IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me a noob, but since this is an STi forum, can you guys please tell me why (if any, hehe) the 2004 Subaru WRX STi is better than the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII? I really need the help/advice in this choice between these two cars. And please be fair, guys. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
208 Posts
db8NA said:
Call me a noob, but since this is an STi forum, can you guys please tell me why (if any, hehe) the 2004 Subaru WRX STi is better than the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII? I really need the help/advice in this choice between these two cars. And please be fair, guys. Thanks for your time!

noob
No seriously, do a search if you really want to know. There have been many threads. My guess is that from your comment about "if any, hehe" you really aren't interested or serious. In which case go troll some other board.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm with STiwant1,
A car, any car, is something that you should probably not have to be "convinced" into buying, especially one thats 30k.
Do your own research, your the one that has to drive the thing.
Theres alot of mature owners on this board, I think (hope?) the pissing contests ended a while back between the Evo and STi owners.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Both are simply awesome cars. it all comes down to personel preference. Like I know for me I love the interior of the sti, and the evos is a little more sub par, I love the torque of the sti and how the power is always there, but hey this is just me. by no means would I ever put the evo down. its just as good of a car. I have actually been beaten in a race by an evo. it all comes donw to the driver for any kind of performance comparison. I dont plan on racing my sti everyday, but I do have to drive it every day to work, through snow, everything. and hey, I just like subaru all around a little better from my experience with my old mitsu.

the best thing to do would be find somone that owns one and go for a ride in it. take a ride in both of them and then make your choice. I know that if you go to your subi dealer and hand them $1000 for a deposit they will let you take it for a test spin around the block, and then if you dont like it. get your deposit back and just tell them. well this car really isnt for you. I know they had no problem letting me take mine for a test spin. but hey who wants to spend 30 big ones withought test driving.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's why I got an STI instead of an EVO.

1. Cruise control for road trips and commuting.
2. Power windows.
3. Interior quality, especially those awsome gauges.
4. The subie dealer let me drive it, the mitsu dealer wouldn't.

-Ollie

·
Registered
668 Posts
i don't know why i got the STi... when the WRX came out, i was pretty intent on just getting that... but then i started hearing rumors about a STi version coming out... then I saw the unveiling on MSN Auto and nearly pissed my pants at work... it was love at first sight. :) I was harassing the dealer in Evanston IL about it for all of 2003... finally bought one from them in nov. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
felonious said:

-Ollie
ha, I wonder how many potential sales Mitsu has lost that way. The same thing happend to me, they wouldnt let me drive it and now I have an STi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was lucky enough to have driven both on track and on street before my purchase. Both are very close in terms of performance. A lot of people tend to generalize things a bit too much in saying…”Sti is faster in a straight line” or “EVO has better handling”. To me, the EVO’s handling is not inherently “better” than the STi’s, it just excepts more compromises, stiffer suspension, harsher ride, etc… Although, the EVO will yield a lightly faster time at the track, I just simply cannot accept the compromises that it offers relative to the STi on everyday usage at this price range. Law of diminishing return is particularly applicable here. Just remember, don’t buy cars based solely on car mags’ opinions. Their journalists do not have to live with it day in and day out…they certainly don’t have to flip the bill or take on a loan. Trust your instincts and go with what works for you. Because at the end of the day, very few of us will ever explore 10/10’s of both these very capable vehicles. So once I factored in resale value, ownership experience, fundamental quality, etc... I made my choice, and I've never looked back since.

·
Registered
370 Posts
JoshmkII said:
felonious said:

-Ollie
ha, I wonder how many potential sales Mitsu has lost that way. The same thing happend to me, they wouldnt let me drive it and now I have an STi.
No Subaru dealer has let me drive a STi either. It all depends on the dealer.

As far as comparing the two, they are both very impressive in the performance category. I say, in the hands of an average driver you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in performance, and if you could, it would be a small difference. I personally like the finish of the Subaru. The interior is nicer, I think the body design looks better, and there are other things about it that I just find more attractive than the EVO. But would I be happy with and EVO, yes! But I prefer the Subaru. Basically what I am saying is it comes down to personal preference. Do your research, go sit in the cars, drive them if you can, and make your decision. You shouldn’t have to be convinced to buy a car. You should learn enough about it to make your own decisions. Sorry if this wasn’t much help.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I had an '03 Acura CL Type-S and a '02 BMW 330i prior to me having the STi. I sold both for the STi ... couldn't be happier than a pig in mud ... hehe ...

The Acura had tremendous low end (i.e. V6 SOHC). I still believe the BMW and the Acura have better steering than the STi, no doubt about it... I miss that dead, on-center feeling... I'd bet the Evo VIII will feel that way ...

Why I chose the STi instead of the Evo? The engine. To me it's hard to drive a car with low torque in the bottom low range (<3000). Don't want to be putt-putting around town in 2500 then step on it... wait ... wait ... then it launches hard ... gotta hate the turbo lag ... I believe that's the feeling you get on the Evo. :)

The boxer engine sure sounds better than the inline 4 of the Evo as well.

Interior quality on the STi is also a plus, but not a decisive, determining factor. I do like the carbon fiber wing on the Evo a little better than the STi.

I also hate Altezzas ... If I had and Evo, I'd put the Evo VII tailights ASAP.

This looks so much better...

Oh ... and the Recaro seats are better than the STi's... but they have quality issues (bolsters going flat, seat fabric detaching).

All in all, the STi is a better built car than the Evo IMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
These two cars are awesome. I test drove an EVO briefly before I bought the STI. I guess you may have to drive both cars to their limits in order to tell the difference. All I know is EVO rides a little harsher than the STI. The EVO steering wheel may be a bit sharper. I am not a race driver and I don't think I will ever push them to their limits to tell the difference either.

I bought the STI because:
- it rides better on a daily basis during commute to work to make money for car payment. EVO to me is a second car for track use. But I can only afford one.

- the STI seat fits me better with its height adjustment since I am short.

- STI has a lot less turbo lag.

- estimated good reliability for the STI because my wife has a WRX which is trouble free and I trust subaru more than Mitsu.

Hope you make the right choice.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The STi is better because I own one. Oh yeah. :D Kidding... Familiar interior (for me), more displacement (usually not a big issue for me but the power is readily available), tough 6-speed, nice interior for me.

RN

·
Registered
487 Posts
OEM sub, any good?

The evo sucks that's why, cheap looks, cheap inline 4, cheap turbo lag, absolutely no torque.

Just test drive it, then get in a STi and drive it, I guarantee you'll feel the same.

I guess I'm biased but who cares a little flavor never hurt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got to test drive both and I decided I liked the brute power of the STi over the more delicate feeling Evo. Besides the interior difference, which is huge, and all of the technology advantages in the STi (DCCD + rev indicator), and not having the the word lancer in you eyesight ever time you look at the guages. Also, the mitsu dealers were complete puckering sphincters to me (3 different, unrelated dealerships) and offere me a whole 7000 under what the trade in value on my car was, and still trying to get a piece of their markup, 2 of the 3, in late december no less. I decided that that the subie was better anyways and they also gave me the best deal, not a single thought about ever getting the evo either, i love the STi, it is just so sick

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
STi_Thunder said:
I had an '03 Acura CL Type-S and a '02 BMW 330i prior to me having the STi. I sold both for the STi ...
Please tell me you actually made money on that deal... :-?
No I didn't. In fact I lost some. I HAD to sell them for personal reasons.

·
Registered
119 Posts
lancer just feels like it's cheap that's all....performance wise it's great, but i demand more in a car especially for 30k. i need it to be nice inside....even a cup holder is important...for 30k ur gonna be very demanding. evo's ride is also rough too, and the reliabilities of mitsubishi are bad. i trust subaru more, and it has a more quality feel to it and more technology. i still love the evo though, but those are the reasons i got an sti.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I got a ride in the Evo 8 about a month ago. I did like it. The ride wasn't too bad and the interior didn't suck as bad as the first time I looked at it. The seats are out of this world.

It's not the Evo 8 doesn't have torque, it's just a different torque curve due to a variety of things. If you look at the STi torque curve vs. the Evo torque curve, you'll notice the STi makes a tad more at 3500 RPM. Also don't forget the STi has much more displacement and a totally different engine, which by design seems alot more superior to me.

The things that held me back from buying the Evo are:

1. No cruise control.
2. Lower displacement, more boost.
3. No 6 speed.
4. Heard some bad things about them. (although, the car seems solid)
5. Low end is ok, until boost kicks really bad.

I can get a really good deal on one too, my friend works at the dealer, but I LOVE the STi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
:eek: DAMM....STI has all that??? I just bought it for the way the instrument gauges lites up when you first start the car. :D I hate all these comparisons, it is just what you like.....so be it that I like Subarus!!! If you want to be more technical, if our STIs had a 5-speed or the EVO 8s had a 6-speed, our STIs would be up to 1/2 second quicker. Damm imagine that, with our 6-speed, we are at a disadvantage. :-?
Yeah but with our displacement, the torque is tooo coool!!! 8)
My friends EVO5 with a 2.3L Toda stroker kit kicks ass!!! Talk about torque, way more then my STI. SO I would go with the STI 2.5 displacement over the EVO 8.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
db8NA - why don't you also check out an EVO forum and see what they have to say as well? You know that people here will favor the STi even though both are great cars. I personally just don't like the way the EVO looks. I'd suggest that you do a search instead of posting the age-old question like you did here as you'll probably get a lot less mature response than from here ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.