IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need to know if any of you other WRX guys have the same situation.... I can't downshift into 1st gear until I am going extremely slow, almost stopped (~0 mph indicated). I still haven't hit 1500 miles, does that make a difference? I've tried matching the RPM's, maybe I'm just not doing it right? Also, are your guys' shifters also not too smooth? mine feels really notchy/clumpy throuigh the gates.... well at least compared to my bro's prelude that feels like it was carved from a teflon block. Please let me know if I need to kick my dealer in the nuts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think that's relatively common. My '02 with 28,000 miles has had a very noisy 1st gear synchro since the day I picked it up. It doesn't like to go in unless moving slowly, or if I rev match it. Thinking it was a problem, I took it to the dealer but they said it was normal. I test drove 3 other WRXs and they all did it.

As far as the clunky shifting goes, that's pretty normal too. The best (and least expensive) solution is to get a Kartboys (http://www.kartboy.com) short throw shifter and bushings. The whole setup will run you $125 and you can install it in an afternoon. It shifts as well or better than the Subaru factory option and is less than half the price.

Why Subaru didn't put a short throw kit on the WRX from the factory is beyond me. Most likely to save a little $$.

J.B.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i know this has nothing to do with the tranny but MY 02 WRX when i am stoped and idling the whole car shakes and was wondering if you all have the same thing or if i have a problem. And also when i am accerlerating with the turbo, it somtimes cuts out like a misfire but it is to fast to be a misfire.
let me know what ya'll think

·
Registered
53 Posts
When AutoWeek did their long-term review of the WRX they had problems with the motor mount.
They said
A vibration, actually major driveline lash, sent us back to the dealership shortly after the first scheduled service for a diagnosis. A simple tightening of the right engine mount seems to have fixed the problem. But we’ve also noticed a little lingering vibration that we’re not sure is associated with the repair, and it seems to be increasing with time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've noticed a little lumpy idle, but no serious shaking/vibrations. I also noticed what sometimes feels like a series of small fast dips in power output. I think it may be atributed to the wastegate opening and shuting, but actually i've only noticed it when i cruise in first, shift slowly to second and get on the throttle. I notice this feeling when I've had the clutch fully engaged at what seems to be too low an rpm for that gear/or let the clutch out too fast, too early. Now I think it may just be the car "rocking" a bit from time to time when i have made that mistake (much like someone learning to drive stick & about to kill it in first when taking off). It seems that the weight transfer phenomena could cause the apparent feeling of power surges. ...or maybe not..? :-? anyone?

·
Registered
191 Posts
super_bean21,

I also noticed what sometimes feels like a series of small fast dips in power output
It could also be your ecu. I have read a few articles stating that the stock 02 WRX ecu tends to give +10 hp one day and -5 hp another. Of course, these numbers are based on the driving conditions...

·
Registered
281 Posts
super_bean21 said:
I've noticed a little lumpy idle, but no serious shaking/vibrations. I also noticed what sometimes feels like a series of small fast dips in power output. I think it may be atributed to the wastegate opening and shuting, but actually i've only noticed it when i cruise in first, shift slowly to second and get on the throttle. I notice this feeling when I've had the clutch fully engaged at what seems to be too low an rpm for that gear/or let the clutch out too fast, too early. Now I think it may just be the car "rocking" a bit from time to time when i have made that mistake (much like someone learning to drive stick & about to kill it in first when taking off). It seems that the weight transfer phenomena could cause the apparent feeling of power surges. ...or maybe not..? :-? anyone?
Much of the surging that you feel is driveline lash. This is the phenomenon on AWD cars where, due to flex in the drivetrain, you get a wave effect as power is put to the ground. Since the front and rear tires are powered, and they aren't necessarily moving at the exact same speed, you can get surging. It's kinda hard to explain...

J.B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts