i want to continue this disc. but i REALLY have to pee............

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Sounds good about the WRX.

It sounds like its gonna be a nice car when you are done. One thing I might say before you're all done with it is do some internal engine mods for durability.

also, I had the pleasure of riding shotgun in a modded WRX. It was pushing about 265 with just a chip, exhaust, and intake filter. Let me tell you, I couldn't imagine anything faster. It was me, 235, my friend who was driving, ~200, and the dealer..atleast 230. We hauled!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were to get the ReX and mod it I would go this route:
full exhaust to include uppipe, downpipe
drop-in filter
turbo timer
clear bra
boost controller and/or a unichip/ecu mod
lighter/stronger flywheel for less turbo lag
suspension coilovers.
front brake upgrade to baer or ap or brembo..
strut bars and anti-sway bars
wheels and tires
Lastly, a FMIC.
I would keep the turbo pushing out only a little more than stock, but with everything else get the car pushing around 270+ yet still reliable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Modding a car is always fun, this is the list of mods i had in my MY98 WRX.

I've had every respect for the EJ20 engine. It was literally bulletproof. Gearbox is another matter. I've had this car at 1.45bar of boost with standard internals and 180kw at the wheels. My next move would have been fuel pump, fuel rail, and engine management....

* Whiteline adj. height coil over struts & adj. rebound Koni shocks
* Whiteline front and rear adjustable swaybars
* Whiteline heavy duty links
* Whiteline front top strut brace
* MY99 4pot subaru brake calipers & DBA slotted rotors
* Bendix Ultimate (street) & Endless NA-M (track) pads
* braided brake lines & dot 5.1 brake fluid
* Mitsubishi TD05 turbo
* Hyperflow tube 'n fin Front Mount Intercooler
* BPM twin dump pipe
* Apexi GT-Spec cat back exhaust
* Turbosmart Blow Off Valve
* Cusco Oil Catch-Can
* Unifilter air pod
* Cusco hypergum shift link bushes
* Apexi AVCR electronic boost controller
* Hyperform Shift Light
* HKS boost gauge
* STi Pedals
* Version6 STi front lip extension
* MY99/00 rear wing
* MY99/00 front bar & headlights
* MY00 WRX alloys
* 2nd gear and main shaft gearbox rebuild

...and some 17-20k later

pics are here...http://members.optushome.com.au/frankylie/WRX/FRANKY_MY98/

·
Registered
135 Posts
franky, have you ever heard of cryo freezing the gears? stock WRX 5 speed could take over 450hp without fear of failure, and it only costs like around $500 bucks, plus the rebuild.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Do you have any web info on the cryo freezing of the gears?

Sounds interesting, what do they do literaly freeze the gears to harden them or??!!

Also, so that runs $500, but you have to pay for the labor to take apart your tranny and put it back together?

·
Registered
281 Posts
91TB78 said:
Do you have any web info on the cryo freezing of the gears?

Sounds interesting, what do they do literaly freeze the gears to harden them or??!!

Also, so that runs $500, but you have to pay for the labor to take apart your tranny and put it back together?
Here's a quick description:

When forming metal, whether it's forged, cast, or stamped, you are going to have irregularities in the desity of the part. On a molecular level, you have more molecules in some areas and less in others. By cryogenically freezing the part, you lower the temperature of the metal to the point where the molecules almost stop moving. Then it is slowly (in a controlled environment) allowed to warm up again. As the warming takes place, the molecules tend to spread out more evenly, making the part stronger.

That's a very basic overview.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Thank you for the help!

So, would you say its worth it? I mean taking a new car and having this process done? Any places that do that in the states? Any web addresses?

I have heard that Subies are pretty bulletproof except for their tranny. is this true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
one thing you have to remember is labour costs are huge for a gearbox removal...which prompts me to ask BuddyLee have you budgeted for labour?

unless your in a country with low labour costs (of which western countries are definately not) then i suggest waiting till the gearbox breaks - otherwise you just have way too much money :)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I agree! I dunno how much it would run for labor, but I could only imagine given the complexity of it all.

Not too mention I have heard some stories of Subaru denying warranty due to mods like this...saying stuff like "this attributed to the malfunction."

I would rather have Subaru warrant it against problems and then when that runs or when it breaks get it modded cryo treated.

I know their powertrain warranty is 5 years...so it sounds pretty comprehensive!

·
Registered
135 Posts
lobor costs are huge? wtf. yeah compared to the process its exprensive. about $2000 will have it takenout, rebuilt, and reinstalled. the 6spd conversion kit is $10,000. so this is money well spent. not to mention AGAIN, its something id do to the STi as well. and its much more expensive for the STi b/c there is more metal=more wheight=more cash for cryo freezing, and no one in america will know how to take it apart.

cheers frankyboy :lol:

**91TB78
just posted as you did. if an entirely new transmission is only $500 more then id just get the new tranny.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
BuddyLee,
He, nor I, was flaming you or anything like that.

Labor costs are huge...if you look at percentages on the process. Let's say (using your example) you spend $2500, well labor is 80% of the total cost! That's amazing. This is not an unreal figure either. I agree with you too, but one thing that I will say is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If my tranny is running good..I'll keep it until I need to get it all done...but that (hopefully) will be a while from now.

Lastly, to each their own. If someone wants to buy a $million dollar car and another just wants to drive $1000 junkers their whole life..no worries either way..its their choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
$2k without cryo i take it?

I had my gearbox removed, rebuilt with a brand new 2nd gear and main shaft from subaru and re-assembled for $1600AUD - just under $1k US...?

Its definately a worthwhile investment....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts