IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only about 15% of people fight their traffic tickets, most of those are speeding which are the hardest to fight.

I downloaded ~100,000 Orange and Brevard county, Florida traffic cases, their outcomes, who the officers were, etc. I did some data mining on the data set and made a site (CaseGuide) that provides prefilled out forms and statistics about beating Florida traffic tickets. Eventually I plan to roll it out nationwide.

What would you want to know to be assured you can do it yourself and that it it's worth it?

What % chance would you need of beating it to make it worth it?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Only about 15% of people fight their traffic tickets, most of those are speeding which are the hardest to fight.

I downloaded ~100,000 Orange and Brevard county, Florida traffic cases, their outcomes, who the officers were, etc. I did some data mining on the data set and made a site (CaseGuide) that provides prefilled out forms and statistics about beating Florida traffic tickets. Eventually I plan to roll it out nationwide.

What would you want to know to be assured you can do it yourself and that it it's worth it?

What % chance would you need of beating it to make it worth it?
Don’t speed.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I've previously been informed by Fla resident that they don't give drivers speeding tickets in Fla. I rate Fla driving more dangerous than most places I've driven with half the cars traveling less sometimes far less and half the cars traveling over often far over the limit and a higher percentage than I am used to doing it aggressively. Where i live in NJ few people drive under the limit. and 8 over is a norm Quite a few drive much faster, especially on toll roads. I live on a highway where ticketing is common and I've been told by the police they begin to ticket at 13 over.

This is my response to don't speed. I believe if safest traveling at the same rate as traffic, and except in a traffic jam, that is rarely below the speed limit. Safety is my first concern and it unfortunate when avoidance of a ticket become a drivers primary concern aside from wasting time.

Added: Oh,I've driven through CT more than once. Driving hell - my son who does it more often was the one who introduced me to this fact. That said, few people limiting themselves to the speed limit on the highways, and the last time I actually mentioned a very high percentage of the fastest travelers passing us were Subies :) then Bmrs . . . I was not in my STI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've previously been informed by Fla resident that they don't give drivers speeding tickets in Fla. I rate Fla driving more dangerous than mist places I've driven with half the cars traveling less sometimes far less and half the cars traveling over often far over the limit and a higher percentage than I am used to doing it aggressively. Where i live in NJ few people drive under the limit 8 over is the norm, and quite a few drive quite a bit faster, especially on toll roads. I live on a highway where ticketing is common and I've been told by the police they begin to ticket at 13 over.

This is my response to don't speed. I believe if safest traveling at the same rate as traffic, and except in a traffic jam, that is rarely below the speed limit. Safety ismy first concern snd it unfortunate when avoidance of a ticket become a drivers primary concern aside from wasteing time.

Added: Oh,I've driven through CT more than once. Driving hell - my son who does it more often was the one who introduced me to this fact. That said, few people limiting themselve to the speed limit on the highways, and the last time I actually mentioned a very high percentage of the fastest travelers passing us were Subies :) then Bmrs . . . I was not in my STI.
I can assure you they issues many many thousands of speeding tickets in Florida every year. Its about 50% of all tickets written in a year.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
when i lived in CA, i fought every traffic ticket.. at the time, you could request a 'trial by declaration' which allows you to write and send a statement to the court.. the officer needs to do the same, but often doesnt.

i have also argued my own case in front of a judge with the officer present.. in cases where i lost, the fines were greatly reduced over the 'pay it now' price.

the only downside to challenging a traffic citation is that you need to pay the bail amount.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
get a lawyer only if you have to, most of the time you can get a ticket dismissed on your own, if you are polite and show that you are sincere in not making the same mistakes again. If the cop is giving out too many questionable tickets its also easy to get it dismissed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
usually if u show up to court you get reduced penalties. Only time i got a lawyer is when i was cited for racing and my license was on the line (i got to keep it :) )

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Would i fight a traffic ticket on my own? No! I would rather pay an attorney to go to court on my behalf and handle it depending on what it is. For example a speeding ticket, yes definetly get an attorney. Im not going to take off of work to go waste time in court unless i absolutly have to. I also dont know anyone in the legal system so i dont think i would fare to well on my own anyways in front of a judge/prosecutor.

Now if its something small, then i would just pay it off online and not even bother with an attorney. Basically anytime you have to go to court, a court fee has to be paid here in NJ even for the smallest of matters. For example, even if you get a stupid parking ticket that could be roughly $25 depending on location here. You decide to fight it, and the ticket gets dropped. Thats great, then they hit you with the $33 court fee....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had over 75 tickets in my lifetime. And most all of them, I have contested in court. If you are comfortable with being under cross-examination in a public courtroom, then I recommend you giving it a try. Otherwise, a lawyer is usually the best option considering how the court and auto insurance companies now have access to your entire driving history.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suggest that you should have an attorney when you are in court due to a traffic ticket because they will give you the best advice and what to do to lessen your violation.

---------------------------------
Interlude Home in Alchemy Fine Home
Best collection of Luxury Furniture on the market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts