IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man... where do i start. I finally (after a month) got my "cobalt blue" dual stage bov in with loud bov ring and blockoff plate. If you want the full story about why im PISSED at the company, you can PM me, as for the BOV... Ok. Finally. A Bov. I'd been waiting for one of these for a while. I open the package and what do i see... a dual stage worx tuning BOV... its not cobalt blue (dark blue) its like a baby blue *therefore doesnt match anything in my engine bay*... im like wtf.... o well, least it should still sound good. I start off with the BOV in 100% mode (since it has the block off plate and what not). woohoo i go to drive and... whenever i give it gas and let off it seems to do something like "backfire"... not really that loud or that violent, but like a sudden deceleration (like the car even jerks when you try to shift into the next gear as if it has to catch up or something... i guess its trying to stall or i dun know... i dont see any extra exhaust smoke so i didnt think it was THAT rich). Well this sucks... so I go home and get the freaking stock extension to run it 50/50 mode. HOLY CRAP the loud BOV ring wont even budge... it took like 4 hands to get it to move. Not only that, but none of the positions even seem to lock into place... they just slow move to each spot and get stuck there... almost permanently. FINE whatever... 50/50 finally. I go out and all is ok. But now for some reason i get that same problem i had in 100% mode only when im giving it gas for a sec... like if im in 3rd and i run it up to 3-4.5k and let off ... very annoying and kinda jerky. So now im going to just try 100% recirc and see waht the heck the problem is. Man I dont think i've ever been so mad (especially the way I was treated) or have had such a dissapointing review. Do I have any + remarks you ask? The sound is kinda cool, if you dont mind your exhaust sounding like you just dropped 2krpms instantly every now and then. That and if you dont mind some more PTFB problems. Wow... what the hell happened worx?

Robert~

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Hey static, please post your comments. If you do not keep the public informed, than how will others avoid giving them business, which is especially important if their customer service is severely lacking.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
sorry to hear that bro =(

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Might I throw a little caution to the wind.....

First, just going and changing BOV settings without having a reason for doing so isn't a great idea. Unless you have engine management that is going to somehow account for venting to atmos, I wouldn't be trying that. MAFS cars aren't used to counting on air being in the cylinders and having a fraction of that air not make it into the chambers.

Second, if there really might be something wrong with the thing....TAKE IT OFF NOW! Some of the actions are you are describing don't sound good. Remember that this part is a major protection piece for that expensive turbo and if that part isn't being used properly or if it's just downright not doing it's job, you could have a major problem on your hands.

Please don't take this the wrong way Robert because I love ya man.....but if you really aren't sure what you're doing, I'd ask first and try later. I'd hate to hear that something went wrong during a trial run. I can't tell you exactly what was causing the near-stall condition you are describing, but I would have crawled that baby home, taken that thing off the car and been asking WTF well before I tried it again.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ok, good points. Im going to post my experience with worxtuning ... but i really need to figure out this BOV issue. I place my order on 1/2/2004. I ask them when shall I receive the bov... "it should go out friday" they tell me. (1/2/2004 is a friday, but they meant next friday (1/9/2004) as I asked during the next week). So no big deal... I wait til that weekend. No bov by middle of next week (~1/14/2004)... I email them and ask where my bov is... they tell me its going to be going out that friday (1/16/2004) and that they were just backed up on orders... no big deal as it was the holidays. Well the weekend goes by, middle of next week comes and still no bov ... now im not mad yet, but getting kinda irritated. I email them again (~1/21/2004). Im now in the middle of this car audio install and am short the cash to make it all work, so I tell them that if it doesnt go out by thursday just refund my order (NO negotiations)... They then tell me that Im on a list for the BOV to go out thursday... I think ok... then I think... then why the hell did they play me on as if it was going to go out two weeks ago. They're either lying about me being on a list or they lied the two previous times I asked them. Now im getting mad. Fine. Ship it out thursday. Does it go out... NO. I email them again to just refund my order. Will they? NO. They said it was shipped friday... WAS IT? NO. They sent me a tracking #, I guess assuming i'd just think o hey its a tracking # it must have gotten shipped. I look up the tracking # and it STILL HASNT BEEN SHIPPED, they just sent in the billing information. Now Im getting pissed. As #1 they wont refund my order and I needed the cash badly... #2 they wont stop lying to me. MONDAY (1/26/2004) it finally goes out and arrives here friday (1/30/2004). Then... not only am I pissed off at them right now, the bov looks gay and doesnt even work properly. I havent had such a bad experience with a company in all my life man. It really made me mad. So now what? What if the BOV doesnt work correctly... they wouldnt refund my order before , I doubt they'd do it now... man... talk about annoying.

