IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im getting cp pistons dropped in my gr and my builder suggest getting my block painted wrinkle red.. has anyone else done this? if so please post a picture:tup:

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Why? Have you notice how little of the engine you can see when it's installed?
You can see a good little bit of it.

It would look cool, but might be a little to red. There was someone who painted theirs blue and it looked pretty cool.

slackin via taptalk

·
Banned
70 Posts
so im getting cp pistons dropped in my gr and my builder suggest getting my block painted wrinkle red.. has anyone else done this? if so please post a picture:tup:
I would highly recommend against it. We powder coat some of our engines because it provides for easy clean up. Wrinkle coating will be just the opposite.

Also when you powder coat a block there is about 3 to 4 hours of cleaning and chasing threads so be ready for that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would highly recommend against it. We powder coat some of our engines because it provides for easy clean up. Wrinkle coating will be just the opposite.

Also when you powder coat a block there is about 3 to 4 hours of cleaning and chasing threads so be ready for that.
I completely disagree with your statement. How dirty does the stock Crinkle Red Manifold get?? Well, it doesn't get dirty (if you car has the all the stock splash panel, hood air diverter, etc.). Whatever dirt it does have is hardly visible.
Also, why waste 3 to 4 hours cleaning and chasing when you can spend 1 hour to no more than 2 hours masking, capping and plugging.... you need to find a new powder coating shop.

Go for it. I've seen it done to a Honda K series engine and it looked great. I don't have pictures of that but this is the blue EJ mentioned

·
Banned
70 Posts
I completely disagree with your statement. How dirty does the stock Crinkle Red Manifold get?? Well, it doesn't get dirty (if you car has the all the stock splash panel, hood air diverter, etc.). Whatever dirt it does have is hardly visible.
Also, why waste 3 to 4 hours cleaning and chasing when you can spend 1 hour to no more than 2 hours masking, capping and plugging.... you need to find a new powder coating shop.
The crinkle red manifold isn't down by all the evap hoses etc. Anytime you create a textured surface instead of a smooth surface you are going to trap more dirt. The smooth surface of a powder coat job is really easy to keep clean, like I said thats why we do it on our race engines.

We plug some holes, come are better off being chased. I don't let our powder coater tape off anything. Its blasted and taped before it leaves our shop most of the time.

We chase threads and bevel the edges of the block all by hand because its the right thing to do before you assemble a engine.

We are very detail oriented and I understand that some people or shops aren't or they just don't want to spend the time, but that's the way we do things and it works very well for us.

Matt
Ball Racing
Ball Racing Engine Development

1 - 9 of 9 Posts