IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts? Im sure most of you STi owners here looked at the WRX too, what made you buy the STi? I can decide if i want to go all out and buy the STi, or pay less and hook up the WRX real nice... It does have some features i like a lot better, and i do like the interior slightly better...

Any thoughts?

T

·
0 Posts
The STi is just that much more powerful and fun to drive. The WRX is still a good car but a bit more tame. Depends on how much fun you want for the bang. The STi is pure performance and it shows when driving.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:roll: I KNOW the sti is a wrx, lol... I know that the wrx would attract less attention from cops and such, but if i got it, i would have more money for things that DO attract attention... Hm... I do love that Sti though, after the test drive i fell in love! :D I do hope those seats loosen up a little though, jesus they were rock hard! lol

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Things the STi has over the regular WRX:
300HP and 300 ft/lb torque
Brembo brakes
Forged alloy rims (lilghter)
Driver controlled variable differential (if you have to ask, you'll probably never use it)
6-speed transmisson
Pseudo factory body kit (lip kit)
HID headlights
Upgraded suspension
. . . and a few other features

Things the standard WRX has over STi:
More colors to choose from
Sedan OR wagon configuration
Rear seat pass-through from trunk
Stereo as standard equipment
Nicer steering wheel (very subjective, but seems to be the concensus)
All-black/grey interior. . . if blue/black isn't your thing
Smaller wing (or none at all) for better visibility out the back, if that's important to you
More low-key on the street than it's burly brother, less unwanted attention
Sunroof as an option
More mods already on the market / easier to locate / some cheaper than STi mods

Remember, at 227 HP, the base WRX is still a force to be reckoned with. With a few thousand dollars it can be made quicker and handle better. . . and still cost less than the STi. Really depends on your plans for the car.

Bottom line:
WRX is a better daily driver
WRX has more creature comfort options
STi is all about performance
STi really needs no mods
WRX costs several thousand less off the lot

Just need to figure out what's really important to you. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Never considered any Subaru model before the STi was announced. Though I think the WRX is one the best value on the market as long as you don't load it up with too many options.

Yukonart, nice break down of the pros and cons.

Dan

·
Registered
542 Posts
Even when the WRX was introduced, I never gave it a second thought, but when I heard about the 300hp/300lb tq..... plus the new fascia on the STI, I was really impressed. Pretty much, the word "STI" won me over. 8)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Vader-

Nice to see you made it from AV6 land to STi land :lol:

The two big selling points of the STi for me was:

1)The 2.5 liter engine making 300 Ib-ft. at 3,500 RMPs. Coming from a Honda I wanted something with alot of torque - instant power once I mash the throttle. The other car I was looking at was a Cobra. Alot of the modded WRX cars i see make big peak HP but are still very laggy down low which is where we do most of our driving on the streets.

2)The beefed up tranmission on the STi is priceless. I have heard many problems of the stock clutch and tranny on the WRX is not up to the task once HP exceeds 300HP.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
STi = BMW M3 equivalent
WRX = BMW 330 equivalent..
Make your choice...
I vote STi, since there are much less STis on the road, so u get exclusivity, plus 300/300... :)
Both choices are great though..

·
Registered
949 Posts
i came looking for the sti, then when i saw how devalued my trade was due to high miles, (83500 on a 2k2) the salesman recommended a used wrx to me.
specifically an 04 wrx with premium package, lojack, addt'l alarm, and tints and about 4000 miles on it.
i asked "who buys an 04 loaded wrx and trades it in after only 4k miles?"
salesman said "the guy who wants an sti!"

a week later i left in a white/silver sti....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good seeing you too DVTURK! It was actually you that got me started with the idea of getting an STI. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Anyways, other selling points included the price of the STI in comparisons to a 350Z track model. Different cars altogether but for the STI has a lesser price & better performance. STI obviously, is a better deal.... Brembos, more HP/TQ....etc.... :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
don't underestimate a wrx, it has too much potential to run faster than a STi.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I suggest going to test drive both. I could spend some time telling you how much better the STi is, but there will be no need to after you try one. I traded in my WRX for an STi, and the 2 are night and day. The only thing these cars have in common is appearance :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chrisfx811 said:
i came looking for the sti, then when i saw how devalued my trade was due to high miles, (83500 on a 2k2) the salesman recommended a used wrx to me.
specifically an 04 wrx with premium package, lojack, addt'l alarm, and tints and about 4000 miles on it.
i asked "who buys an 04 loaded wrx and trades it in after only 4k miles?"
salesman said "the guy who wants an sti!"

a week later i left in a white/silver sti....

Thats a classic story man... very. yea im thinking sti, definately, all i need is to start saving for my down payment!

Oh and about testing the WRX and the Sti, i already test drove the Sti, and i think driving the Wrx after it would make it seem slow, lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
Originally, I was planning on buying the WRX. I test drove it and liked it, almost bought it. Then I saw the STi in the show room, and asked the salesmen, "What the hell is that?". To make a long story short, I was driving the STi home a few weeks later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts