IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to say I've missed you guys. It's been HELL around my world lately. What started as an outpatient back surgery turned into a second surgery which turned into meningitis and a week long hospital stay.

Just got out of the hospital yesterday. Still pretty much stuck sitting on my ass from the back surgery, but I have to visit the ER every morning and night to keep getting IV antibiotics to finish off the meningitis.

Anyway....it's good to be back (kinda).....I really missed you guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice to have you back!

Take care of yourself and don't mess around with the anti-biotics. Take them for exactly however long you will need to (once you switch to orals...)

Meningitis sucks big time...

Get well!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't look like I have what you would consider a typical infection. My initial back surgery was for a ruptured disc and during the repair, the dura (sack around spinal column, holds spinal fluid) was nicked. He stitched it to no avail. So...then the fluid starts leaking, it's pouring out of my back, and of course my entire system is open to this new incision......which is where the infection came from.

It's really only meningitis by the fact that the infection was in the spinal fluid. They never got a culture to grow....so it wasn't anything big. It's kinda like comparing a 10 yr old to a hacker. A hacker is bad, but if you let a 10 yr old mess around with the main frame, all hell will still break loose.

Should be done with the ABs when the IVs are done. The infection was pretty much killed by Friday, but they always run you 10-14 days on the big dawg ABs with meningitis....just so it doesn't come back and bite you in the ass later.

Ugh.......

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Get well soon. :)

At least they caught it early enough to start treating it ASAP. Meningitis can become VERY serious if left untreated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hate hospitals. I know what you feel like Clone. My grandfather was hospitalized 2 months ago for a week before he passed away. So i basically lived in a hospital for a week. It sucked. My grandmother was hospitalized last Tuesday and she passed away at 6:00 a.m. yesterday(monday) morning. So i have been in a hospital WAY MORE than i wanted to be the last 2 months. I didn't have to get a back surgery and i didn't get meningitis but losing 2 grandparents in 2 months is pretty bad too. Sounds like we both need to take a vacation. Glad you're not dead and posting again.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A moment of silence... Possum Bourne dies

Thanks for the well wishes guys. It certainly is another world inside those walls, X. The world just seems to stop when you are that helpless and out of it. You're just praying they can find something to make the pain go away and that they can figure out what it happening to you.

S

·
0 Posts
I can really sympathize with the back pain problem. I will pray that you recover quickly.

I have found Vicodin helps, but it does not keep its effectiveness for long, so be VERY careful not to acquire a habit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I guess you haven't been eating your apples? But seriously folks, I'm glad you're recovering and hope you back to normal again soon.
P.S. Don't take Codeine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been on codeine since Jan or so as needed. Got pretty hooked on it for a while, but not I just need it for pain now and then.

Hell, in the hospital I have morphene, vicodin....you name it. Worst part was none of it really helped the headaches from the meningitis. I've never known such pain....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts