IW STi Forum banner

WRX Kartboy Short Shifter vs. STI 6 Speed

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CloNeGTS 
#1 ·
At present I own a WRX with the Kartboy short shifter and bushings. I was very pleased with it over the stock shifter in the WRX. Of you new STI owners, have any of you gone from the Kartboy setup to the STI 6 speed. How did the length of throw change? Is it even notchier now on the 6 speed?

-Lance

#2 ·
kartboy shift lever is incompatable with the 6mt.

the STi comes stock with a short shift linkage, so it's not really needed, unless you really enjoy that extra reach for the shifter.

not sure about bushings, i think the tranny is a little mushy and could use a little firming up, but that's just my opinion.

#4 ·
bi11y said:
i am confused about a couple of things:

what is the point of the bushings, what do they do exactly?
I think it would be in your best interest to spend some time reading at the site below juding by how many threads you have posted questions. :) No slam, just read up a bit and learn before asking about so many different topics. Go here and type in transmission bushings (or anything else you are curious about) in the search box.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

#5 ·
I didn't plan to move the Kartboy SS to the STI due to the different linkages on it. I am curious if anyone has driven with a Kartboy in the past and now drives an STI. How is the feel in the STI?

Sakura-iro: Are you saying the shifter in the STI is "mushy"?

-Lance

#7 ·
i feel like it could be a little more positive. i had an STi shortshifter in my old WRX and it felt a little firmer.

don't take my word for it though, feel is a pretty subjective thing, find one and try it for yourself.

also i should say that it's "mushy" compared to my ideal, next to 90% of the cars i've driven it's fantastic.

#8 ·
I'm ready for someone to come out with a shortened shifter for this thing. I'm used to a REAL short shifter (as in the entire lever is maybe 5" long) and driving the STi for the first day....damn, I felt like I was driving a truck with one of those curly-straw looking shifters!

#9 ·
why would you want a shorter shift lever?

i've always felt that it's better to have the shifter as close to the steering wheel as possible, minimizing the time your hand is off the wheel. look at any race car, there's always an effort made to get the shifter as close to the wheel as possible.

i like the idea of cobb's short shift lever for the wrx, where both the throw and the height is adjustible. maybe they'll make something for the STi.

#10 ·
I want it shorter because I'm not driving a truck! This shifter (and I am getting used to it now) is huge by sport compact standards. The stock shifter in my Celica was shorter than this. The shifter I have now requires no hand movement, just the rotation of the wrist more or less.

It's not for the speed, just the movement required. And with a shorter level, there isn't as much sloppy play in it.

Just my personal preference.....it really would be a 'feel' mod, not a performance one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.