Clone- Dont worry man, criticizing someone is helpful at times and pointing out stuff like that is too. I dont hold anything against ya man ;) cause everything you said is 100%. My problem is... what do I do now? 90% of the times I emailed worx they wouldnt answer and now I dont even know how im supposed to test the bov to make sure it works properly. I ran it in 100% mode, then 50/50 mode, jsut to see if it was the bov or if something was leaking. Im going to try 100% recirculation and just see if the fuel mixture was out of wack. If so I guess I will just try selling the BOV and try to make back that $250 or however much it costs. also... I have been taking it easy. Dont worry im not stupid... but if something isnt working correctly, I gotta find out why, its a pet peeve I guess. As I dont know how to get a "Warranty refund" or whatnot. I knew something wasnt right, so I wasnt like flooring it everywhere or anything. Also since 50/50 was a LOT better then 100% atmospheric... Im guessing its just the extra fuel w/o the air. Kinda sucks though, as their regular dual stage with regular BOV ring worked fine and gforced is enjoying it now. :( Man this is a big suck. Any more help or info will be great.

Robert~

·
Registered
575 Posts
Worx should happily take it back if it doesnt work and there is no need for you to resell to someone else, they should deal with that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
that really sucks man. i have heard nothing bad about turboxs RFL (not even problems with idle or stalling), so i think that is the one i would suggest, and that is the one that i'll be getting. just an idea.

Kyle R

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya ... my problem is , is why this one? I owned a previous dual stage BOV from worx and it did fine, but I wanted it to be a little louder (so I got their "LOUD BOV ring edition"... guess when you start modding more factors come into play (as i didnt have EBC/Downpipe/etc)... anyways... I put the BOV in 100% recirculation mode and everything runs fine. It seems MUCH faster... so I dont know whats up, but man.. cars just seem to fall behind 10x faster for some reason. You can hear the BOV pretty loud too.. thank goodness. I might try the 25/75 setting later on or something, but for now, the turbo is louder, the bov sound is louder, no compressor surge, funky exhaust noises, etc... so it was probably just the AF ratio getting to rich. If anyone has any ideas please lmk. As for the RFL.. I've heard people say they didnt have boost creep when they had theirs on... that might sound good but that probably meant that it was leaking or something... either way, Im satisfied with the worx as it is still running the stock settings and makes a pretty good sound and performance seems to be up... thanks everyone.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey Robert....sorry man i feel for you...xxtuning.com just got a new bov designed for the STI....i've seen it...touched it...even turned the adjustment...and it's a nice blue....check out that site or call them..860-513-1044....ask for dan or chris tell em Mark from R.I. sent ya...they'll treat you good and wont avoid any problems with you(if you have any!) They have treated me great and i wont go anywhere else. Peace

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm sounds interesting :) I will definitely look into it.

edit:... wow $330 :( thats kinda depressing. I cant spend another bit like that for a while.

Robert~

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey StaticX,

Is the BOV even compatible with a subaru (ie: does it have a recirulation circuit?) If not you'll go through hel! trying to get it to idle correctly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmmm, I have a TurboXS RFL, which bents to atm 100%. I've never noticed any idling issue. The car idles fine at 750RPM.

It does get more sensitive to throttle lift-off as StaticX described. With stock parts, it was not all that pronounced, but after a downpipe, an intake and a few more, the lift-off sensitivity became somewhat exaggerated...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stock STi - 1/4 mile

Antimullet said:
Hey StaticX,

Is the BOV even compatible with a subaru (ie: does it have a recirulation circuit?) If not you'll go through hel! trying to get it to idle correctly.
in 100% atmospheric or any setting, it idled fine... my only problem was on acceleration. It has the recirculation valve. You just bolt on the stock subaru one on and start adjusting.

