IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Also, anyone who plans to run the 15+ suspension, DO NOT add lowering springs. The 15+ STI suspension has less bump travel than the GRs. Lowering springs will not only slam the car but you will constantly be on the bump stops.

-Larry
I'm wondering if these in combination with RCE blacks might be the middle ground, with a more substantial drop. I'm more concerned about sloppier handling attributes and we still have the infamous GR toe in issue before we even are out the gate. These may pale in trackability but someone looking at stick struts should be looking elsewhere if that's the goal.
Not sure how Larry's reply come into factor for the 08-10 STIs, but I figure they're not recommended as they would essentially lower even further.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not sure how Larry's reply come into factor for the 08-10 STIs, but I figure they're not recommended as they would essentially lower even further.

I agree. It's a give and take with the GR. I GTWORK personally but the old man in me sees the logic in going for what they're going for here.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I agree. It's a give and take with the GR. I GTWORK personally but the old man in me sees the logic in going for what they're going for here.

Same here, my Fortune Auto 500, although great suspension and awesome adjustability for autox, my body doesn't want the stiff ride anymore, lol.

Stock 2015 STI struts and springs will work perfectly on 08-10 STI. It will lower 1" but you're stuck with the soft springs.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
2008-2010 sti with RCE black would end up like 2011+ oem spring in terms of drop.

RCE have their own extra drop camber plate so different brands different stance.

The toe in I'm not too concerned about, u can always adjust your driving style and line to compensate. Yes it's not ideal but you gotta work with what u have, it's all compromise.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
2008-2010 sti with RCE black would end up like 2011+ oem spring in terms of drop.

RCE have their own extra drop camber plate so different brands different stance.

The toe in I'm not too concerned about, u can always adjust your driving style and line to compensate. Yes it's not ideal but you gotta work with what u have, it's all compromise.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I wonder how the rubbing situation is with a 1.2" drop with the Black's 5.7k/5.7k spring rate. I can drop 2" on my FA500s, and only rub on hard cornering, but I have a stiff 8k/8k Swift springs setup.

Edit: I see what you meant now. The Blacks would essentially drop us 08-10 guys to the same drop as the 11-14 guys with the 15 struts which means that if it works for r3v0, then it'll work for us.

Edit2: Friend reminded me that the springs for the 2015 aren't the same. The spring rates for the Black's I shared above are for the 08-14. The 2015 regular guys' spring rate are 6.25k/5.9k. The drop is 0.4" for the 2015s, so I'm not sure how that would translate to the GRs. Little stiffer than what you can get on the GRs, OEM strut, and a ~1.2-1.4" drop for 08-10?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm actually wondering how low the RCE blacks would go on the newer struts. It might offer a balance of responsiveness if the drop is no too great. I know this would likely lower the car even more. :/

The toe-in issue is while cornering. It's the mounting point of the toe arm that causes the issue under load/hard cornering.
It becomes exacerbated when the car is lowered. Only way around it would be a differently designed rear subframe.

Being that you start to see this with less of a drop...I'm curious to see how a softer spring set-up will react.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm actually wondering how low the RCE blacks would go on the newer struts. It might offer a balance of responsiveness if the drop is no too great. I know this would likely lower the car even more. :/

The toe-in issue is while cornering. It's the mounting point of the toe arm that causes the issue under load/hard cornering.
It becomes exacerbated when the car is lowered. Only way around it would be a differently designed rear subframe.

Being that you start to see this with less of a drop...I'm curious to see how a softer spring set-up will react.
I guess it would be 1.4" total for us when you think about it. 1" from the 2015 STI struts, 0.4" from the 2015 STI blacks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Reference to my question above I got a set of 2016 struts and springs along with the tophats. So should i replace the tophats as well?

Good price 200 USD made only 3000 miles.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Installed the VAB 2016 struts and spring today on my GRB 2012 hatchback.

First impression: the cars feels more rigid any pump are felt inside the cabin but the car is more connected on the road. Body roll significantly improved. Breaking and acceleration is amazing the OEM GRB struts used to nose dive while breaking.

Highway driving has a little vibration feeling on the steering wheel but I guess either from the tyres or because the struts and spring are harsher.

The wobbly effect disappeared completely.

The car is lower by half inch or less.

The VAB 2016 rear struts length is exactly the same as the GRB 2012. But the VAB spring has extra spring coils on the top part.

The VAB 2016 front struts little shorts barely noticable.

I didnot find any bump stopper in the front struts in the 2012 and the 2016. Do you think its missing or its not required?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts