IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: 2015 WRX/STI Complete Sound Solution: Sub(s) + Amps + Tweeters + Plug & Play

Very unfortunate news for me this weekend. I currently have my car fully apart only to find I was not shipped the subwoofer harness with my kit :(

Overall very impressed with the quality of all the units and wiring that did show up though. I'm sure everything will work out just fine as these guys have great customer service but I would be lying if I said I wasn't bummed the whole kit didn't come together. Not looking forward to using another day off to take apart everything again just to run one set of cables.

Oh well. Hope to hear from the OEM audio team asap so I can enjoy the upgrade like everyone else!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: 2015 WRX/STI Complete Sound Solution: Sub(s) + Amps + Tweeters + Plug & Play

Wanted to update:

Just talked with the guys at OEM Audio and as expected, amazing customer support. Harness will be on the way asap and should be able to finish installation this weekend!

So far so good on the install of all other components as well. Very straight forward and easy with the exception that the rear seat in the STi is slightly different than the WRX. Release tabs are in the front corners of the seat opposed to the underside on the WRX.

Looking forward to getting it all in. Very happy regardless of the hiccup!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Alright finally got my system installed yesterday. Ive had it sitting around for about a month now but life craziness happened and finally had a garage to work in again so it was time to get it put in. Took me about 8-9 hours which 2-3 of that was hang ups that were more my fault than anything with the kit.

First off I was one of the preorders so when I got the kit in they didnt have a video specific to the 2015 yet so in my emails from them they linked me the video for the 2014 installation and said that it was mostly the same which was true for the most part.

the parts that got me really hung up was the running the power lines to the engine bay. I spent close to 1.5-2 hours trying to unsuccessfully run the wire through the sunroof drain hole that they recommend. No matter what I did I couldnt seem to the the wire to where I could actually get it anywhere near the exit hole so I could grab it. Finally I gave up and found a rubber grommet behind the glove box with a large loom of wires running out and cut a small hole with a razor and ran the wires into the engine bay from there, using zip ties to secure it along the firewall and then down to the battery.

it was after this that I actually stumbled across the actual 2015 instruction video they had made since that original email i had received and that made the process easier as I could see it being done on my own car rather than a relatively similar car.

The other hang up I had was when it came to the sub installation. the U clamps that you use to install the side mounting points for the subs. I installed the clip and then could not get the bolt to thread. I was assuming i didnt have it lined up correct but in trying to adjust it repeatedly knocked the clip off, and had to remove the trunk liner again, reinstall the clip and liner and try to thread the bolt in again. After about 5 times knocking the clip off i realized that it wasnt that i didnt have the clip lined up it was that the hole in the car the bolt was supposed to pass through was not large enough to allow the bolt through. So with it all pulled apart i got the bolt just barely started into the hole without the clip installed and used a socket to thread the bolt all the way through the hole. this enlarged the hole enough so that when i reinstalled the clip the next time it threaded easily. Problem solved.

After spending all day on it I was nervous now that everything was back together that I might have missed a step or done something wrong and Id have to pull it all back apart to troubleshoot. But almost to my surprise everything ended up working perfectly.

Went for a 15 min drive after and so far I'm pretty impressed with the sound. I was a little leary that the 8 inch subs would not produce hard enough hitting bass for my taste ( I like really punchy tight base, not the big boomy resonating sound you hear from a lot of peoples setups) But Im very happy with it. As I bought the 500+ dual sub system I'm tempted to remove one and see if I would have been satisfied with the single sub but I probably wont end up getting around to actually testing that.

Also with one point of confusion I had (turns out I had missed the stereo harness part of the adapter in the box) I gave Daniel at oem audio plus a call and even though he was at a family event on a sunday he helped me out and when i sent him the pictures he was able to get me straightened out right away. Thanks Daniel.

So in summary. Took a little longer than it probably should have but got it done and while I haven't had a huge amount of time to listen to it yet I'm very pleased with what I've heard so far!

·
Registered
118 Posts

mine sounds better everyday... congrats on finishing the install. i still havent bracketed my subwoofers in yet.. no time and waiting for the quick release bracket for them to ship out. make sure the bass enhancer is off and all settings are zeroed out. the hidden menu has some good additions that make it sound even better. loudness can be turned on.. hold 1 and 6 down and use tuner button to toggle between on and off. there is a video on you tube on the hidden menus. and another one called pass through.. i think that is what it is called also makes it sound better imho

·
Registered
9 Posts

In line with the other posts on 8-9 hours to install. Thought mode is a MUST, even if you have just the stock setup. With the head unit off, press 1 &4 and depress the upper right button simultaneously. The clips for the sub bracket do want to slip out of place. I used an awl on both sides and just left them there until ready to install the bracket. System sounds great!

·
Registered
11 Posts

If i was doing it again it would only take me probably 5. the extra time was from those hiccups i ran into along with this being the first time taking this particular cars interior apart. I do have a fair amount of stereo installation experience. Probably put in about 8 systems between friends cars and my own. With no previous experience its definitely doable, don't be afraid to give installing it a shot, but plan on it taking 9-10 hours total.

·
Registered
9 Posts

So a quick update. System 500+ continues to impress.

I've done two things to pass along. I stuffed the subwoofer boxes with about 7-8 oz. of fiber fill to extend the base response. This has worked very well and is a simple and inexpensive improvement. Second, my impression was the very high tones were bouncing off the windshield from the tweeters and sounded as if there was some ringing. Took a piece of mass loaded vinyl and cut it to fit under the tweeter cover on the dash. I initially used it to cover the openings into the dash round the tweeters but it additionally stopped the high pitch ringing or tinny sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Ordered a 500+ a week ago but just now noticed that it may not be compatible with my non-nav HK setup? Ive tried emailing but no answer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·

Ordered a 500+ a week ago but just now noticed that it may not be compatible with my non-nav HK setup? Ive tried emailing but no answer.

Hey KirkMKIV, Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. We truly apologize if we have missed your message and failed to contact you. Please send us a PM with a phone number we can reach you at, availability to chat and we'll have one of our System Integration managers contact you ASAP today.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey KirkMKIV, Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. We truly apologize if we have missed your message and failed to contact you. Please send us a PM with a phone number we can reach you at, availability to chat and we'll have one of our System Integration managers contact you ASAP today.
Spoke with Daniel today and he helped me, thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts

Any pictures you could provide me with the painted sub enclosure in wrb? Do you use the paint code to paint the fiberglass or just some generic color? It's a lot of extra money if the paint doesn't match. Is there any additional wait time for a painted enclosure? Pm me with details please.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·

Any pictures you could provide me with the painted sub enclosure in wrb?

Here is our Quick reply @rallyracersti (We'll put something together more thorough by the end of the day). We use the same paint paint process used on the exterior of your vehicle (color code: K7X). Five step paint process: Primer, Base, Pearl, Clear and buffing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423340302.408905.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423340479.020167.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423340511.188394.jpg

·
Registered
740 Posts

Thank you for the quick response. Color looks fantastic.any additional time for painting the sub box?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

Color-match enclosure are painted-to-order. Typically a 7-14 day lead-time

·
Registered
1 Posts

I couldn't find the answer to these two questions.

1) How do these sound with the stock head unit (non-nav/non-H/K)? Is there a major difference between stock and aftermarket HU's?

2) What if I want to change my head unit after ordering this? Is there a way to retune the system?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

How do these sound with the stock head unit (non-nav/non-H/K)?

What if I want to change my head unit after ordering this? Is there a way to retune the system?

Most of the above reviews (correct me if I'm wrong) are with the stock (non-NAV) head unit. This is precisely the intent of O+; experience premium, unmatched sound reproduction without having to change your head unit, sound deadening and so forth.

However if you decide to change your head unit in the future (for features or an interface that you like better), not a problem. It's just a matter of sending your O+ DSP amplifier back to O+ for retuning. A service we offer gratis.

Let us know if any additional questions or requests @arijfroo!!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Finally had the time to review this product. I've posted my review over in the 2015 specific Interior forum. Thanks again @OEMAudioPlus.com I'm enjoying this product more and more every day.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Question for OEM Audio+:

Would you be open to just selling two subs and amps as an add-on to the HK system? How would that work with your system?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·

Would you be open to just selling two subs and amps as an add-on to the HK system? How would that work with your system?
Thank you for your question!! We are determining the compatibility / options for the HK equipped STI/WRXs. We'll be documenting this process and be sure to provide our finds on this thread within the next 7 days.

Imag, PM us your contact info (primarily location). If we can provide you with an answer and solution sooner - We will!

101 - 120 of 150 Posts