Robert~

·
Registered
167 Posts
Staticx,
Its a spring activated bov right? I would guess your leaking boost (hence the richness/backfire). Do they have a stiffer spring available you can try?
I'd be willing to bet the problem is related to the metered air escaping like we discussed before, I'd bet if its leaking a stiffer spring would help. But like you said, stock it might not be a big deal, with mods its probably more of an issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Static,

You should take off the allen screws at the top of the bov and place the spring on different settings (grooves). I think it's got 4 or 5 settings. Start with the lowest and work your way up. Also check to make sure the shaft is lubed up properly.

Also, there's supposed to be a break in period of a week. Maybe with some wear things will improve.

I've had the Worx BOV on my STi for ~4 months and it runs perfectly.

Regardless, I would give Mike or someone at worxtuning a call. They are very helpful people. Don't e-mail them since their e-mail system seems to have a couple of bugs in it at the moment. Leave them a viocemessage with your number and they should call you back, if they're not in. I'm sure this can be resolved with direct communication.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blueballs said:
Static,

You should take off the allen screws at the top of the bov and place the spring on different settings (grooves). I think it's got 4 or 5 settings. Start with the lowest and work your way up. Also check to make sure the shaft is lubed up properly.

Also, there's supposed to be a break in period of a week. Maybe with some wear things will improve.

I've had the Worx BOV on my STi for ~4 months and it runs perfectly.

Regardless, I would give Mike or someone at worxtuning a call. They are very helpful people. Don't e-mail them since their e-mail system seems to have a couple of bugs in it at the moment. Leave them a viocemessage with your number and they should call you back, if they're not in. I'm sure this can be resolved with direct communication.
How will adjusting the spring help my running rich situation? I mean.. you're still releasing the same amount of air... just at a different pressure, rather then really often (as now it opens all the time almost in 100% recirc).

Robert~

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, if it is on too loosely, then you may be leaking some air which will 1) Make you run rich and 2) the turbo will not be spooled like it should which will cause a feeling of lost deceleration when you let off the gas or switch gears. Inside the BOV there are 4 or 5 notches that you place the spring in. Try the lowest one (weakest spring setting) and work your way up until that feeling goes away.

I'm not 100% sure of what you're describing, but it kinda sounds like the turbo had to respool up to make boost.

Hmm....Like the stock Recirc. Valve routes the air back and it flows through the turbo after you let off the gas. This keeps the turbo spinning so when you get back on the gas, it won't have to respool back up = better accel. If you are either releasing pressure too soon, leaking boost, or venting too much to the atmosphere, the air that is recirculated back (if any) is not enough to keep the turbo properly spooled, so when you get on the gas, it feels like you lost power since you won't be boosting for a longer time. That's my interpretation of what you're feeling.

Either way, CALL Worx. They're very friendly over the phone. On NASIOC, they've been saying that their e-mail system is not working properly.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all your help. That makes a lot of sense :)!! Also... it wasnt the fact that they werent answering emails, they were just not answering me (another words either lying or beating around the bush). If I have problems after this I will call them, but for now Im just goin to try the spring settings. Thanks! Also... what would be best for the spring settings? (like how do you know what is good and what isnt.) Im sure that it wont take the stiffest spring to get it to work normally (i hope), but then can i actually get the spring too stiff? thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
176 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure it won't take the stiffest spring setting to make it work right. I have the older spring by Worx tuning. I know they had some problems with their supplier on a batch of springs. Their spring constant was different. I am not sure what spring you have, but mine is on the second spring notch from the bottom at 50% atmospheric BOV and it works fine. I'd take the spring and start from the bottom and go WOT between gears and see which spring setting gives you the best throttle response after you shift. I am guessing it will be the second from the bottom or around that point since most stock (or bolt on STi's) are running it at that tension. Just mess around with the settings.

Hey, how do you like the loud BOV ring compared to the normal one? I may be getting that if it makes a difference in the sound level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts