IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just threw em on tonight. The wheels....very nice for the price. They look awefully small for some reason...must be the all season tires. Tires are 225/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S from Tire Rack.

One BBS with one Rota...to show the obvious similiarities.

One to show the space to the caliper....even larger than the BBSs.

Upclose....still without the center caps on.

Both Rotas on this time.

Center caps on...although hard to see.

There we go....center caps in. Nice looking.

Overall....very nice for the price. A word of advice to all... DON'T TAKE THE STOCK TIRES FOR GRANTED!!!. Granted these are not Azenis or another high performance summer tire, but the car is COMPLETELY different without the RE070s on the car. I am blow away by the difference. 50% of the car's handling is the tires....cherish it while you have it or make plans to have a serious replacement. A "Ultra High Performance All Season" sure isn't the equivalent. Not to say the Pirelli won't be a good tire for what it is, but we are blessed with a hard core tire from the get go and it's actually nice to see how much of what we are used to is the tire and what is the suspension.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hehe or go wider ;) worked pretty good for me, you should try some 245/40 or 255/40. protect your rims and give you good handling, although the compound definitely is missing. Treadware jumped about 100-140 points tho :) Sweet rims btw

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't think wider has anything to do with it...in fact, might make it worse. Without the stiff sidewall and strong block construction at the edge of the tire, the tire has no choice but to roll. The RE070s are a heavy tire for a very good reason...they have a lot of tough rubber right where they need it.

It may be the pressures I'm starting with as well....but from first experience, I can't wait for spring to roll around!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hmm im having good success with my kuhmos and dont notice any handling drop. well good luck with your projects and that loosk swweet!

Robert~

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes!!! the possibility of STi with 16" fitting over bre

Yeah....I'm not too sure what's up with the tires. I've read amazing reports on them, saying they are a great autox tire, comparing them with Toyo TS-1s and S-03s! I must be doing something wrong.....

All this is based on a short run to the gas station for air, so we'll see what's up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would definitely like to hear back after you've driven on them a few days and got a little more used to them. This is the exact same combination I am considering, so I'm very eager to hear reports and opinions.

Randy

·
Registered
362 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Yeah....I'm not too sure what's up with the tires. I've read amazing reports on them, saying they are a great autox tire, comparing them with Toyo TS-1s and S-03s! I must be doing something wrong.....

All this is based on a short run to the gas station for air, so we'll see what's up.
CloneGTS,

Any updates on how you like the tires? I need a set for winter months but don't want dedicated "Winter Tires". I live in MI so we do get a fair amount of snow.

Thanks,

Brian

G

·
Keep in mind that a M+S tire does not constitute a "real" snow tire, so if you plan lots of driving in snow look for the mountain and snow flake emblem. The M+S tire is for occasional light snow and mud driving. At least that's what I get from all the research I've done in the last couple weeks on tires. Funny how just a couple weeks ago I knew nothing about tires and now am almost an expert haha.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
bcristea, If you live in MI I would definitely get a full snow tire. I live by Chicago and go up to MI for the holidays and I am getting a full snow tire.

I don't understand why people are so worried about performance during the winter, with the cold temps and dry salt all over the roads you are not going to be able to push the car anyway. Around here they keep the roads salted pretty good so we don't have to worry about a lot of snow but all the dry, crystalized salt on the roads it's almost like a fine layer of sand. If you are going to go through the trouble of getting another set of wheels and tires for winter you might as well get snow tires.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...yeah, things seem to be settling in a little. Played with the pressures and they aren't as bad as I first thought. Just need to get em a little broken in. I was wondering if maybe there wasn't some initial mold release agent on the tread that was giving the slick feeling.

Regarding performance in the winter.....it's not a matter of 'cold track vs. hot track' performance, it's a matter of "too damn soft snow tread vs. performance tread that will do snow once in a while." In the Midwest, we get snow a few times a winter, but usually nothing more than a few inches at a time. If there's that much snow....it's a matter of letting the SUVs and mudding trucks knock down the worst of it and then get around.

I'm not looking to set fast laps in the winter, but I also don't want to be squelling my tires around every 35 MPH corner just because it might snow. You wouldn't carry around a winter coat in Phoenix...you'd carry around a light jacket for the chilly nights. For that same reason, I want a tire that can handle a little snow should it come, but otherwise I want as much performance as a tire will give me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
bcristea, If you live in MI I would definitely get a full snow tire. I live by Chicago and go up to MI for the holidays and I am getting a full snow tire.

I guess the issue is that we may have some good snow days but on the other hand there are alot of dry days. It snows, they plow and the roads are clear. Granted I do get out in the snow before they plow to get to work.

Its always hard to judge when to take the winter tires off. We could have snow from Nov-April. Thats 6month of driving on dedicated Snow tires.

Last year I drove my RE92's in Winter and they were fine for me. There's plenty of time to drive agressive in the summer so I take it easy in the Winter. Thats why I was thinking of All Season tires.

Still debating,

Brian

·
Registered
362 Posts
One card short of a full deck

CloNeGTS: Those are my thoughts exactly!

I've actually never owned a set of Winter tires and I've lived in MI my whole life except 2 years in Germany where I did have a set of steel wheels with Winter tires.

So, from you post I take it the Pirelli's are ok?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STi vs 350Z

I haven't really made any decision on the Pirellis yet. I need to get them out and really scrub them up before I can make any judgement.

Initial thoughts though.....the stiff sidewalls of the RE070s will be sorely missed. :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
staticx313 said:
hehe or go wider ;) worked pretty good for me, you should try some 245/40 or 255/40. protect your rims and give you good handling, although the compound definitely is missing. Treadware jumped about 100-140 points tho :) Sweet rims btw

Robert~
Isn't the minimum recommended wheel width for these sizes 8"? What about just running 235/45s instead, I'm thinking of the ContiExtreme Contact in this size because it looks like this size is not available for the Nero.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't see why people go throwing on wider-than-recommended tires on wheels for street use. When you get into a tire with serious sidewall construction, like Azenis or all out race rubber...yeah, then it's standard practice to go wider.

With tires like these all seasons, the sidewall construction is not like the Azenis/RE070s. You want to put the right size on, otherwise all you are doing is leaving more tire to slosh back and forth on under cornering.

The 225/45/17 Neros fit perfect. Use that size for any all season/winter tire on stock size rims.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Black sti in Stamford

Rob/CloneGTS:

Thanks for the pics and good info. I ordered a set of the same rims in silver. They look better than I thought they would.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Maybe it's the photo, but I am thinking ...
"wow, that looks good.... just like the stock BBS rims."

Does it look much different from the stock??

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To most people, they wouldn't even notice. But yeah, the Tarmacs are very P1 looking, referring to the Prodrive wheels which I just love. The spokes are thinner, curve out more, and the color is actually a shade lighter. These actually look gold while the BBSs almost look bronze in comparison.

All in all, they are very similar. But for the price, I'd rather have these going through the snow and getting cone marks on them instead of those nice BBSs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Clone,
The wheels look sweet. I may have to come over and take a look.
Also how much damage did you do by lifting the car by the center of the body seam?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts